Skip to main content
Topic: Limp Mode (Read 522 times) previous topic - next topic

Limp Mode

Yahoo Message Number: 2857
I purchased a used 2006 C5500 Seneca with the Allison transmission and after 1 year of ownership and multiple trips I have been experiencing some intermittent power or transmission problems. Four times the Seneca has briefly left me on the side of the road trying to figure out what's my problem. Twice this has happened when the motor home would be considered cold and twice while hot. Two times just leaving the campground I had power problems pulling on the interstate and the other two times after driving a significant distance took an off ramp for a rest, stopped for a traffic light upon exit and then was subjected to limp mode on take off at green. It feels like I'm taking off in the wrong gear, but the engine also wont go over 2000 rpm.
All four times I checked the transmission fluid and found it to be ok except for th first time, looked a little low and added fluid. Shut down for a short period on the side of the road restarted and then pulled out into traffic out of desperation to make the next exit but experienced no more issues and traveled the remainder of my trip. A warning light on the dash came on on all instances, but without the manual (purchased used)I can not tell if it is the check engine or transmission warning light.

I was due to take to a transmission shop in the morning, but I am concerned that I should be taking it to have the engine checked instead.

All I can find on the web is a TSB for a 2005 not my 06' that states...

Condition
Some customers may comment on the Service Engine Soon light becoming illuminated along with a severe reduction in engine power (limp home mode). Upon investigation, the technician may find DTCs P0202 and P2149 or P0207 and P2146.

Cause
The injector connector circuits on cylinders 2 and 7 are not fully supported near the connector and are more susceptible to terminal breakage from engine vibration.

Correction
If published diagnostics lead to an injector connector, install the revised 90 degree connector and the harness support bracket from the service kit, P/N 98017958, using the following repair procedures.

Re: Limp Mode

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 2858
Your Seneca may be a 2006, but is it on a 2005 chassis? Sounds like a engine problem vs. a transmission problem. I think I would take it to a medium duty Chevy dealer and have them plug in the computer and see what it says. You might also want to check with Chevy dealer or regional office about getting a manual.

Not an expert, just an idea

Keith

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 2859

Have you checked the oil level?? The engine will shut down if the level drops below a certain level, then restart for a short time to allow you to get off the highway.... if you are on a level vs. a hilly surface, it will continue to run, then shut down, etc, etc....

Denny

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 2860
Scott -

Where was the light illuminating on the dash. If it is in the instrument cluster (with the speedo, tach, etc.), it is most likely an engine issue. If the light is on the wing to the right in the row of lights under the exhaust brake switch, it is most likely a transmission issue. The transmission malfunction indicator is in the wing under the switch bank.

Someone else suggested a MD Chevy Truck dealer. This is a very good suggestion as most, if not all, are also Allison Transmission authorized shops. They should be able to resolve the issue, regardless of the cause: engine or trans.

Sam