Skip to main content
Topic: Walking on the roof (Read 1152 times) previous topic - next topic

Walking on the roof

Yahoo Message Number: 3067
My used Jayco Greyhawk 33DS did not come with a user's manual, so I wanted to check with you folks to see if you knew if it was safe to walk on the roof (I'm 135lbs)? I would assume that it is, since there is a ladder to the roof, but I wanted to make sure. It's a TPO roof.

Re: Walking on the roof

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 3068
I'm 220 and often wonder about the same thing. Clearly it would be less of a concern for you shouldn't have any problems. I've been wondering about getting on the roof when we return to our MH in FLA in early January and cleaning it. I've used a ladder to examine the caulking around the edges and so far so good. If any problems develop I'm going to consider putting Eternabond on all seams.

Of course, I'd feel much safer if you got on the roof of my 32SS. :)

Are you going clean the roof? If you are, what are you going to use?

Don

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 3069

My "theory" is that if they attach a ladder that says it will support 300# on the rear of the coach, then the roof should also be able to support 300#, IMHO...

Denny

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 3070
My son and I have both been on the roof of my 07 32SS at least every 3 months to wash and treat the roof and check everything. All you need to watch is:

Try not to kneel down on your knees as this puts a lot of PSI in a small area.

Don't "twist" your foot (with your weight on it) while moving around, just lift your foot and turn. The twisting can pull the roof cover loose from the top decking. I hope you understand what I am trying to say. If you have to kneel on your knees while doing something like scrubbing around the bottom of the AC units etc, kneel on a board big enough to spread the load out a little.

Mike Furr

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 3071
At this point, I just wanted to wash off the clay dust off the roof with a water hose and spray nozzle.

-Tom

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 3072

I have a Four Winds and walk on the roof to clean and inspect.....carefully.

Roger

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 3073
I'm in the same "class" with Don and have been walkng on the roofs (01
Desinger and now the 08 Seneca) with no problems. As was said just do it somewhat gingerly..."NO DANCING". All kidding aside just be careful and I would recommend gym shoes as it can get slick..

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 3075

I walk on my roof to clean it, check Dycor at least every other month. When up there cleaning be carefull as roof becomes very slippery when wet. I use rubber boat shoes. The roof manufacturer that Jayco gave told me to use Murphys oil soap and nothing else. I've been using that since 07 and works great. Also if anyone needs I have the Jayco 2007 Class C manual in pdf format. Jayco e-mailed it to me after I bought my 32SS

Brent

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 3076
Thanks Brent. What size is the Jayco manual?

If you could send it to me I'll put it in the files section. Or, if you would like, just upload it to the files section of the Forum. I'd love to have it on my computer - especially when the MH is 1200 miles away as is the case now.

Don

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 3077
This morning I got a chance to check my roof with Ice and frost one it. It rained yesterday evening. Then temperatures dropped below freezing. (25 F.) Slides would not go in. Antenna's would not crank down. I used boat shoes, but it was not safe to walk. Had to crawl all the way to front of MH to break ice loose from the satellite and over air antennas. Then break all the 1" thick ice that had collected on the slide toppers. I was the first one to get mine done. Got to help every one else that had same problems. I tried to help one person with a TPO roof. It was so slick I could not even crawl on it. Someone found a tall step ladder to clean slide toppers and assist with getting antenna's down. Be careful wakling on the TPO roofs they can be very slick.
I am 175 lbs. Have not had a problem walking on any of the roofs when dry.

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 3079
Hmm. Where are you now that it is so cold Ron? I don't think you live more 10 to 15 miles north of me and it "only" got down to 35 Deg F last night (actually was coldest at 7 AM). You must be on a rally at the north end of Michigan?

We sure got cheated this summer. It started very late and took off early. The Windsor area (just south of Detroit - yes, I have to remind DW on a regular basis that we are going North when we cross the Ambassador Bridge) has an average of 19 days over 86 deg F in the summer. This year we had only FIVE (5) days over 86.

We got to FLA last Monday - over 90. Left Thursday - 94. Every day was over 90 and humid. Amazing how a swimming pool at 87 can feel cool. Weatherman said it was August in October in Florida.

I sure hope we don't get shortchanged again next summer.

For the MPG watchers, first fill on the way to FLA was 6,63 MPG, second fill 7.39 and third was 7.265. Lot of wind from 1 to 2 o'clock angle for first tank. This is disappointing as it is the lightest MH we've owned. We do, however tow a Tahoe which we didn't with our first 2. Our 34 Class A Triple E on F53 got close to 9 MPG average (didn't tow at all), 39.4 ft Winnie Journey DP with Cat C7 got 8.3 during our ownership (towed a 2004 Colorado Crew Cab Z71 with bed roller and cap - 4500 lbs) and our 40.8 ft Ambassador with ISC averaged out to 7.6 towing the Colorado then the Tahoe. Doesn't say much for the 8.1 Chevy Vortec or the frontal design - or both. Given that the diesel gets better MPG, it must be the 8.1. I sure wish Jayco had put the diesel into the 32SS.

Don

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 3080
We were in Evart, MI. About half way between Midland and Ludington on US10. We drove the 30 mile east to Clare, MI. Temperature went up to 39 F.

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 3081
Not to steal this thread. But last 1000 miles have averaged 10.93. Love my Diesel. Installed a tuner that has made a world of difference.

Re: Walking on the roof converted to MPG etc.

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 3082
Gee, that makes me feel really good. :(

I guess manufacturers who have been using the Kodiak must have stocked up on the Kodiak units before GM pulled the plug. Other than the initial note on Hino (Toyota) perhaps providing a replacement I've seen nothing as to what Jayco, Four Winds or others are planning as a replacement. Anyone seen anything

Don

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 3083
Thursday when we drove past the MD plant on our way north. There were still some MD cutaway chassis in the yard. But pickups are taking up more and more of the yard.

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 3084
,Dealer told me Jayco was being "tight lipped" about what they did but he understood they bought a lot of inventory before the shutdown..

Reply #17
Yahoo Message Number: 3086
DiabloSport Predator running on 60 hp setting.