Skip to main content
Topic: Bathroom Sink Replacement (Read 718 times) previous topic - next topic

Bathroom Sink Replacement

Yahoo Message Number: 3715
Attachments :

When we bought our Jayco the bathroom sink was already scarred. Since we bought the unit this was an issue for my wife Sandy. As we are spending increasing time in the RV, I thought it was time for a fix!
    We looked around but we did not find any plastic sink that would do. They are very light, but our fear was that it would immediately mar again. So we started looking for sturdier sinks and expanded our view from Marine/RV suppliers to the usual Hardware suspects. We settled on an American Standard sink that was relatively light, tough, and inexpensive.
    The end result:

New Bathroom Sink
    The process was pretty standard plumbing project. I did do a couple extra things. The original sink did not provide for overflow, so that required a new drain fixture. Also I took more care than usual on securing the mounts than you might in a home plumbing project. Finally - Non-toxic RV antifreeze is a bit more annoying that having water in the plumbing!
    Process: Bathroom Drop in sink
    1)Shut off the water
    2)Place aluminum pan under P trap
    3)Loosen slip nuts and remove trap
    4)Remove coupling nuts for water supply tubes
    5)Remove Faucets etc.
    6)Cut through old caulk and remove old sink
    7)Remove residual caulk and clean rim
    8)Test fit sink without appliances
    a.Use a drywall saw to make adjustments
    9)Install appliances in sink (drain and faucets)
    a.Form a rope of putty
    b.Press firmly into place tighten nut
    c.Remove excess putty
    10) Caulk counter top opening
    11) Place sink
    12) Fasten sink to surface
    13) Reconnect drains and supply lines
    14) Run a caulk bead around the sink lip
    15) Check for leaks
    Stuff: Plumber's putty; rags/paper towels; Wrench; aluminum pans; silicon caulk; drywall saw
    Kevin (Real) McCoy
    ("Roscoe Ventura" Jayco Seneca HD SS 34 Diesel 2006; "Toad" Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2007)

Re: Bathroom Sink Replacement

Reply #1
    Yahoo Message Number: 3716
    Kevin.
    Nice job.
    We replaced ours last fall. Bought another plastic model. Biggest reason for replacement was no splash lip. So far it has not scared like the original model. I think the previous owner used some kind of scouring pad on it that removed shiny finisher. Plan to use some good wax to keep it looking good.

Reply #2
    Yahoo Message Number: 3717
    Great job Kevin. Ron, we had a rent house that the tenant left burn marks on every sink from cigarettes. Our lease clearly stated non-smoking tenant. We bought an epoxy paint at Home Depot for about $15 the worked great. Brought sink back to a shinny white. We bought a few more and did both tubs where the enamel was coming off the cast iron. Inexpensive fix and epoxy is very hard finish.

Bob Erwin

Reply #3
    Yahoo Message Number: 3719
    Bob - Interesting - Do you recall the brand? Was it a spray like Rust-oleum or a paint like BEHR? Kevin

center
    From: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com [mailto: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com ] On Behalf Of Bob Erwin
    Sent: Sunday, February 28, 2010 5:51 PM
    To: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
    Subject: [KodiakChassisClassC] Re: Bathroom Sink Replacement

Great job Kevin . Ron, we had a rent house that the tenant left burn marks on every sink from cigarettes. Our lease clearly stated non-smoking tenant. We bought an epoxy paint at Home Depot for about $15 the worked great. Brought sink back to a shinny white. We bought a few more and did both tubs where the enamel was coming off the cast iron. Inexpensive fix and epoxy is very hard finish.

Bob Erwin__

|
    Messages in this topic (3)

Reply #4
    Yahoo Message Number: 3720

The kit came in a box the size of a shoe box. It had the paint in a 1 quart can plus a bottle of epoxy to add to paint. I would use a 4 inch roller and paint tray. You had to work quickly once you added the epoxy to the paint because it would setup in less than an hour. I will check Home Depot to see if I can find the name. My sinks were solid surface in the bath rooms. I removed all fixtures and caulk before painting.

My tub was originally yellow but when I finished everything was white. My guess is that you could add color in the paint dept. Note: What ever you dont use will setup anyway. Either use it all or throw away the remainder.

Bob Erwin

Reply #6
    Yahoo Message Number: 3738

I finally went by Home Depot. I do not think that this is the same brand and it is about 3x the price that I remember from 4 years ago. But it is the same type of product. Sorry the picture is so blurry. I am better with a camera than my phone.

Bob Erwin

Re: Bathroom Sink Replacement [1 Attachment]

Reply #7
    Yahoo Message Number: 3743
    Bob, thank you for taking the time. Another weapon in the repair arsenal! K

center
    From: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com [mailto: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com ] On Behalf Of Bob Erwin
    Sent: Wednesday, March 03, 2010 7:38 PM
    To: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
    Subject: RE: [KodiakChassisClassC] Re: Bathroom Sink Replacement [1 Attachment]