they put the 2.5" bar on my 2010 36FK.

i'm adding an article to the files section thats worth a read,

Motorhome Handling Problems & Solutions
A Primer by Gary Brinck

don

Re: Bilstein Shock Question

Reply #26
Yahoo Message Number: 5061
I didn't catch his last name but when you call and ask for Ray in parts, there is only one.

To: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Tue, August 10, 2010 1:33:33 PM
Subject: Re: [KodiakChassisClassC] Bilstein Shock Question

During the rally the group noticed that only ONE of the 7 MHs had the 2.5 inch bar as standard - MINE- a gasser.

McCormick would like to have seen the MH manufacturers request an air suspension but what they had in mind was about $5000 so it was a no go. I think it should have been offered as an option. Putting it on the cutaway chassis would have been a lot less expensive than a completed MH. I suggested to Gordon that even the $300 airbags would have been a substantial improvement for most owners.

Is is Ray's last name Wolfe.

Don

Reply #27
Yahoo Message Number: 5062
I thought Brinch was pretty soft in this comment:

Reply #28
Yahoo Message Number: 5063
You have brought up some very interesting points. I often wondered why they build the motorhomes with such a short wheelbase and large overhang in the back. My days when I worked at a towing outfit, when we stretched a tractor to put the booms on, the wheels were much further back to compensate for the load we were putting on the chassis. Otherwise, you would add a whole new meeting to the the term "wheels up". A lot of the custom coaches like the Haulmarks, if you look, they have much longer wheelbases than the Kodiak and other chassis for the Four Winds, Gulfstream, and that others use. Maybe the turning radius was the reason they don't stretch the coach, it would be much worse with the longer wheelbase and harder to manuever around campgrounds. I know with my 34', I have to take some driveways at an anlge to avoid dragging the "tail".
Peter

To: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Tue, August 10, 2010 4:22:07 PM
Subject: Re: [KodiakChassisClassC] Re: Bilstein Shock Question

I thought Brinch was pretty soft in this comment:

Reply #29
Yahoo Message Number: 5064
Peter, "cheap" is one of the reasons for the shorter wheelbase I think. They say (and Paul will be reading this) that they have to get the short one and lengthen because GM could not provide the chassis they want on the wb they want fast enough after they determine they have a build for a particular length. Drives me nuts even thinking about it. Jayco was the biggest in this market and McCormick was providing them with 800 to 900 Kodiaks every year.

I've always felt there is a trade-off with the short WB vs long WB. Yes, going around corners can be a bit more difficult with a long WB (our previous A was a 41 ft DP) BUT, with a long tail and short WB you get an opportunity to knock off the gas pumps if you aren't really careful. I've come close but I have to say when I'm pulling away from a pump it usually means a tight turn and my first priority is to watch the pumps beside the MH and make sure "I don't even come close."

Given a choice, I'd take a Haulmark or Kingsley over a Kodiak based MH if the cost/benefit equation made sense. I'm hoping that Jayco's replacement for the Kodiak - Freightliner/Mercedes M2 with Cummins (ISC) will have won't be overloaded and will have a nice high wb/length ratio.

Don

Reply #30
Yahoo Message Number: 5065
our 36FK has the longest wb of seneca family at 268.5" with the length being 10" shorter than the mega slide.

that along with the weight added to the front axle were part and partial to my decession.

the FK is 61.2%,

the FS is 58.2%

the MS is 57.9%

the GS is 57.2%

don

Reply #31
Yahoo Message Number: 5073
One thing to remember is that the Freightliner type class C's are built with hitches that can support up to 5'000 lbs. Our Kodiak based MH's can support 1,000 lbs at most. Tow up to 10,000 pounds. Rear and front axle weight limits on the Freightliner chassis are heavier for the load that they may carry or tow. Axle needs to be farther back to support the trailer weight. Front axle needs to be heavier because there is no counter weight behind rear axle to take weight off front axle.
Best
Ron Hall