Skip to main content
Topic: Headlights/wire harness from Rally Lights (Read 991 times) previous topic - next topic

Headlights/wire harness from Rally Lights

Yahoo Message Number: 14158
Hey gang,
I know a few of you have upgraded your headlights and wire harness using parts from Rally Lights. Have any of you encountered a problem on first try?
I got it all installed last night, go to turn them on, and nothing, no headlights, low or high. Parking/clearance lights work.
I spoke to Ray @ Rally Lights this morning. Confirmed that they were installed correctly, and asked if my thoughts on trouble shooting were valid. He confirmed they were, and suggested a couple of things as well.
The problem is that I leave on a short trip tomorrow morning, and I am stuck at work now, so I do not have a ton of time to work on it. I won't be doing any "expected" night driving, but I hate taking that chance. Just wondering if anyone ran into an issue with theirs, and found the solution. Might cut down on my investigation time.
Thanks
Bill

Re: Headlights/wire harness from Rally Lights

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 14159
Ours worked the first time, no problems. Did you make sure the relays didn't work their way out?

For what it's worth, I think this upgrade with higher wattage bulbs is well worth the investment. Ray was excellent to work with.

Shawn

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 14160
I did the relay with 10 ga wire upgrade and has the same problem. The ground was my issue. Went directly to the frame and everything was golden.

Thanks
TJ Kennedy

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 14161
What did you use as your ground?
I went straight to the negative post on the battery jumper posts under the hood on the passenger side.
Same for the positive connection (except to the + post)

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 14162
The first was the bottom if the radiator mount. Then saw a hole in bumper, bolted to it and BAM, it worked. So I drilled a hole in the frame clise by and everything works great.

Thanks
TJ Kennedy

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 14163
Thanks everyone for the info.
I just figured it out. Of course, it was my stupidity. And it was the ground.
I ASSUMED that the red lead going to the power post was the positive, and the black lead was the ground. After checking the voltage across the two, and having nothing, I checked it from one post and using a chassis point for the ground, and voila, voltage. I also tried mounting the ground to a bolt by the Radiator mount, but it was not good either. I did not have quite enough lead to reach the chassis, so I tested the bolts that attach the hood bumper mount, and it seemed to be good. So I attached it, and we have lights!
I might work on running it to the frame when I have more time.
Thanks everyone for the quick replies.
Now, finish packing, and off to Puddingstone Lake.

Bil

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 14165
My headlight project adding relays had the same failure. Grounded to the radiator bolts. Ended putting ground on frame.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 14166
How long did it take to finish this project and how much did it costs. Drive Safe

Doug

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 14174
If you are asking me, the 4 Hella conversion head lights, bulbs, and custom harness with relays and fuses cost around $450. The installation is pretty easy, only took about a couple of hours, not including the bracket I made to mount the relays. You don't need to do this, in fact, one of our group members has a photo of his mounted directly to the body.

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 14176
I mounted my relays at the headlights. Less wire to do the mod. But requires more relays.
Here is a link to some pictures of the install.
http://s35.photobucket.com/user/ronjhall/library/Kodiak%20Headlight?sort=3&page=1
Relays and connectors are cheap. Plus all the wires for relays are there at the headlights. I made some vinyl covers for the relays and wires to protect from dirt and water.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 14179
Your picture had given me the idea of mounting them in the same area. But I built a bracket, and used the bolts on the hood "bumper" just to the left of where your relays are.
Hope you don't mind me "borrowing" your idea. Thanks for posting that picture.

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 14617
Ok, I finally grew tired of the poor headlights - even after adding silverstars. So I ordered the custom wiring harness, 3 relays, and bulb adapter kit from Ray at Rally. I had my mechanic install the harness. There was a nice improvement with the high beams. The problem is the low beam. The low beam lights are dim, even worse than before. In fact there is no visible difference between the DRL's and low beam. Checked the voltage at the lights and it was 13.4 volts with the engine running. Ground is mounted to the engine block. There is a slight decrease in low beam output when the high beams are switched on. We talked to Ray without any luck.

Anyone else run into this problem with a Rally harness? Any suggestions from the group would be appreciated.

Rob
2009 Fourwinds 34H (8.1)

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 14618
I am not sure what the problem is that you are having, but you will not notice any difference between DRL and headlights on. The DRL circuit is enough to trigger the low beam relay to turn on.