Skip to main content
Topic: Onan QD 5500 Oil Fill Tube Gone (Read 637 times) previous topic - next topic

Onan QD 5500 Oil Fill Tube Gone

Yahoo Message Number: 14277
So I took the rig into a shop in Coolidge yesterday for generator maintenance, and when the tech poured oil in the fill tube, oil spilled all over the motor - the fill tube has apparently rotted completely away. After searching for this issue, it turns out it is fairly common, and the generator needs to be removed from the motorhome and dismantled a bit to get a new tube installed, which will then disintegrate again over the period of a few years, requiring another expensive repair. Does anyone here have a more favorable solution?

Re: Onan QD 5500 Oil Fill Tube Gone

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 14278
Getting oil in can be a problem. What can be done is just remove the clamp at the bottom of the full tube and pour the oil in and buy another clamp and re-clamp. There is not much room at the top to pour the oil in and you need a funnel and a long flex tube. The oil has to be poured in very slowly. If he's telling you that it needs to be removed I think he is taking you for a ride. You should be able to see the tube.

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 14279
Attachments :

We have a 2005 vintage. The oil filler hose rubbed on the cooling fan causing wear and eventually a hole in the oil filler tube where it crosses over the fan. I took out my genny as it needed the 1000 hour service and replaced the filler tube at that time. The updated tube supposedly fixes the issue but wasn't available at the time I bought mine. I did add a support to keep the tube away from the fan. As I remember, someone on the list was able to do the replacement w/o removing the genny. I doubt that I could have done that, but maybe a more experienced wrench might have success. Genny removal wasn't very difficult - I used a forklift to lower the genny from my '05 Endura. I think Ron said he used forks on his tractor.
    Greg T.
    MN

Reply #3
    Yahoo Message Number: 14280
    When I replaced mine about 2 years ago, Onan supplied a kit for the repair that included an all metal fill tube. Fortunately, when I called the local dealer and explained which part I needed, he found a service bulletin identifying the redesign which I then ordered. No more rubber. Paid about $250 at the time.

I believe the Part # for the kit is (was) A044F075.

Charles

Reply #4
    Yahoo Message Number: 14281
    I replaced the tube on mine a couple years ago. Not sure I got the latest update. But has been OK since.
    Some of the Gulf Stream models have top of generator behind some compartment frame work. Only way to work on it is remove generator. Even putting oil in is a pain.
    Best
    Ron Hall

Reply #5
    Yahoo Message Number: 14282
    Thanks for the replies, folks. I have an appointment at Cummins in Avondale Monday morning. They should be able to make it right, eh? The news about an upgraded part is comforting, I was thinking the genset was going to keep giving me trouble.

Reply #6
    Yahoo Message Number: 14283
    I replaced mine a couple of years ago and did it in place. It wasn't easy but it is doable. I did remove all the panels that I could because of the oil that was spilled and thrown around inside the unit. I wanted to clean it after replacing the fill tube. I recall that I unbolted the unit and slid it as far outboard as I could and removed the back panel to replace the gen drive belt. I cut down an allen wrench to remove and install the bolt that secures the fill tube to the engine which is located between the engine and gen in a very narrow place. That bolt was the hardest part of the job. I was quoted 400 plus parts to fix the oil tube. I laughed and left.
    Denny