Skip to main content
Topic: Rides like a U haul (Read 468 times) previous topic - next topic

Rides like a U haul

Yahoo Message Number: 8893
I'm new to this forum, I have an 08 Dutchmen 32b with the gas motor. I'm trying to get this rig more comfortable to drive on long trips. Will rear air bags help? After 6 hours of driving I feel like I've played 4 quaters of football. This thing drives like a uhaul truck. any suggestions would help, steering stabilizer's, air bags, etc? Thanks, in advance.

Re: Rides like a U haul

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 8894
Well, U-Haul sure has a lot of the sister versions - Top Kick**. I wish I'd put air bags on the 32SS I had. I have to believe they are well worth it. I know what you mean about the 4 quarters of football - as a result we cut our daily distance back to 3-400 miles max - and preferably 300. A lot of our members have made modifications to fix that "driver worn out" feeling so you will get a lot of good recommendations in short order.

Don

**For the past five years I've made a point of looking at every Kodiak and Top Kick I see on the road (non motorhome versions) to see the extent of the rear overhang. I've yet to see anything like I see on motorhomes. I think that overhang (ratio of wheelbase to total length) creates some of the poor handling problems." Probably changes the center of gravity designed into the vehicle.

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 8907
Jason,

Welcome to the group.

I have an 07 32B. I put track Bars on front and rear. It made it handle and drive great, even with my armor plated jeep rock crawler on the back.

How long have you had your 32B? Have you had any other problems? What area do you live in?

Dan

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 8910
Dan,

I bought it new in May 08. I have had multiple issues with this coach. It was definatley built on a Friday. The bed frame in the rear broke our first night camping with it. My wife and I ended up in the rear storage in the middle of the night. I have had the front cap replaced due to buckling. Multiple little issues and recently have had to replace wiring in the brake system twice. Luckily the motor and tranny have been good and it tows like a champ. 8.1L gas, Allison tranny. I use to tow a 26ft enclosed with a buggy, rhino and quad. When there is weight it rides better. All I tow now is a small trailer with the rhino or my four door Jeep. What track bars did you put on? Do you have air bags as well? We go to June lake in the Sierra's every July and the drive kills me. We live in the San Diego Area.

Thanks,

Jason

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 8911
I too have an 08 Seneca 35GS. We had issues with the coach wandering and rocking bad. Upgraded the springs at Jayco expense, added Konis, front and rear track bars, steer safe and now drives like a car with no rocking and rolling.

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 8916
Jason,

I bought the Davis TruTrac Bar for the front and the Henderson Bar for the rear. I had Davis install the first one in Quartzsite, Az, during the RV show. Then I went back the next year and had them put the Henderson Bar on the rear. On the way home, we drove down through Glamis on that twisty bumpy 2 lane (north of Glamis) and I didn't think we would die. :) I'm very happy with the track bars. I do not have air bags.

Who did your front cap? Were you happy with the work?

Kodiak Chassis have a common problem with the brake switch wiring. Some of the guys in the group carry the extra part with them.

We bought our 32B in 08 with 11k on it. We have been all over the south west with it, but our local hang outs are Borrego, Superstition and Glamis. I've been breaking Jeeps into little pieces since 1967. I'm old enough to actually remember large sections of the plank road at Buttercup. :)

My wife and I live in La Mesa.

Dan

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 8917
Dan,

There is a small repair place in Santee called Terra Trucks. They are out by the drive in. They did the repair under warranty. They did a good job. My window cracked the first trip to Gordon's Well. They ended up replacing that as well. The shops not big or clean bit they do good work. Do you know what the difference between going with a Track bar vs sway bar? They sound like the almost do the same thing. Guys are doing both. This stuff starts to add up. Thanks for all the info. I'm not far from you. We live in Santee. Is yours a diesel?
Thanks,
Jason

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 8920
Do u mean there is trouble with the brake switch...I'm trying to stay prepared and carry these small thing parts. Our 08 35GS come with sway bars and drives like my 08 Chevy truck. I added the Steersafe for my wifes peace of mind and think it may have helped with true run on the road. She loves to drive this one, hated our class A said she couldn't tell how close she was to things even though she pulled and backed a 38 ft Prowler fifth wheel before it. I"ll admit pretty well love the thing too.

Sender: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2012 23:53:38 -0700
To:
ReplyTo: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [KodiakChassisClassC] Re: Rides like a U haul

Jason,

I bought the Davis TruTrac Bar for the front and  the Henderson Bar for the rear. I had Davis install the first one in  Quartzsite, Az, during the RV show. Then I went back the next year and had  them put the Henderson Bar on the rear. On the way home, we drove  down through Glamis on that twisty bumpy 2 lane (north of Glamis) and I  didn't think we would die. :) I'm very happy with the track bars. I  do not have air bags.

Who did your front cap? Were you happy with  the work?

Kodiak Chassis have a common problem with the brake  switch wiring. Some of the guys in the group carry the extra  part with them.

We bought our 32B in 08 with 11k on it. We  have been all over the south west with it, but our local hang outs are Borrego,  Superstition and Glamis. I've been breaking Jeeps into little pieces since  1967. I'm old enough to actually remember large sections of the plank road  at Buttercup. :)

My wife and I live in La Mesa.

Dan

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 8924
Jason,

A track bar goes from the frame on one side to the axle on the other side and keeps the axle from moving side to side. It stops the drifting. A sway bar stops roll or sway like on a hard corner. It is shaped like a large U, attaches to the frame on both sides and pushes against the spring as it comes up.

Call Henderson and see if they have a front track bar for your gas chassis and talk to them. The rear trac bar would be my first place to start.

Look at the picture in the link. You bolt one of the large plates to your differential housing and the small plate to you frame. The other plate is for a different application.

http://www.hendersonslineup.com/products/motorhome-steering-and-tracking/supersteer-rear-trac-bar-kodiak-4500-5500-chassis.html

You can look at mine if you want to check it out.

Dan

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 8926
Yes, as I remember, the switch comes with a short pigtail or maybe it is just the pigtail. Look above your brake pedal and you can see it. It also fits GM pickups and can be bought at any Chevy Dealer.

If the brake alarm sounds off, the only way to stop it is to pull the fuse in the panel under the dash on the passenger side. I don't remember the fuse number.

Dan

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 8933
There can be a problem with a brake switch. It has a plug in connector. Here is a link to the part number and a place to get them on EBAY. You can also get them at most Auto Part Stores. Part # 25771554.
http://motors.shop.ebay.com/__?_from=R40&_nkw=25771554.&_trksid=m194&ssPageName=STRK:MEFSRCHX:SRCH
The most common reason for the switch to go bad is a brake controller being wired to the switch instead of wire provided by GM.
Best
Ron Hall