Skip to main content
Topic: Kodiak Chassis Class C Rally July 15th -18, 2010 (Read 1316 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Kodiak Chassis Class C Rally July 15th -18, 2010

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 3561
Ron I am registered. I think anyway did not ask for anything but name and I have stayed there with rallys before. Look forward to meeting you and the gang. Dane

Surge protection

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 3915
I've been living on borrowed time probably, but I've never used a
surge/voltage protection device on my motorhome. I'm thinking it might
be time to change that.

What's everyone using and what would be your suggestion?
Places...prices....features.....whatever.

Thanks
Greg

Re: Surge protection

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 3916
Greg . . . Even the cheapest surge protector is better than none.

You can use a "whole house" type protector if there is room in your AC box. It plugs into the box just like adding another circuit breaker. I'm relying on individual protectors. For the electronics up front, I use a power strip designed for computers and entertainment centers (don't get anything that will not absorb AT LEAST 1000 Joules of energy). For the refrigerator, microwave, rear TV etc. I use individual protectors.

Bottom line, if it has a printed circuit board, try to protect it. Last summer, I lost over $1000 in electronics. I forgot to protect the DC converter, a freezer, some power cubes and more. Fortunately, all the other electronics survived.

George

With this RV, I'm relying on individual protectors. All the electronics up front plugs into one power strip designed for computers and home entertainment. I wouldn't choose any power strip that won'r absorb and ground at least 1000 joules of energy

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 3918
Don't RV's have built in surge protection in the electrical transfer boxes?I have a 2010 Seneca if it matters.

From: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Gary Myers
Sent: Wednesday, March 17, 2010 10:57 AM
To: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [KodiakChassisClassC] Surge protection

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/product/portable-surge-guard/2279
This is the type that I have for 50 amp, so far has worked great and no problems

George Hooper wrote:

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 3919
I have been using a Portable 50 amp Surge Guard for over 3 years now with no problems. Camping World has them on sale at this time for $299. Don't know if this is best price. http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/portable-50-amp-surge-guard/18338
I installed my Surge Guard in AC basement compartment. Cut power cord off and installed a male plug on MH side and female plug on end of cord. Much easier to deal with than plugging Surge Guard into pedestal. If I had to do it again I would probably buy a hard wired model. I do not think it matters which unit you buy. As long as it is one of the top brands.
I couple of years ago I was walking past my MH in our back yard. Heard a clicking noise. Later in the day I heard the same sound. When checking I found it was the Surge Guard cycling on and off from over voltage. After checking, found that one of the overhead wires feeding power to the barn where our MH is plugged in had a bad connection. Cleaned the connection and tightened connection problems solved. Voltage on voltmeter was 140 VAC. This would have caused problems with some electronics in the MH. I have not had a fault show up at a campground yet.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 3920
George Hooper wrote:

Greg . . . Even the cheapest surge protector is better than none.

That's what I'm telling myself :-)

You can use a "whole house" type protector if there is room in your AC
box. It plugs into the box just like adding another circuit breaker.

Hmmm, this is an interesting idea. I don't know if there's room in the
box or not. I'll check when I bring it over to work on it this weekend.

summer, I lost over $1000 in electronics. I forgot to protect the DC
converter, a freezer, some power cubes and more. Fortunately, all the
other electronics survived.

That'll get your attention. I have a whole house unit on the house, but
the motorhome has been an after-thought.

Greg

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 3921
If I buy the 50 amp version and I am someplace with only 30 amp power
will it still work. Basically I am asking if the 50 amp version will
work for 50 amp and 30 amp or if I need to buy one of each.

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 3922
Attachments :

I use progressive. I love the Progressive meter. It is really helpful for error codes, understanding how many Amps you are using on what lines....

Progressive Surge Protector with Meter
    After using it last summer I find that I cannot live without it. A glance at this meter tells you a lot about incoming power, and a lot about how much power you are using. A great help.
    The following URL has a dated but good comparison chart of the two surge protectors.
    http://viprv.com/ems/ems-chart.htm
    Also a good idea to protect internally with surge protecting power strips, or just plug level surge protectors where needed.
    I have used Surge Guard in the past - and it has saved me twice, but progressive is my favorite.
    Kevin (Real) McCoy
    ("Roscoe Ventura" Jayco Seneca HD SS 34 Diesel 2006; "Toad" Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2007)

center
    From: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com [mailto: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com ] On Behalf Of Greg Gimlick
    Sent: Wednesday, March 17, 2010 10:02 AM
    Subject: [KodiakChassisClassC] Surge protection

I've been living on borrowed time probably, but I've never used a
    surge/voltage protection device on my motorhome. I'm thinking it might
    be time to change that.

What's everyone using and what would be your suggestion?
    Places...prices. ...features. ....whatever.

Thanks
    Greg

Reply #11
    Yahoo Message Number: 3924
    Gary Myers wrote:

This is the type that I have for 50 amp, so far has worked great and no
    problems

This is the in the ad I got this morning which is part of what reminded
    me I wanted to check on getting one. We're headed out west to CO again
    this April and figured it was time.

I assume nobody has tried to steal your yet? That's a pricey piece of
    gear to leave out. I'd like to do one internally, but I don't think
    there is time to get into that project before we go.

Thanks for the info.

Greg

Reply #12
    Yahoo Message Number: 3925
    X2 on this surge guard. I bought mine off of an eBay dealer about 3 years ago and it has been a godsend. It has shut off power to the coach twice ... once on a miswired 50 Amp connection (park side) and once on an undervoltage situation.

Sent: Wed, March 17, 2010 1:57:26 PM

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/product/portable-surge-guard/2279
    This is the type that I have for 50 amp, so far has worked great and no problems

Reply #13
    Yahoo Message Number: 3927
    Yes, it will.

Sent: Wed, March 17, 2010 2:11:19 PM
    Subject: RE: [KodiakChassisClassC] Surge protection

If I buy the 50 amp version and I am someplace with only 30 amp power
    will it still work. Basically I am asking if the 50 amp version will
    work for 50 amp and 30 amp or if I need to buy one of each.

Yahoo! Groups
    Switch to: ,  •  • Terms of Use

Reply #14
    Yahoo Message Number: 3928

I use progressive. I love the Progressive meter. It is really helpful
    for error codes, understanding how many Amps you are using on what lines..

Wow, that's a pretty impressive unit. It's $100 more than the other, but I
    like the idea of having the meter built in to monitor both current and
    voltage. That gives me two good looking choices, but that meter may be
    swaying me.

Greg

Reply #15
    Yahoo Message Number: 3929
    They should have built in surge protectors and water regulators - but with VERY few exceptions they DON'T.

D

ps. We use a 50 amp Surge Guard - has saved us several times as I've reported in the past.

Reply #17
    Yahoo Message Number: 3931
    I also have the Surge Guard. I have also seen pictures of what happens to a surge protector when there is a lightning strike and I want it outside not in the coach ( it ain't pretty). As we all know most of the OEM 50 amp cords are stiffer than a "honeymoono yu know what" so I made up a new supply cord using #8 40 amp cord (30') with both a male and female 4 prong plug and receptacle. I also have an 8 ft. with a 50 amp male and the Marinco plug. I hang the surge guard in the genny compartment and then lock the door..Don't have to worry about theft and it also put's it out of sight.

The reason I went with the 40 amp.. I don't know of any or our coaches that will draw 50 amps and if you look at the generators (at least the 6000 Quite Diesel) it has 30 amp breakers. JMO.

Dave Sparke

Reply #18
    Yahoo Message Number: 3932
    So far no one has tried to steal it but I also got the lock for it that
    locks it to the coach power cord, also you can usually lock at power
    pedestal with a regular lock.
    But also I'm a paranoid type and don't want to advertise that I have it
    more than I have to, and to cover in case of rain etc so I cut the leg
    off a old rain suit and
    slip that over surge protector. That also covers the lights that show
    up at night on it so it doesn't say come take me !!

Greg Gimlick wrote:

Reply #19
    Yahoo Message Number: 3933
    Gary Myers wrote:

So far no one has tried to steal it but I also got the lock
    for it

I broke down and ordered the Progressive meter and it has a locking tab
    thingie on the cord. I've put off buying one long enough and with the trip
    out west coming up next month, I figured it was time. DW was a little
    shocked at the sticker :-)

slip that over surge protector. That also covers the lights
    that show
    up at night on it so it doesn't say come take me !!

That's a darn good idea!

Thanks for everyone's suggestions.

Take care,
    Greg

Reply #20
    Yahoo Message Number: 3934
    Attachments :

I was glad that I had my surge protector last year when lightning struck in the park where we were staying. I ended up losing the front TV because of the lightning coming in on the cable. The people on both side lost a lot more - one lost both TVs and an AC. The other guy lost every piece of electrical equipment in his RV... TVs, ACs, frig, microwave, furnace... you get the idea.

I have the built in Progressive 50 amp model. Don't know how we lived without it and its volt/amp readout.

IMGP0037.JPGIMGP0039.JPGIMGP0041.JPGIMGP0040.JPG

From: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Dave Sparke
      Sent: Wednesday, March 17, 2010 5:31 PM

I also have the Surge Guard. I have also seen pictures of what happens to a surge protector when there is a lightning strike and I want it outside not in the coach ( it ain't pretty). As we all know most of the OEM 50 amp cords are stiffer than a "honeymoono yu know what" so I made up a new supply cord using #8 40 amp cord (30') with both a male and female 4 prong plug and receptacle. I also have an 8 ft. with a 50 amp male and the Marinco plug. I hang the surge guard in the genny compartment and then lock the door..Don't have to worry about theft and it also put's it out of sight.

The reason I went with the 40 amp.. I don't know of any or our coaches that will draw 50 amps and if you look at the generators (at least the 6000 Quite Diesel) it has 30 amp breakers. JMO.

Dave Sparke

Reply #21
      Yahoo Message Number: 3935
      You were lucky. The two I saw pictures of after a strike were piles of melted plastic and wire. Didn't want that in my coach.

Dave Sparke

Reply #22
      Yahoo Message Number: 3936
      I also was tring to sneak by and not buy one and I got cought last summer. I was hit by a lightning strike and it killed the 110 and 12v on the coach. Good thing I had Progressive Insurance that covered the $7500+ in equipment. It spent most of last fall in the repair center and when they thought everything was fixed the refridge had a small fire.

Bryce