Skip to main content
Topic: Battery draining (Read 1138 times) previous topic - next topic

Battery draining

Yahoo Message Number: 11842
Am I correct if I have bad chassis battery it will also drain the house ones also.

AS always travel safe and enjoy
John and Kathy

Re: Battery draining

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 11843

I dont think so. There is a switch to start the truck with the house batteries in an emergency.
~
Victor Burns
KI6IM
Kodiak Diesel Dutchmen 34H

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 11853
My understanding is that the chassis system can be accessed through the emergency start switch but the chassis system cannot charge the house batteries.

Doug

Douglas Brothers

Victor Burns  wrote:

I dont think so. There is a switch to start the truck with the house batteries in an emergency.
~
 Victor Burns
 KI6IM
 Kodiak Diesel Dutchmen 34H

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 11855
All modern Class C's have at least two ways to charge the house batteries. 1) via alternator on the chassis which is routed through an battery isolator so that when the vehicle is stop and using the 12 volts, the vehicle's batteries won't be discharged. The second most common way is via an converter which uses the shore power when hookup at 120V AC. When I purchased my 2007 Senica new, BOTH charging systems were malfunctioning. I found this out when I woke up shivering the first night of dry camping.

Other ways to charge the batteries include solar panels, wind turbins, etc.

FYI. The battery isolator on my 2007 Senica is locate on the back wall of the battery compartment.

Don H.
N6EJL

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 11857
Not sure on the Jayco. But the chassis batteries will not discharge my house batteries when they go bad. Didn't they add a charger for the chassis batteries on newer Seneca's?
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 11858
On our 2008 there is an additional piece of circuitry(don't remember the exact term) that will allow the converter to charge the chassis batteries when parked. It measures the level of charge and will include the chassis when they need it.

Dave

ronjhallsr  wrote:

Not sure on the Jayco. But the chassis batteries will not discharge my house batteries when they go bad. Didn't they add a charger for the chassis batteries on newer Seneca's?
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 12090
If your main engine (chassis alternator) is not charging your HOUSE batteries you have a problem through your isolator system.

Be well,

~
Victor - KI6IM
Kodiak Diesel Dutchmen 34H Bunkhouse

On Sunday, September 15, 2013 8:18 PM, Donald  wrote:

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 12120
We went to start our unit after a couple of week in storage and discovered an inside cab light had been left on almost draining the truck batteries so much they would start.

I was under the impression, the button above the drives head was a "boost" start button which would connect the house batteries to the truck batteries and start.

Do you simply press the switch or hold it while cranking?

Not sucessful so I decided to start the generator and was surprised to discover it connected to the truck batteries and would not start.

Is it necessary to have the house main cutoff swith "ON" to use the boost switch? The one on the left side of the steps in the compartment.

Maybe I am not using the correct procedues to get it started.

How is it intended to work and how is it hooked up?

Normal for the gen to start and run off the truck batteries?

When the gen is running does it charge both the truck and house batteries?

Thanks

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 12121
Based on our GS 6316, holding the button connects the house batteries, you must hold it while starting the rig. The master switch for the house batteries must be on.
I've never checked to see which set of batteries starts the generator but I know it doesn't charge the truck batteries.

Jim Mantle

From: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of dgryder@...
Sent: November-10-13 12:20 PM
To: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [KodiakChassisClassC] RE: Battery draining

We went to start our unit after a couple of week in storage and discovered an inside cab light had been left on almost draining the truck batteries so much they would start.

I was under the impression, the button above the drives head was a "boost" start button which would connect the house batteries to the truck batteries and start.

Do you simply press the switch or hold it while cranking?

Not sucessful so I decided to start the generator and was surprised to discover it connected to the truck batteries and would not start.

Is it necessary to have the house main cutoff swith "ON" to use the boost switch? The one on the left side of the steps in the compartment.

Maybe I am not using the correct procedues to get it started.

How is it intended to work and how is it hooked up?

Normal for the gen to start and run off the truck batteries?

When the gen is running does it charge both the truck and house batteries?

Thanks

---In kodiakchassisclassc@yahoogroups.com, vburns1@...> wrote:

If your main engine (chassis alternator) is not charging your HOUSE batteries you have a problem through your isolator system.

Be well,

~
Victor - KI6IM

Kodiak Diesel Dutchmen 34H Bunkhouse

On Sunday, September 15, 2013 8:18 PM, Donald dhonaker@...> wrote:

All modern Class C's have at least two ways to charge the house batteries. 1) via alternator on the chassis which is routed through an battery isolator so that when the vehicle is stop and using the 12 volts, the vehicle's batteries won't be discharged. The second most common way is via an converter which uses the shore power when hookup at 120V AC. When I purchased my 2007 Senica new, BOTH charging systems were malfunctioning. I found this out when I woke up shivering the first night of dry camping.

Other ways to charge the batteries include solar panels, wind turbins, etc.

FYI. The battery isolator on my 2007 Senica is locate on the back wall of the battery compartment.

Don H.
N6EJL

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 12122
I had a similar situation. I have since found out there is a short in the hot wire to my emergency start switch. I will have to run a new wire when I get a chance..... My unit is a '07 GS Endura.

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 12123
I need to test mine. It's a item that I have on my yearly check list. Should hear a click when emergency solenoid energizes. My generator is hooked to house batteries.

Best
Ron Hall

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 12124
With my gen hooked to the chassis batteries, which batteries will it charge when running?

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 12125
Where does the wire run?
I assume it goes to relays that kick in and make the connection???
Where are the relays located?
In a perfect world, when the emer start swith is held, it kicks in the relays and directs the current from the house batteries to where? The chassis batteries or the starter or ? ? ? ?
Just wonder if I have a broken wire as well?
Thanks

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 12126
OK, turn on the master switch for the house, and hold the emer start button while cranking the truck and it should start.
Since my gen is attached to the truck batteries, just wondering if when running the gen charges my house batteries as I have run it in the past and not noticed much change in the charge level of the house batteries.
All I have coming off the house batteries are 2 leads to power the house and 2 additional leads for the inverter.
Just wonder if Gulfstream used a wiring diagram or if each unit is wired differently depending on the made of the week?
Thanks

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 12127
Should be a lead that goes to the emergency solenoid. Otherwise how would the engine keep house batteries charged while driving down the road.
I had the setting on my generator auto start set to low. Not enough power to start generator. Fired up the Duramax. Hit generator start. Started right up.
On my 6340 Endura the solenoid/s and HD circuit breaker are located in the second bay back from drivers door. Hydraulic pump for slides and jacks is also in this bay.

Best
Ron Hall

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 12152
I don't have a generator auto start, but am attempting to determine how the generator charges and which batteries it charges.
Does it charge back on the same lead that attaches to the batteries?
I have notices the house batteries getting low while camping and started the generator but not much change in the house batteries. I often wondered why they would not charge a great deal even when running the gen overnight.  I just discovered the generator was connected to the truck batteries. I guess that is why the gen always starts regardless of how low the house batteries become. How are other generators attached? To the house or truck batteries?
Not located the solonoid and HD circuit braker as the second bay from the drivers door has the propane tank. Kind of waiting on warmer weather to arrive to do further investigation but maybe have waited too long.
Thanks,
Don

Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 12153
Chassis batteries should not discharge house batteries. Best Ron Hall

battery

Reply #17
Yahoo Message Number: 11862
Sorry but do not understand the answers still looking for left handed screw driver. The house batteries were replaced not quite a year ago. Have been having problem with 12volt disconnect and the disconnect switch was replaced in Feb. Came home and parked it and within 3 weeks house and chassis dead. Does one feed the other causing both to die.

As always travel safe and enjoy
John and Kathy

Re: battery

Reply #18
Yahoo Message Number: 11868
John.

Your original question was - If I have a dead chassis battery will that drain the house batteries. On the Seneca in your year the simple answer is NO! The coach and house batteries SHOULD BE isolated when the engine is not running. If that is not the case - then you need to check the battery isolator. This component allows the alternator to charge the house batteries under normal conditions. Perhaps it has a problem?

Soooo. Assuming the house batteries are draining when the disconnect switch is hit...

There are a couple of things to look for.

Number 1) If you hit the disconnect - and the batteries still drain. There are a couple of things that are still powered even with the disconnect off. For example -  the light in the pump house! So if that is on accidentally then you will drain your batteries even when the disconnect is working.

Number 2) This is harder, you may have wiring issue from when you had the switch to golf cart batteries. Some wiring mistake or parasitic drain. Finding those can be tough. It might be easier to disconnect the batteries before storage, or get a battery mounted disconnect switch to totally isolate your batteries. The blade or twist style are convenient.

Well, maybe there is an idea in there that can help?

Kevin
Jayco Seneca 34 SS 2006

Re: battery

Reply #19
Yahoo Message Number: 11882
Thanks Kevin, checked and no lights on, are going to Henderson Line-up and have spoken to them and assure me they will find the problem, once again thanks and stay safe you two.

Travel safe and enjoy
John & Kathy

To: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
Cc: John Meredith
Sent: Monday, September 16, 2013 2:41:21 PM
Subject: Re: [KodiakChassisClassC] battery