Skip to main content
Topic: 2008 Kodiak w/13.5k springs..issue? (Read 573 times) previous topic - next topic

2008 Kodiak w/13.5k springs..issue?

Yahoo Message Number: 13746
I have a 2008 Gulfstream 6341 on a Kodiak 4500, 8.1

After reading through few topics on the rear springs on these chassis I decided to take a look as see what I have going on.

The service codes indicate a 13.5k spring pack (HD2).
I went and took a close look at them and I noticed the springs still have an arch to them (they arent "flat") BUT the are pressed right up into the BUMP STOPS. They are touching the bump stops while there is just a normal load on the chassis (empty water tank, empty waste tanks, 3/4 tank of fuel, no tongue weight from a tow, etc).

The bump stops themselves are starting to deteriorate as they are always being "pushed on" by the spring pack.

I am thinking this is an ISSUE that I should have taken care of.
-Call Gulfstream customer service?
-Take it into GM truck center for bigger spring pack and replace bump stops?
-SuperSprings?
-Air bags?

Any info welcome.

Thanks, Steve

Re: 2008 Kodiak w/13.5k springs..issue?

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 13747
Why I rebuilt my springs was the fact that my MH was dragging ground , quite frequently, and was not level when parked on level ground. My motorhome was 3 1/2 inches out of level from front to back and side to side. The professional leveled the motorhome and then raised the rear to stop dragging. The sway bar was more than big enough he said. He also installed bigger shock mounts because my stock ones where bent. It was as different as nite and day. Not scary in the wind anymore. I do know the bumpers should not be involved regularly.

Larry Payne  ⛳

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 13748
McCormick Chevrolet in Nappanee, IN purchased and installed the chassis upgrades. I would call them for the snubber parts. Northern Indiana GM Dealership | McCormick Motors | New & Used Commerical Vehicles Dealer in Northern Indiana & Nappanee

I have the 6340 model. Added Ride Rite airbags several years ago. They have worked very well for me. But my MH came with a air compressor. So I did not need to install one. Saved a couple $100. I would look at getting springs rated at 15,000 lbs if I wanted better suspension in rear without putting super springs on. Take your MH to truck spring shop for best repair service.

Best
Ron Hall

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 13751
Steve,
I also have the 13.5 Springs, mine on a 6316 Gulfstream. I added the Koni Shocks first, which did improve the ride. Then I added the Superspings. They raised the back up about 2 inches, and the ride is much better. No more scary sway in high winds.
Good luck,
Bill