Skip to main content
Topic: Any one in Moab, UT at Jeep, Safari (Read 641 times) previous topic - next topic

Any one in Moab, UT at Jeep, Safari

Yahoo Message Number: 8791

Don't think I have ever seen so many Motorhomes or Jeeps in one spot before. Just thought I would ask and see if anyone else is here. I was going to ask earlier in the week but my phone was refusing to read my emails so I had to wait until we moved to a spot with better internet. Unfortunately we need to head for home in the morning but thought it was worth asking. We will see if my phone will let me see any replies.
Dave and Gail
In Moab, UT
From Bow, WA
Jayco Seneca 35 GS
Jeep Wrangler

Re: Any one in Moab, UT at Jeep, Safari

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 8792
Not me. I am still down in hot TX.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 8793
Come by Arkansas and see us it nice temps. We can also put down new tile.

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 8794
Got to stop in mid TX and installed a few 1000 paver blocks. Then northern TX to help build a dam before rain overflows the current dam.
Will put you on the list. You never know.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 8795
We aren't. We were in Sept and will be again this coming Sept. We sure fell in love with the Four Corners. If DW wasn't so stubborn I'd sell our two lots in FLA and head the 4C every winter.

Don

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 8796
It's called easter jeep safari...huge 4 wheel drive event

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 8805
we are dry camping at the blm south of town about 7 miles.

we left arches np through the old entrance road and saw a 2010 seneca at the blm ground yesterday which is just north of archview resort rv park.

don

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 8806
We are on I-75 heading north. In Sweetwater TN now. Saw several Kodiaks today. Anyone in a Chateau heading north in Georgia today.

Don

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 8808
Hope that you two are having a great time

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 8810
Dave and Gail:

My Seneca spent the winter in Moab and we were there for the Jeep Safari. We have been going for about 30 years. It is quite a spectacle as you noticed. I only took it out for propane and a short drive to some scales on the south side of town. Just enough to get everything warmed up. I noticed a white Kodiak was that you?

Sherm

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 8817
WOW, what is the weather like throughout the winter? When we were in Moab last September (planning to visit again this Sept) I had the feeling there would be a lot of snow and the temperature would be pretty low (below freezing much of the time). Is that no the case? I just could not imagine anyone wintering there.

We really enjoyed our visit and want to spend another day or two at ANP.

Don

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 8819
Sherm

Will be in Moab for first three weeks of May. Could you tell me where those scales are located and what it cost to weigh.

Thank you

Rich

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 8820
Don,
You hit it on a good weekend. It can be cold during the winter. Snow doesn't get that deep but can hang around for a while.
I think its elevation is a little to high for a serious winter location. I am thinking about a little further south and a few thousand feet lower might be warmer in January and February.

Sherm

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 8821
Rich:

The scales belong to a construction company about five miles south of town on the east side of the highway. We were just out for a quick Sunday morning drive to see if we could tell any difference with the new spring blocks installed (went in easily and seemed to work fine) and were looking for a place to turn around. There is a small nondescript sand colored office building and loop where the construction trucks weigh about one-quarter mile east of the highway. We were turning around and saw the scales. Just for fun my buddy suggested we drive across to see if they were on. We did, they were, and we measured gross and separate axel weights.

We don't know if the scales were left on by mistake or are always left on. No one seemed to be there.

Sherm

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 8827

No, ours is a wonderful dirt hiding brown, which is important when you boondock for 2700 miles. We spent 4 days at Big Bend Campground and 2 days at Park Creek Campground while in Moab. We didn't hook up to power once except for our little Honda generator. Did stop and dump tanks and fill with water a couple times. But it will be nice to be home in 20 minutes.

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 8830
We had absolutely great weather during our 2 weeks in the Four Corners area with the only foul weather being half days at the Grand Canyon - hail three days in a row - but at least a half day of sun each day.

Looking back at your comments - were you in Moab for the winter or did you just store your MH there?

We took about 2200 photos during our trip and my son Phil (some of the group have met Phil) just loved The Arches and he is looking forward to going back again in September. We took Amtrak out to Albuquerque last year but will drive this year. Once again we will be bumping into the 183 day limit we are allowed in the USA so we can't take the time to use the MH. There is a bill in the Senate (that is unlikely to pass) that was introduced by the R senator from Utah and D senator from NY that would allow Canadians over age 55 who are retired to apply for a 3 year visa that would allow us 240 days in the US (provided we don't work in the US) without any tax implications. For us that would be GREAT. For the USA it would be GREAT - since all we do when we are in the US is spend money. :)

We initially planned to visit the 4C in May this year but Phil's Special Olympic practices start then and he is hoping to go to the Provincial Games next year and this is the qualifying year. If he doesn't get in shape he will have no chance so we switched to September. Next year we may do it again and go in May - and also visit LV.

Don

ps. This link has about 50 of our photos and I've indicated which were taken by Phil. He loved taking photos at the 4C area.

http://gallery.me.com/don.leslie#100073&bgcolor=black&view=grid

Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 8834
I keep the MH at a friend's place and visit regularly. I was down about once a month through the winter. When it was cold I really wished I had thermopane windows. You can feel the cold coming in.

For myself, I hope that the bill passes. I have friends in BC and think it would be great if they could spend more time down here. Also, I have an unfulfilled childhood fantasy of spending many summers there.

Reply #17
Yahoo Message Number: 8837
Don Leslie wrote:

We took about 2200 photos during our trip and my son Phil (some of the
group have met Phil) just loved The Arches and he is looking forward to
going back again in September.

Nice photos and Phil does nice work. We sure loved that area and want to
get back. We're heading for Denver in May, but will be doing a quick
trip out and back just long enough to see the newest grandchild. With
Kathy back at work and money being tighter this year, there won't be any
lengthy trips.

would allow Canadians over age 55 who are retired to apply for a 3 year
visa that would allow us 240 days in the US (provided we don't work in
the US) without any tax implications. For us that would be GREAT. For
the USA it would be GREAT - since all we do when we are in the US is
spend money. :)

Hey Don, great idea.....just send each of us a check! That way you save
the wear and tear on the coach and we still get your money! I'm here to
help....I'm a giver :-)

We initially planned to visit the 4C in May this year but Phil's Special
Olympic practices start then and he is hoping to go to the Provincial
Games next year and this is the qualifying year.

Come on down to the games at NC State University and say "hey" :-)

Take care,
Greg

Reply #18
Yahoo Message Number: 8838
Greg, it was your reports and those of others in the group that encouraged us to go to the 4C. I'd spent a week in Tucson in 1975 and Bev and I were in Scottsdale for a week in December1980 (have a benchmark for that visit - we were in Garcia's in Scottsday when John Lennon was shot on Dec 8 - say after DW's birthday) - but I have to say those trips did not prepare us fully for the 4C. Every evening at dinner we'd reflect on the day and say "wow, what a great day that was."

I'd have liked to go to Australia and NZ for 2 months every year but Bev refuses to ever fly again (some signs now that "maybe she'd be prepared to take a short flight" - like to Newfoundland) so that put the boots to any such plan. The 4C is filling that hole very well. I have a feeling we will go that way annually for the next few years. It means we have to reduce our time in FLA unless the Senate and House pass that bill (which I doubt). We'd love to take the MH but that is out of the question because of time. My son and his wife occasionally say "we are going to YYY outside of Detroit for dinner - would you like to come with us." We have to say "no thanks, that will cost us another day."

This Sept we are going to take I-70 to Moab and go up Mt. Evans west of Denver on the way there. I drove to the top in 1978 and it was quite a drive. In addition to The Arches we hope to see some of Canyonlands MP as well. Then to Monument Vally and hopefully one of the full day tours at Gouldings (anyone in the group taken their tours?). From there to Page and Lake Powell (DW wants to take the 5 hour cruise). From LP back to Cortez and a day at Mesa Verde. Then Durango so we can do the Durango/Silverton steam train. Depending on time and weather we may drive the San Juan Parkway. We could make it a steam double header and do the Cumbres & Toltec steam train out of Chama NM as well. (Yes, I am a steam train fan.). From there to Santa Fe which we short-changed last year. We want to spend a day on Canyon Road visiting the galleries. We were amazed at the quality and quantity of art in the SF area. Hope to make a visit to Los Alamos for a day. We will then take the back roads to Albuquerque visiting some old gold mining towns (DW's request). Albuquerque surprised us last year as it had a lot more to see than we expected.

We might spend a day at the Grand Canyon since we have a National Parks pass. Since we spent 3 days there last year, it won't be high on our list for another couple of years.

Our next trip will likely include Las Vegas and we'll approach from the north via I-90 visiting Yellowstone, Salt Lake City, Bryce and Zion - and then perhaps to the GC for a day or two.

We are still considering the route from Albuquerque home in Sept - would like to see some of old Route 66.

A lot of this we "blame" on members of this forum of course. :)

Don