Skip to main content
Topic: Jayco Seneca 34SS questions (Read 509 times) previous topic - next topic

Jayco Seneca 34SS questions

Yahoo Message Number: 8294
Went and looked at a 2008 Seneca 34SS yesterday and I was impressed with the unit. I went away with some unanswered questions and hope this group can supply the answers !

1. When turning off the engine, I had my foot on the brake pedal and felt a pulsing in the brake pedal and heard rapid clicking. As soon as I took my foot off of the brake pedal the noise quit. I suspect that somehow the anti-skid is being activated....is this normal ?

2. With the engine braking system activated, the transmission appears to downshift whenever you "take your foot off of the accelerator". Is this how this system should work ? Is there a limiter in the engine/transmission that will not allow engine braking to exceed a certain RPM ?

3. I noticed the hood on this unit moving up and down quite a bit while driving. In my mind, the hood (containing headlights) moving/vibrating up and down will result in a oscillating light pattern on the road ahead of the unit. Any thoughts and known fixes on this ?

4. House batteries....this unit appears to have 4 batteries, is this the standard set-up for this unit ? I read somewhere that this unit carried 2 house batteries and was suprised to see 4 batteries sitting in there.

5. We drug the trailer hitch while exiting a main road onto the a side street (encountered a dip at the curb). Does anyone have any idea of the max angle of entry/departure the MH can encounter without dragging the trailer hitch ? The hitch on this unit did have what appeared to be a piece of metal below the receiver tube designed to drag before anything else on the hitch. I measured the length from the rear wheels to back of MH (144 in.) but forgot to measure from ground to bottom of hitch...does anyone have this measurement ?

5. This unit has the full bed in the overhead...no ladder to get up there with...anyone have a source on a ladder to use/purchase (excluding your handyman alum. or fiberglass models). DW just aint gonna buy into that Red Green solution !

Thanks
Ray Hamilton

Re: Jayco Seneca 34SS questions

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 8295
ok, in order.
1)yes
2) It should only work that way at relitively low speed. At highway speeds it shouldn't do that unless you're going down hill.
3)that kept my from buying a new one that we looked at (diesel) before the one we bought new (gas) there is a way to tighten it down, but I would make the dealer do that.
4) standard is 2 if you have 4 do a happy dance.
5)depends on your load. I have scraped comeing out of driveways. I realy want to put a set of casters on the back for just this reason.
6) I built an ash and alder ladder with a cleat that catches on the lip down to the driveing deck (it looks like a slanted L when up) that folds for storage. It's not hard if you have a little woodworking skill, or you can get a buddy to make you one. The short end of the l should fold up to almost parallel to the ladder, round the bottom of the ladder legs where they attach to the short end, so that they don't hit the floor. Then put an 8 inch or so board across the end of the piviting pieces so that it's [ shaped. If that's not clear and you want to build one, I can probably take pictures.
Morrigan

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 8296
1. With engine off pressing on brake pedal will activate the Hydro-boost motor. This gives you some power brake operation if power is lost while MH is moving.
2. You are experiencing the Exhaust Brake activating. A great feature that helps save chassis brakes and control down hill speeds. There is a switch on right hand side of dash that turns the Exhaust Brake off. Transmission with up shift if RPM's exceed about 3600. Transmission will not down shift until a certain speed is achieved. 3rd is about 45 mph, 30 for 2nd and 20 for 1st.
3. It is normal for the hood to have the wobbles. Headlights do not seem to bounce because they are near the mounting points.
4. Normal is 2 batteries. Some have added 2 more.
5. Rubbing on a steep drive can happen with long over hang of rear of a Class C. I added Firestone Ride Rite air bags to my chassis to improve clearance.
5. Again. We have a entertainment center in the overhead. No need for a ladder. But have seen ladders in RV parts catalogs.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 8297
In mid 08 they upgraded the inverters to 1800 as well as the extra 2 batteries. At least that's how mine came.

-

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 8298
,  wrote:
In mid 08 they upgraded the inverters to 1800 as well as the extra 2 batteries. At least that's how mine came.

Ordered mine from the factory inj Dec. 07 and it was delivered in Feb. 08 with four 12 volt house batteries. They are in the bay between the entrance door and the passenger door.

Bob Barbee
2008 Seneca 34SS
2006 Colorado 4x4 Crewcab

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 8306
Ron:

Did your air bags help with sway? I am trying to figure if air bags would help or if I should go with an antisway bar.

Sherm

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 8310
It helped some. Helped to give me more clearance than anything else. My GS has Stabil-Ride on it. It is a type of Tembrens that helped a lot.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 8317
Hi Ray, when you switch the exhuast brake on, the 2000 MH series 6spd Allison will shift down to 3rd as you lift your foot off the pedal to increase engine braking, the variable vane turbo brake will also kick in, all of which is standard GM factory settings, (note; 2008 will not have the old style exhuast brake in the exhuast pipe) Allison can reprogram the 2000 series transmission to change down to 4th (rather than 3rd) to reduce high engine braking rpm at high speeds. Jack,