Skip to main content
Topic: LED Replacement - Over Desk Lamp (Read 502 times) previous topic - next topic

LED Replacement - Over Desk Lamp

Yahoo Message Number: 4389
Attachments :

LED Journeys Continued
    So in my previous posts I have been fortunate enough to discover good replacements for 922 - wedge style external lights and shower light. I also found a good replacement for the hot halogen hockey pucks (891 Replacement). We are also happy with 1383 Replacements (those finger burners over the bed). My next step is the desk lamp.
    Vanity Lights - Desk Application
    And what about those Vanity lights (2099) - the over sink lights are non replaceable for aesthetic reasons (unless I go to a new fixture), but that is not the only place they crop up. We have them over the desk, and they are about 13w per bulb! Nor are these lights bright enough for some desk tasks. So the challenge is to find a bayonet replacement that will generate more light and use less energy.

Desk Lamp
    Here is an interesting idea - the spider light. These LED towers are made to insert through small openings and then pop open. The benefit for this application is that we get downward focused light, which is what we need over the desk.

Closed "Spider" Light
    When the sophisticated rubber band is removed the panels pop open revealing 30 lensed LEDs.

Spider Light deployed
    This allows the light to be focused directly away from the bayonet socket, which is what we need for the over desk light.

Bayonet socket
    A quick test though shows a couple of problems. Problem number one is that the splayed lights contact the fixture glass diffuser. Second problem is that the flair after the bayonet socket starts within the socket case for the existing fixture. I reduced one of the socket cases to test, but I was not happy with the result. So while totally cool and a bit Rube Goldberg - I just needed another answer. It came in a suggestion from Ron Hall - Ron found a bulb from "tuningpro" available on ebay that is shown here:

"tuningpro" 1156 Replacement
    This bulb worked fantastic and here it is in the lamp

3x19 LED bulbs over Desk
    It is important to make sure you also test with diffusers on - because LEDs have a reputation for generating very specific frequency and directional light. So for example if you put a red filter over a while LED you get exactly no light past the Red lens. So the light output can be greatly reduced if the wrong or colored diffuser is used. In this case everything worked out great.

Over Desk Lamp with LEDs
    The diffuser did reflect some of the light from the LEDs, but not enough to prevent the desk from being well illuminated. The quality of the light is also improved so that there is a good amount of project light on the desk for close up and fine work.
    Honestly these bulbs could also function as 1383 replacements except that they are cool rather than warm white. If you can live with Cool white then these are a very good light source that cuts down on generated heat. They are also very inexpensive (
    Well that is the end of the LED journey for me. I have enough light and better quality light at much reduced wattage. The remainder of the lights are seldom used, or will just be left off while boondocking. I have still not found anything that is compelling enough to motivate me to change out the fluorescent fixtures.
    Suggestions welcome
    Kevin (Real) McCoy [KF5FUZ / WQJE447]
    ("Roscoe Ventura" Jayco Seneca HD SS 34 Diesel 2006; "Toad" Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2007)

Re: LED Replacement - Over Desk Lamp

Reply #1
    Yahoo Message Number: 4390
    Kevin
    I like the spider light. What did that cost? Have you tried the 1156 LED replacement in the reading lights? I have some other lights that are on a circuit board, 24 and 30 LEDS that fit in the wedge type fixtures. Light the place up good. Did have a problem with one of the wires breaking. A little solder and all was OK again. The wedge lights are hard to find. Here is one I found with a adapter.
    EBAY seller 1 Here is another one. EBAY seller 2 It took me a while to find them at a price I wanted to pay. Finally sent a question to one of the sellers asking for a quote on 10 of them with free shipping. Sent me back a quote that was about $10 each. I am happy with my LEDS and Florescent lights. May not look as good as the Nickel plated lights that came in RV. But no heat and very little current draw.
    Best
    Ron Hall

Reply #2
    Yahoo Message Number: 4391
    Yes - Tuningpro's 1156 replacements, they work great as the reading light, but Sandy said I had to use a warm white bulb back there (sigh). Otherwise more than adequate for the job if you don't mind cool white. And the price was great. So for now they are just being used at the dining room table.
    On the wedgies - try http://superlumination.com/194.htm - You can get them in 5, 9, 18,and 25 leds - so you can tune to how much light or power savings you want. I used the 18 LED version currently in the shower (A bit bright), and in both external lights. They were $8. In general these led Bulbs run from 8 - 12 dollars per bulb depending on the number of LEDs.
    The spider lights and other bayonet style bulbs you can find at http://superlumination.com/1156_1157.htm and the prices vary, but I haven't found anything as good as tuningpro on ebay. And the spiderlights are fun, but honestly I have not found a good application yet. I think the one I was playing with was $20 and had around 30 Surface Mount LEDs on it.
    ("Roscoe Ventura" Jayco Seneca HD SS 34 Diesel 2006;
    "Toad" Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2007)

center
    From: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of ronjhallsr
    Sent: Thursday, April 29, 2010 11:47 AM
    To: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
    Subject: [KodiakChassisClassC] Re: LED Replacement - Over Desk Lamp

Kevin
    I like the spider light. What did that cost? Have you tried the 1156 LED replacement in the reading lights? I have some other lights that are on a circuit board, 24 and 30 LEDS that fit in the wedge type fixtures. Light the place up good. Did have a problem with one of the wires breaking. A little solder and all was OK again. The wedge lights are hard to find. Here is one I found with a adapter.
    EBAY seller 1 Here is another one. EBAY seller 2 It took me a while to find them at a price I wanted to pay. Finally sent a question to one of the sellers asking for a quote on 10 of them with free shipping. Sent me back a quote that was about $10 each. I am happy with my LEDS and Florescent lights. May not look as good as the Nickel plated lights that came in RV. But no heat and very little current draw.
    Best
    Ron Hall

--- In KodiakChassisClassC @yahoogroups. com, "Kevin \(Real\) McCoy"  wrote:
    LED Journeys Continued

So in my previous posts I have been fortunate enough to discover good
    replacements for 922 - wedge style external lights and shower light. I  also found a good replacement for the hot halogen hockey pucks (891 Replacement) .
    We are also happy with 1383 Replacements (those finger burners over the
    bed). My next step is the desk lamp.

And what about those Vanity lights (2099) - the over sink lights are non
    replaceable for aesthetic reasons (unless I go to a new fixture), but tha  t is not the only place they crop up. We have them over the desk, and they
    are about 13w per bulb! Nor are these lights bright enough for some desk
    tasks. So the challenge is to find a bayonet replacement that will  generate more light and use less energy.

Desk Lamp

Here is an interesting idea - the spider light. These LED towers are
    made to insert through small openings and then pop open. The benefit for
    this application is that we get downward focused light, which is what we
    need over the desk.

Closed "Spider" Light

When the sophisticated rubber band is removed the panels pop open
    revealing 30 lensed LEDs.

Spider Light deployed

This allows the light to be focused directly away from the bayonet
    soc ket, which is what we need for the over desk light.

Bayonet socket

A quick test though shows a couple of problems. Problem number one is
    that the splayed lights contact the fixture glass diffuser. Second problem
    is that the flair after the bayonet socket starts within the socket case  for the existing fixture. I reduced one of the socket cases to test, but I was
    not happy with the result. So while totally cool and a bit Rube Goldberg -
    I just needed another answer. It came in a suggestion from Ron Hall - Ron
    found a bulb from "tuningpro" available on ebay that is shown
    here:

3x19 LED bulbs over Desk

It is important to make su re you also test with diffusers on - because
    LEDs have a reputation for generating very specific frequency and
    directional light. So for example if you put a red filter over a while LED
    you get exactly no light past the Red lens. So the light output can be
    greatly reduced if the wrong or colored diffuser is used. In this case
    everything worked out great.

Over Desk Lamp with LEDs

The diffuser did reflect some of the light from the LEDs, but not enough  to prevent the desk from being well illuminated. The quality of the light is
    also improved so that there is a good amount of project light on the desk
    for close up and fine work.

Honestly these bulbs could also function as 1383 replacements except
    that they are cool rather than warm white. If you can live with Cool white
    then these are a very good light source t hat cuts down on generated heat.
    They are also very inexpensive ( you can get at an RV or Marine specialty store. Note that this price is also
    for two lights!

Well that is the end of the LED journey for me. I have enough light and
    better quality light at much reduced wattage. The remainder of the lights
    are seldom used, or will just be left off while boondocking. I have still
    not found anything that is compelling enough to motivate me to change out
    the fluorescent fixtures.

Suggestions welcome

"Toad" Jeep Wrangler

Unlimited 2007)

Reply #3
    Yahoo Message Number: 4392
    Woops. I think I sent the wrong URL. The 9 and 18 LED bulbs I wrote up previously (with power calculations) are 10 - 12 $ and at the following URL - http://superlumination.com/906.htm and they are wedgies. K

center
    From: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Kevin (Real) McCoy
    Sent: Thursday, April 29, 2010 12:35 PM
    To: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
    Subject: RE: [KodiakChassisClassC] Re: LED Replacement - Over Desk Lamp

Yes - Tuningpro's 1156 replacements, they work great as the reading light, but Sandy said I had to use a warm white bulb back there (sigh). Otherwise more than adequate for the job if you don't mind cool white. And the price was great. So for now they are just being used at the dining room table.
    On the wedgies - try http://superluminat ion.com/194. htm - You can get them in 5, 9, 18,and 25 leds - so you can tune to how much light or power savings you want. I used the 18 LED version currently in the shower (A bit bright), and in both external lights. They were $8. In general these led Bulbs run from 8 - 12 dollars per bulb depending on the number of LEDs.
    The spider lights and other bayonet style bulbs you can find at http://superluminat ion.com/1156_ 1157.htm and the prices vary, but I haven't found anything as good as tuningpro on ebay. And the spiderlights are fun, but honestly I have not found a good application yet. I think the one I was playing with was $20 and had around 30 Surface Mount LEDs on it.
    "Toad" Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2007)

center
    From: KodiakChassisClassC @yahoogroups. com [mailto:KodiakChass isClassC@ yahoogroups. com] On Behalf Of ronjhallsr
    Sent: Thursday, April 29, 2010 11:47 AM
    To: KodiakChassisClassC @yahoogroups. com
    Subject: [KodiakChassisClass C] Re: LED Replacement - Over Desk Lamp

Kevin
    Best
    Ron Hall

--- In KodiakChassisClassC @yahoogroups. com, "Kevin \(Real\) McCoy"  wrote:
    LED Journeys Continued

So in my previous posts I have been fortunate enough to discover good
    replacements for 922 - wedge style external lights and shower light. I  also found a good replacement for the hot halogen hockey pucks (891 Replacement) .
    We are also happy with 1383 Replacements (those finger burners over the
    bed). My next step is the desk lamp.

And what about those Vanity lights (2099) - the over sink lights are non
    replaceable for aesthetic reasons (unless I go to a new fixture), but tha  t is not the only place they crop up. We have them over the desk, and they
    are about 13w per bulb! Nor are these lights bright enough for some desk
    tasks. So the challenge is to find a bayonet replacement that will  generate more light and use less energy.

Desk Lamp

Here is an interesting idea - the spider light. These LED towers are
    made to insert through small openings and then pop open. The benefit for
    this application is that we get downward focused light, which is what we
    need over the desk.

Closed "Spider" Light

When the sophisticated rubber band is removed the panels pop open
    revealing 30 lensed LEDs.

Spider Light deployed

This allows the light to be focused directly away from the bayonet
    soc ket, which is what we need for the over desk light.

Bayonet socket

A quick test though shows a couple of problems. Problem number one is
    that the splayed lights contact the fixture glass diffuser. Second problem
    is that the flair after the bayonet socket starts within the socket case  for the existing fixture. I reduced one of the socket cases to test, but I was
    not happy with the result. So while totally cool and a bit Rube Goldberg -
    I just needed another answer. It came in a suggestion from Ron Hall - Ron
    found a bulb from "tuningpro" available on ebay that is shown
    here:

3x19 LED bulbs over Desk

It is important to make su re you also test with diffusers on - because
    LEDs have a reputation for generating very specific frequency and
    directional light. So for example if you put a red filter over a while LED
    you get exactly no light past the Red lens. So the light output can be
    greatly reduced if the wrong or colored diffuser is used. In this case
    everything worked out great.

Over Desk Lamp with LEDs

The diffuser did reflect some of the light from the LEDs, but not enough  to prevent the desk from being well illuminated. The quality of the light is
    also improved so that there is a good amount of project light on the desk
    for close up and fine work.

Honestly these bulbs could also function as 1383 replacements except
    that they are cool rather than warm white. If you can live with Cool white
    then these are a very good light source t hat cuts down on generated heat.
    They are also very inexpensive ( you can get at an RV or Marine specialty store. Note that this price is also
    for two lights!

Well that is the end of the LED journey for me. I have enough light and
    better quality light at much reduced wattage. The remainder of the lights
    are seldom used, or will just be left off while boondocking. I have still
    not found anything that is compelling enough to motivate me to change out
    the fluorescent fixtures.

Suggestions welcome

"Toad" Jeep Wrangler

Unlimited 2007)