Skip to main content
Topic: Bilstein Shock Question (Read 1568 times) previous topic - next topic

Bilstein Shock Question

Yahoo Message Number: 5031
I have ordered Bilstein shocks for my Kodiak C5500 Four Winds Chateau. I received them but they do not have the nuts for the stems, all of my shocks front and rear are stem to stem. The shocks have straps over the stems to hold them compressed until you go to install them , so I can't match up the threads. Does anyone know what the thread and nut size is for these, I can't find the size on the Bilstein site?

Re: Bilstein Shock Question

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 5032
I'd call Bilstein and they should send them to you. Do you have the new rubber grommets and washers? The nuts should be in the bag with them.

Dave Sparke

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 5033
Attachments :

Interesting that I heard "Bilstein"! I just put those shocks on my coach before our trip. My tire guy suggested those for the back and Monroe for the front. It did seem to really help, but as is with any MH, there was still some swaying (I'm sure you don't want to hear that). It helped with the bumps especially.

Chris Rogers

From: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Dave Sparke
    Sent: Monday, August 09, 2010 1:47 PM
    To: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
    Subject: Re: [KodiakChassisClassC] Bilstein Shock Question

I'd call Bilstein and they should send them to you. Do you have the new rubber grommets and washers? The nuts should be in the bag with them.

Dave Sparke

---

Reply #3
    Yahoo Message Number: 5034
    My front Bilsteins came with the wrong nuts. Called Bilstein, they shipped nuts in a kit that day.
    Best
    Ron Hall

Reply #4
    Yahoo Message Number: 5035
    I had to call to get them from Bilstein. Mine did not have them either. They sent for free but the postage was expensive.

Keith
    Sent from my BlackBerry® smartphone with SprintSpeed

Sender: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
    Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2010 12:42:50 -0700 (PDT)
    To:
    ReplyTo: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
    Subject: [KodiakChassisClassC] Bilstein Shock Question

I have ordered Bilstein shocks for my Kodiak C5500 Four Winds Chateau. I received them but they do not have the nuts for the stems, all of my shocks front and rear are stem to stem. The shocks have straps over the stems to hold them compressed until you go to install them , so I can't match up the threads. Does anyone know what the thread and nut size is for these, I can't find the size on the Bilstein site?

Reply #5
    Yahoo Message Number: 5036
    I would sure love to test the Bilsteins vs. the Koni shocks back to back in the same coach.

What is the price point between the two? I was going to order the Koni shocks for my Dutchmen 34H

Sent: Mon, August 9, 2010 12:42:50 PM
    Subject: [KodiakChassisClassC] Bilstein Shock Question

Reply #6
    Yahoo Message Number: 5037

It would be an interesting comparison. I personally went with the KONI's. Just besure that you get the right ones for the rear. If you have 19,000 rear suspension you need the 90 series.

For what it's worth: KONI makes shocks for rail cars, which do take a little abuse.

Dave Sparke

Reply #7
    Yahoo Message Number: 5038
    Motorhome magazine had a good article several months ago and rated the different shocks. They rated the Bilsteins as best for the money. The did have Konis and several others. It was a good article to read if you can find it.

Keith

Sender: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
    Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2010 13:54:41 -0700 (PDT)
    To:
    ReplyTo: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com

It would be an interesting comparison. I personally went with the KONI's. Just besure that you get the right ones for the rear. If you have 19,000 rear suspension you need the 90 series.

For what it's worth: KONI makes shocks for rail cars, which do take a little abuse.

Dave Sparke

Reply #8
    Yahoo Message Number: 5039
    Whatever shock you choose I'm sure they will work well. I went with Koni because Henderson Line-up in Oregon recommends these shocks for their improvements. I may have a different vehicle from most of you, 2008 Jayco Seneca 36MS with 19000lbs springs, but after I put the Koni's on as my first suspension upgrade, I really do not feel the need to add any more suspension improvements. The sway is gone, big trucks do not move me and I'm driving very comfortably with out the white knuckle effect. In fact, the coach drives very well.

I used the FSD's for the front and the 90-2530 which is now the recommended shocks for the rear.

Here is the schock and the cost on the Koni site.

KONI rv Price: $172.00
    NEW FSD

KONI rv Price: $197.00
    Pin/Pin style - 19(K)lb Rear Axle

Tim

Sent: Mon, August 9, 2010 1:14:57 PM

I would sure love to test the Bilsteins vs. the Koni shocks back to back in the same coach.

What is the price point between the two? I was going to order the Koni shocks for my Dutchmen 34H

To: KodiakChassisClassC @yahoogroups. com
    Subject: [KodiakChassisClass C] Bilstein Shock Question

Reply #9
    Yahoo Message Number: 5040
    I have no doubt that Koni's are the best. But when you bring cost the into the equation Bilsteins look pretty good as MH mag reported (would be nice to get that report - I'll fish around and see what I can find).

One of these days I'll get off my A$$ and make a decision. Airbags OR Shocks (K or B) OR Airbags and Shocks. Maybe even a Safe-T-Plus as well.

Don

Reply #10
    Yahoo Message Number: 5041
    Ah Dave, we have to work as a team. You can be my shill. :)

Think I posted this in June 09.

Nice springs. :)

Don

Reply #11
    Yahoo Message Number: 5042
    The real deal is the the shitty stock shocks are probably not that good at GVWR and are set up for some happy medium between empty and full weight of a delivery truck - Not taking into account the chassis would have a motorhome built on it running at near GVWR all the time. Also the factory shocks do not have compression and rebound damping. When I step of my motorhome step and watch the coach it bounces about 10 times until it is still......... and mine has about 8,000 miles on it.

That all being, I do not find the ride particularly bad, scary, troubling when driving around semi-trucks etc.

I still plan to change out those shocks ASAP.

Mine is a 19,500 GVWR chassis too.

Thanks and I love the various dialogue on this group.

Sent: Mon, August 9, 2010 2:02:29 PM

Whatever shock you choose I'm sure they will work well. I went with Koni because Henderson Line-up in Oregon recommends these shocks for their improvements. I may have a different vehicle from most of you, 2008 Jayco Seneca 36MS with 19000lbs springs, but after I put the Koni's on as my first suspension upgrade, I really do not feel the need to add any more suspension improvements. The sway is gone, big trucks do not move me and I'm driving very comfortably with out the white knuckle effect. In fact, the coach drives very well.

I used the FSD's for the front and the 90-2530 which is now the recommended shocks for the rear.

NEW FSD

Tim

Subject: Re: [KodiakChassisClass C] Bilstein Shock Question

Reply #12
    Yahoo Message Number: 5043
    Victor,

It reminds me when I had my stock shocks and getting the same results. Im sure all of us on this forum who changed out from the stock shocks feel that their new shock investment was well worth every penny. Its funny good shocks do make the difference and recently I was questioned from rv.net if I have ever weighed my self on a scale before one of my trips. I finally did and to my surprise with what I thought was a light load, full tank, 1/2 fill of water, tow dolly, honda odyssey and clothes and normal gear I came in at a whopping 27350lbs. That was 22000lbs for the motorhome and the remaining was my towing. It was an eye opener considering I did not fill up with water. My point is we all probably change the way we load our rigs depending on where we are going. A good pair of shocks in my mind is the first initial suspension upgrade that can truly make the difference that you can feel right away.

Also, if anyone is interested I have a 6 month old PPE tow tuner made for our Kodiak that I need to sell soon. It has provided me with the additional power I need in the hills and combined with good torque. Its a great deal and in excellent condition, if anyone is interested please email back or call me 559-352-1210.

Tim

Sent: Mon, August 9, 2010 4:06:23 PM

The real deal is the the shitty stock shocks are probably not that good at GVWR and are set up for some happy medium between empty and full weight of a delivery truck - Not taking into account the chassis would have a motorhome built on it running at near GVWR all the time. Also the factory shocks do not have compression and rebound damping. When I step of my motorhome step and watch the coach it bounces about 10 times until it is still....... .. and mine has about 8,000 miles on it.

That all being, I do not find the ride particularly bad, scary, troubling when driving around semi-trucks etc.

I still plan to change out those shocks ASAP.

Mine is a 19,500 GVWR chassis too.

Thanks and I love the various dialogue on this group.

Sent: Mon, August 9, 2010 2:02:29 PM

NEW FSD

Tim

Reply #13
    Yahoo Message Number: 5044
    What I have read, short of the Koni's, these are the best for the buck. I have also ordered from McCormick motors KIT-2695. It is a larger stabilizer bar for the front with all the mounting brackets, and extended bumps stops for the rear. They are a dealer in Indiana that modifies the Kodiaks before they go to the different RV builders in the area. It is suppose to help quite a bit with the swaying, without having to go the RSS or Hellwig route.

Sent: Mon, August 9, 2010 3:03:03 PM
    Subject: RE: [KodiakChassisClassC] Bilstein Shock Question

Interesting that I heard "Bilstein"! I just put those shocks on my coach before our trip. My tire guy suggested those for the back and Monroe for the front. It did seem to really help, but as is with any MH, there was still some swaying (I'm sure you don't want to hear that). It helped with the bumps especially.

Chris Rogers

From: KodiakChassisClassC @yahoogroups. com [mailto:KodiakChass isClassC@ yahoogroups. com] On Behalf Of Dave Sparke
    Sent: Monday, August 09, 2010 1:47 PM

Dave Sparke

Reply #14
    Yahoo Message Number: 5045
    Thanks...

Sent: Mon, August 9, 2010 3:05:37 PM
    Subject: [KodiakChassisClassC] Re: Bilstein Shock Question

My front Bilsteins came with the wrong nuts. Called Bilstein, they shipped nuts in a kit that day.
    Best
    Ron Hall

Reply #15
    Yahoo Message Number: 5046
    Thanks...I am sure it was since the shocks came from Germany....I had to wait for them for a while because it was a special order.

Sent: Mon, August 9, 2010 3:08:16 PM

I had to call to get them from Bilstein. Mine did not have them either. They sent for free but the postage was expensive.

Keith

Sender: KodiakChassisClassC @yahoogroups. com
    Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2010 12:42:50 -0700 (PDT)
    To:
    ReplyTo: KodiakChassisClassC @yahoogroups. com

Reply #16
    Yahoo Message Number: 5047
    Last I checked, I think it was around $175 per shock if you can find them at a discount. I paid around $360 for all 4 for the Bilsteins, but my Kodiak requires stem-to-stem all around, where if you have the other setup, it will be around $40 bucks less total.

Sent: Mon, August 9, 2010 3:14:57 PM

Reply #17
    Yahoo Message Number: 5048
    Thanks for the information. I will let you know how it rides after I install them.

Sent: Mon, August 9, 2010 3:54:41 PM

Dave Sparke

Reply #18
    Yahoo Message Number: 5049
    Peter, McCormick prep'd the Kodiaks for more than just the dealers in the area. They also provided them to Bigfoot in British Columbia (and they got stung for several hundred thousand bucks when Bigfoot suddenly went under). I don't think McCormick did any modifications (at least not that I'm aware of). The MH manufacturers got them from McCormick and later they would be sent to Mor/Ryde for chassis and wheelbase extensions (the manufacturers claim that they can't really order a variety of WB lengths since they don't know what their orders will be and thus they have to buy the shortest and then extend as needed - something I'm not in love with since it can have an impact on the warranty).

McCormick has a few Kodiak chassis on its lot still (few if any 5500's though) and is now a Hino and Isuzu truck dealer. The minute GM announced the closing of the MD truck plant in Lansing in July 2009 McCormick lost in excess of half of its business (they provided Kodiaks throughout the entire range for firetrucks, ambulances, buses, MHs, etc).

We just had work done there in July after the rally and in April 2009 they replaced the ring and pinion. I've found dealing with them pretty good. Gordon Moore (one of the two owners) has been very helpful.

Don

Reply #19
    Yahoo Message Number: 5054
    Thanks for the information...I believe their website stated they installed over 800 Stabilride kits.. in either case, their solution is a 2.5" bar over the existing 2.0" one that my RV came with. They claims the larger size bar will flex less equating to less sway. I dealt with Ray, the parts manager and was pleasant to deal with. I will let you know how the ride is after the install.

Sent: Tue, August 10, 2010 8:47:14 AM

Peter, McCormick prep'd the Kodiaks for more than just the dealers in the area. They also provided them to Bigfoot in British Columbia (and they got stung for several hundred thousand bucks when Bigfoot suddenly went under). I don't think McCormick did any modifications (at least not that I'm aware of). The MH manufacturers got them from McCormick and later they would be sent to Mor/Ryde for chassis and wheelbase extensions (the manufacturers claim that they can't really order a variety of WB lengths since they don't know what their orders will be and thus they have to buy the shortest and then extend as needed - something I'm not in love with since it can have an impact on the warranty).

McCormick has a few Kodiak chassis on its lot still (few if any 5500's though) and is now a Hino and Isuzu truck dealer. The minute GM announced the closing of the MD truck plant in Lansing in July 2009 McCormick lost in excess of half of its business (they provided Kodiaks throughout the entire range for firetrucks, ambulances, buses, MHs, etc).

We just had work done there in July after the rally and in April 2009 they replaced the ring and pinion. I've found dealing with them pretty good. Gordon Moore (one of the two owners) has been very helpful.

Don

Reply #20
    Yahoo Message Number: 5055
    When I first got my Jayco 33DS, it swayed like crazy. I immediately put some Firestone air bags on and that fixed the problem. I tow a jeep and I don't have any issues with steering straight or tail wagging, but I would sure like to smooth out the up and down motion on bumpy roads. I asked a very reputable local RV repair place that I wanted to install Konis, but they said that since I already have the airbags, the shocks weren't going to help much. I think he said something to the effect (memory not so good...conversation was a year ago) that the air bags and shocks would be working against each other??? Since he could have just said "yes", and taken my money, I figured he was giving me his honest opinion. Anyone done the air bags / shocks upgrade? Opinions?

-Tom

Reply #21
    Yahoo Message Number: 5056
    Thanks for the suggestions all... I called Bilstein in North Carolina (704-663-7563) and they are sending the install kits out for free. For future reference for anyone that is buying Bilsteins:

The nut size is M12 x 1.75 for the stem mount version of shocks

The part number for the fronts are F4-BE5-C253-HO, price at shockwarehouse.com is 78.41 each
    The part number for the eye mount rears are F4-BE5-C254-HO price at shockwarehouse.com is 78.41 each
    The part number for stem-to-stem rears are F4-BE5-F325-HO price at shockwarehouse.com is 89.57 each

all the above, shipping is free. here is the link - http://www.shockwarehouse.com/index.cfm?mode=results&selected_model=281724&selected_year=2005

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Sent: Mon, August 9, 2010 3:05:37 PM

Best
    Ron Hall

Reply #22
    Yahoo Message Number: 5057
    McCormick installed the Stabil-ride kit and some other items on the chassis before delivering to manufactures. The manufactures delivered the chassis's to Mor-ryde.
    As a side note. We looked at all 7 of the Kodiak's at the rally. All had the 2 1/2" front bar except the Seneca's. There were 5 Seneca's at the rally. I have suggested that Seneca owners should install the Stabil-Ride kit before they install anything else on the MH. McCormick also had a kit with Bilsteins.
    Bilsteins are 1/2 the price of a set of Koni's. A suspension up-grader that I talked to at a rally told me that for leaf springs, Bilsteins would work very well.
    Best
    Ron Hall

Reply #23
    Yahoo Message Number: 5058
    Thanks and you confirmed the direction that I am taking should show some positive results. I am going to wait until I get the parts from McCormick (should be here by next week) before I change out the shocks - want to do both at the same time. I will let you know how it rides compared to before the changes.
    Thanks to everyone for their input...
    Peter

Sent: Tue, August 10, 2010 1:06:25 PM

McCormick installed the Stabil-ride kit and some other items on the chassis before delivering to manufactures. The manufactures delivered the chassis's to Mor-ryde.
    As a side note. We looked at all 7 of the Kodiak's at the rally. All had the 2 1/2" front bar except the Seneca's. There were 5 Seneca's at the rally. I have suggested that Seneca owners should install the Stabil-Ride kit before they install anything else on the MH. McCormick also had a kit with Bilsteins.
    Bilsteins are 1/2 the price of a set of Koni's. A suspension up-grader that I talked to at a rally told me that for leaf springs, Bilsteins would work very well.
    Best
    Ron Hall

Reply #24
    Yahoo Message Number: 5059
    During the rally the group noticed that only ONE of the 7 MHs had the 2.5 inch bar as standard - MINE- a gasser.

McCormick would like to have seen the MH manufacturers request an air suspension but what they had in mind was about $5000 so it was a no go. I think it should have been offered as an option. Putting it on the cutaway chassis would have been a lot less expensive than a completed MH. I suggested to Gordon that even the $300 airbags would have been a substantial improvement for most owners.

Is is Ray's last name Wolfe.

Don

Reply #25
    Yahoo Message Number: 5060
    they put the 2.5" bar on my 2010 36FK.

i'm adding an article to the files section thats worth a read,

Motorhome Handling Problems & Solutions
    A Primer by Gary Brinck

don

Reply #26
    Yahoo Message Number: 5061
    I didn't catch his last name but when you call and ask for Ray in parts, there is only one.

Sent: Tue, August 10, 2010 1:33:33 PM

During the rally the group noticed that only ONE of the 7 MHs had the 2.5 inch bar as standard - MINE- a gasser.

McCormick would like to have seen the MH manufacturers request an air suspension but what they had in mind was about $5000 so it was a no go. I think it should have been offered as an option. Putting it on the cutaway chassis would have been a lot less expensive than a completed MH. I suggested to Gordon that even the $300 airbags would have been a substantial improvement for most owners.

Is is Ray's last name Wolfe.

Don

Reply #27
    Yahoo Message Number: 5062
    I thought Brinch was pretty soft in this comment:

Reply #28
    Yahoo Message Number: 5063
    You have brought up some very interesting points. I often wondered why they build the motorhomes with such a short wheelbase and large overhang in the back. My days when I worked at a towing outfit, when we stretched a tractor to put the booms on, the wheels were much further back to compensate for the load we were putting on the chassis. Otherwise, you would add a whole new meeting to the the term "wheels up". A lot of the custom coaches like the Haulmarks, if you look, they have much longer wheelbases than the Kodiak and other chassis for the Four Winds, Gulfstream, and that others use. Maybe the turning radius was the reason they don't stretch the coach, it would be much worse with the longer wheelbase and harder to manuever around campgrounds. I know with my 34', I have to take some driveways at an anlge to avoid dragging the "tail".
    Peter

Sent: Tue, August 10, 2010 4:22:07 PM
    Subject: Re: [KodiakChassisClassC] Re: Bilstein Shock Question

I thought Brinch was pretty soft in this comment:

Reply #29
    Yahoo Message Number: 5064
    Peter, "cheap" is one of the reasons for the shorter wheelbase I think. They say (and Paul will be reading this) that they have to get the short one and lengthen because GM could not provide the chassis they want on the wb they want fast enough after they determine they have a build for a particular length. Drives me nuts even thinking about it. Jayco was the biggest in this market and McCormick was providing them with 800 to 900 Kodiaks every year.

I've always felt there is a trade-off with the short WB vs long WB. Yes, going around corners can be a bit more difficult with a long WB (our previous A was a 41 ft DP) BUT, with a long tail and short WB you get an opportunity to knock off the gas pumps if you aren't really careful. I've come close but I have to say when I'm pulling away from a pump it usually means a tight turn and my first priority is to watch the pumps beside the MH and make sure "I don't even come close."

Given a choice, I'd take a Haulmark or Kingsley over a Kodiak based MH if the cost/benefit equation made sense. I'm hoping that Jayco's replacement for the Kodiak - Freightliner/Mercedes M2 with Cummins (ISC) will have won't be overloaded and will have a nice high wb/length ratio.

Don

Reply #30
    Yahoo Message Number: 5065
    our 36FK has the longest wb of seneca family at 268.5" with the length being 10" shorter than the mega slide.

that along with the weight added to the front axle were part and partial to my decession.

the FK is 61.2%,

the FS is 58.2%

the MS is 57.9%

the GS is 57.2%

don

Reply #31
    Yahoo Message Number: 5073
    One thing to remember is that the Freightliner type class C's are built with hitches that can support up to 5'000 lbs. Our Kodiak based MH's can support 1,000 lbs at most. Tow up to 10,000 pounds. Rear and front axle weight limits on the Freightliner chassis are heavier for the load that they may carry or tow. Axle needs to be farther back to support the trailer weight. Front axle needs to be heavier because there is no counter weight behind rear axle to take weight off front axle.
    Best
    Ron Hall