Skip to main content
Topic: 2011 Senecas? (Read 2951 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Duramax Upgrade Issues. Overpower Issues

Reply #25
Yahoo Message Number: 5189
Thanks . . . This will make it easier to keep in my files. I think some of these problems come from guys who get greedy and go for the most horsepower they can get AND turn up the speed limiter. When you look at the problems, they're generally related to heat.

George

Reply #27
Yahoo Message Number: 5191
Its all about EGT's (exhaust gas temperature). Best to have a EGT gauge even on a stock engine.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #28
Yahoo Message Number: 5194
My son works at a Chevrolet dealer and they come across many customers that install programers, have an engine failure, then remove the device before the service and swear they weren't using a programmer. What I have learned, some programmers overwrite or reset certain areas in the factory control unit that is a tell tale sign that the factory settings were altered.

Reply #29
Yahoo Message Number: 5195
my best friend is the chief mechanic at our GM dealership and he says the PPE does not alter anything if you set back to GM specs. Dane

Reply #31
Yahoo Message Number: 5200
Your friend is right. Some of the power-up devices can also set the ECM back to the factory settings. In fact, the factory bulletin we were discussing http://tinyurl.com/38dntyp specifically tells the technicians that their GM TECH 2 Scanners may not tell whether a tuning change had been made, then switched back. That's why they ask their mechanics to look for a series of specific failure issues that over-powering may cause--and not rely on reading the ECM.

George

Reply #32
Yahoo Message Number: 5205
What about the new engines. I have a 2008 MoHo with a 2007 Chassis / motor - so it has the particulate filter / burner mechanism etc.

Is there a tuner I can run on this engine? Actually the thing goes like a banshee stock and not much causes it to slow down.

Reply #33
Yahoo Message Number: 5206
You should have the LMM - Duramax. There are gadgets to turn up the power, but if it "goes like a banshee," why change--at least while it is under warranty?

This engine in the Kodiak came with a couple HP/TQ options (LRX - 300hp/520 torque), (LYE - 330hp/620 torque). My Seneca has the LYE. You may already have the increased HP/TQ version. Here's a link describing the Duramax LMM engine: http://tinyurl.com/27z9pub

George

Reply #34
Yahoo Message Number: 5210
I just wanted to mention a couple of things based on my personal experience with my RV. I tune because I want the additional horsepower and torque in the hills only. The tune I use is a tow tune that provides me with only 63 additional horsepower at the rear wheels. Most tuners you see give you numbers at the flywheel not the rear wheels. So my 90 horsepower/160 torque tune is really 63 horsepower/112 torque at the rear wheels. It works great and I can go up the hills and get out of the trucker lane. If you have ever gotten ready for a trip loaded with fuel, water and your dingy, and everything else you bring on the trip like clothes, food etc. This is the time you need to weigh yourself. I did and I was quite surprised when I came in at a whopping 27,350. The additional horsepower and torque gets my but up the hill at a very reasonable speed. Everywhere else I just want the additional mileage. I was able to get 2 more miles per gallon using my PPE tuner. PPE claims and so does everyone else who sells PPE tuners that you can go back to stock without a trace. They are very easy to do and you can change a tune or go back to stock literally in minutes.

Here is one of the most important things to remember whether your tuning your rig or not. I will say that every diesel mechanic that I have talk to will say the same thing, if you have a diesel invest in a Pyrometer. If you have ever gone up a hill loaded for a trip and towing and your foot is all the way down, your EGT's have to be getting high. My buddy at RV.net has a Pyrometer on his Seneca without tuning and when he is going up hills he is around 1375. Keep in mind you do not want to go over 1400. The challenge is how do you really know how high your getting without a Pyrometer. I'm not trying to create fear just awareness. I was able to purchase two good looking guages at Summit Racing, the Tranny Temp and Pyro that match and had them both installed for $175. Normally I do these things myself but I did not want to tap into the manifold and mess up. Its a great investment that will give you piece of mind when your on your trips.

Reply #35
Yahoo Message Number: 5213
I have the same engine as you and I use the PPE tuner that you can set either 60, 90 or 120 but I use the 60 and that is plenty,
Dane

Reply #36
Yahoo Message Number: 5218
Which PPE Produect / model? How does it effect your particulate filter and burn-off?

Reply #37
Yahoo Message Number: 5219
If your interested go to Grimm Performance

www.grimmperformance.com

Ask for Kirk and let him know you spoke with Tim Garver and see if he will give you a deal. They have probably the best pricing on this product. It's less expensive than the PPE web site. The product is for Kodiak/Topkick and just match you year.

Reply #38
Yahoo Message Number: 5220
I think part of it is my coach is on 19.5K#s chassis and loaded with everything is 19.6K#s (water/fuel etc etc etc.) plus my tow car full of crap 3k#s so I seem to be at 22.3K #s total GCW

I am lighter than the heavier Senecas - why I did not buy a 36SS (bunkhouse) that is 38' long and bough the Dutchhmen 34H (bunkhouse) and is 34'2" long Plus the Dutchmen is full height inside as I found the Senecas claustrophobic.

Up the Cajon / Grapevine etc. I am just fine. My only issue is when towing and having to legally stay in the right two lanes and getting stuck behind slow moving trucks.

Reply #39
Yahoo Message Number: 5224
Victor, I'm curious. Where do you legally have to stay in the right two lanes.

I assume that you believe you are driving a "truck" rather than a "car." My Kodiak is licensed as a car (guess it goes back to the California "house car" days) and I don't have to adhere to any truck speed limits or lane restrictions. As a matter of practice where it comes to safety and convenience of others I do stick to the right. My Tahoe is licensed as a car but my previous toad, a Colorado, was licensed as a truck.

Don

Reply #40
Yahoo Message Number: 5228
It has nothing to do with car/truck/side of vehicle - the key issue in Calfornia and most states is that WHEN PULLING A TRAILER [ANYTHING IN TOW] YOU MUST STAY IN THE RIGHT TWO LANES.

That is my pet peeve seeing these jackasses in overloaded toyhaulers going 80 in the left lanes.

Reply #41
Yahoo Message Number: 5229
Is that really the case with "most states" Vic? We take I-75 from Michigan to FLA every year on have never seen a right land restriction when towing in Michigan, Ohio, Kentucky, Tennessee, Georgia or Florida. When we had one of our DPs and went to Gaffney and we came home via N & S Carolina, Virginia, W Virg, Penn and NY and never noticed it there either. Also went through NY, Mass, NH and Maine to a rally and never saw such requirement. Maybe it is just in the "west" that it exists - or have I been driving blind?

I was aware you had a 55 MPH towing limit in CA and a 40 ft length limit before having to get an upgraded license (our Ambassador came with a CHIP video informing us of the requirement - and then saying if we were from out of state and could drive our rig with our license in our home state/province we could drive it in CA). As I recall from one trip planning effort (never went though) if you are over 40 ft you cannot travel on a lot of roads.

Don

Reply #42
Yahoo Message Number: 5243
That is my pet peeve seeing these jackasses in overloaded toyhaulers going 80 in the left lanes.

Saw one of these Jack Asses yesterday on the north 55 in orange IN THE CARPOOL LANE .. another no-no in CA.

In CA, they don't post that you can't be in the left lanes, you have to read the towing laws in the DMV book or online. They only post as others have said..... all vehicles when towing are 55.

Reply #43
Yahoo Message Number: 5248
It does not effect anything at all except power. Call PPE and tell them you have a Kodiak 5500 RV and they will build you a unit and ship within a couple of days. I got mine for under around 300 but do not know what they are now. Real easy to program and you will be pleasantly surprised at the results. Dane