Skip to main content
Topic: Mouse issues! (Read 478 times) previous topic - next topic

Mouse issues!

Yahoo Message Number: 8773
Hi all,
our latest saga involves the discovery of mice under the sink area. Luckily, they were confined to that area and did not get into the main part of the MH. In crawling around under the rig, is there anyplace I should check first as to how the little buggers are getting in? The plumbing goes through an interior wall then disappears aft somewhere. I know they are resourceful and don't need much of a hole to get in. Anyone else experience this? Wife and kids NOT happy about camping with mice.

Re: Mouse issues!

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 8775
Turn on the forced air unit and then check inside all the vents for nesting material. They got into my rig through the duct for the holding tanks.
Then use a can of spray foam and look everywhere under the rig and in the firewall area for small holes.

I don't worry about them getting inside as much as I worry about them chewing on the wiring to the computers under the hood. I've seen that happen several times on Mercedes.

Dan

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 8776
We had one get on board when we were in Colorado but I don't think he/she liked my driving as they bailed somewhere along I-70 :).

There is a product called Cab-Fresh, that the grain farmers use to keep them out of combines etc. You can get it at some ACE Hardware stores, Tractor Supply, Menards and online. It is a natural deterrent, smells good and comes with a money back guarantee. I now keep some in the compartments and one under sink.

You definitely want to trap it in lieu of using poisons. It could die in an area where you can't get the body out and then you have odors.. :(

Dave Sparke

-

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 8777
Yeah, we trapped them, and are pretty sure we got them all, since they can't resist peanut butter, and the traps were un-sprung this morning. Just want to ensure their extended family doesn't figure out the same way in. I will look for Cab Fresh today and crawl around with the spray foam. Thanks again

To: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
Cc: Leonard Vdovec
Sent: Saturday, March 31, 2012 6:32 AM
Subject: Re: [KodiakChassisClassC] Mouse issues!

We had one get on board when we were in Colorado but I don't think he/she liked my driving as they bailed somewhere along I-70 :).

There is a product called Cab-Fresh, that the grain farmers use to keep them out of combines etc. You can get it at some ACE Hardware stores, Tractor Supply, Menards and online. It is a natural deterrent, smells good and comes with a money back guarantee. I now keep some in the compartments and one under sink.

You definitely want to trap it in lieu of using poisons. It could die in an area where you can't get the body out and then you have odors.. :(

Dave Sparke

-

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 8778
I have been battling mice for 2 years. I tried using the foam stuff and thought I got every crevice. I didn't. I had a RV repair shop try to find any openings I missed - they also failed. I tried traps - no good, to many nooks and crannies in a RV. But I did catch a few tiny mice. I have had good luck with 4 sound devices while stored. 2 of the Home Depot cheap ones in the sewer compartment and the TV compartment and then 2 of the Bird X TX-PRO units in main living area and bedroom. They were $27 a piece on Amazon vs about $80 elsewhere. They are pretty loud and I only use them while in storage. Remove the bait (I used Dcon) as they actually attract the rodents. I also use Bonide's Mouse Magic repellent behind cabinets etc where the sound can't reach. It is peppermint and spearmint oil I think. Good luck and please share your results. It is a real battle if you store your RV in a place that has mice around.

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 8782

Beneath the drivers dash is a rubber grommet which is an OEM opening. Mine wash shoved out of the hole by wiring installed by the coach manufacturer. This 3" opening was a perfect doorway for mice.

Roger