Skip to main content
Topic: Thank you Jayco for more... (Read 982 times) previous topic - next topic

Thank you Jayco for more...

Yahoo Message Number: 13671
Thank you Jayco for more poor design and workmanship! Without you Jayco, welders who never even passed high-school welding class would never be able to find a job to support their habits.

Really? Your lazy ass worked 1/2 welded 1/2 of the bracket on my coach? Yes that is correct folks see the photos, they really only welded on one side of 1/2 of the Drivers Side bracket on the Leveling Jack Mounts welded to the frame and not even the good half! And yes people it failed on me this weekend. The rust you see is one of the mounting brackets they cut away to make room for the leveling jack bracket. The whole shiny little weld just failed.

Note the Passenger Side is at least fully welded on at least one side. This one held in place but the whole bracket welded to the frame and the jack mounting bracket all buckled under the extensive loading when the Driver's side failed.

This one I am having a mechanical engineer debunk.

Now how the hell do I get this fixed?

The Jayco Nightmare continues........

Be well,

~
Victor | KI6IM |

Jayco Embark TB390 Bunkhouse

Re: Thank you Jayco for more...

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 13672
Those are "cold" welds. No penetration. The fix is to grind out most of the bad welds and have it welded with proper settings and technique. Thick frame material and thick bracket material needs a lot of heat and better welder control. Much of welding is operator skill and technique, but in your case it appears to be needing higher power settings. Those are MIG welds, and that type is common to have penetration problems. The wire feed just sits on top of the surface and no real mixing into the base metal.

Re: Thank you Jayco for more... [4 Attachments]

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 13673
I think those are added before the chassis arrives at JAYCO's plant. At least the BIG FOOTs on my sister-in-laws Greyhawk were.

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 13674
Dave, I wonder if that means that MOR/Ryde is the culprit here because they do the wheelbase lengthening and frame rail extensions for Jayco.

Don

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 13675
Or BIG FOOT themselves, I've never seen any welding being done in the plant when we've been there and the chassis's heading into production are all sitting right outside the door.

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 13677
There sure was a lot of welding done by MOR/Ryde on our Kodiak Greyhawk. First, the wheelbase was extended (they buy a real short one for stock and then lengthen as needed - and our drive line then had 3 sections instead of the original 2) and then they lengthened the frame rails to accommodate the size of the box (house) being built on it. So ours had at least 8 welds the width of the frame rails (each end of four inserts). They also had to redo the exhaust location and some will recall that the way it was hung didn't work well and the supports broke.

When ours developed a strange sound out of the driveline, the first IA by Jayco was to get MOR/Ryde in (since they did the wheelbase extension) and they concluded that the driveshaft (3 sections) had to be balanced. That didn't solve the problem and McCormick ended up replacing the PIG at a cost of $3300.

Don

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 13679
Yup. Done by Mor/Ryde. Doesn't do much to get it fixed. A good welding shop should be able to do a good repair.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 13680
What was the Bigfoot reference Dave. Not the jacks? Ours were PowerGear. Don't know what they use now though.

D

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 13682
BIG FOOT jacks. They used them on some E-450 Greyhawks. My sister-in-law had a weld issue with hers and Big Foot paid for the warranty repair that is how I know JAYCO did not do the welding. I know BIG FOOT in now standard on all motorized, at least all the "C"'s and the new Precept. Not sure what they are using on the ENTEGRA. Don't have a clue as to why they used Power Gear on the early Super "C"s.

Dave

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 13683
I seem to recall that at our meeting with Jayco at the rally in 2010 the Jayco staff got a lot of complaints from our group about the Power Gear response to questions - that is, you virtually couldn't reach them to get help. If Jayco no longer uses them I can understand why they made that decision.

Don

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 13684
Not related to any welding issue, but it is "jack' related. Just returned from a short 10 day trip to Moab, Utah and on one of the colder morning's I retracted my Power Gear jacks on my Seneca and all of the lights on the control panel blinked on and off for about 30 seconds. It has done this before on cold mornings. Today I filled the Power Gear reservoir with 2oz. of Mercon ATF, Filled to top of the cap. I'm sure this should correct the blinking.

russ

Re: Thank you Jayco for more... [4 Attachments]

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 13688
So I took the coach to the industrial hydraulics shop near me - its been there 50 years. Anyway they laughed so hard at the shit install, welding effort that looked like it was done by a kid who did not know how to weld, and no way was certified to weld, and it was pretty clear the guys simply never finished the job on one side of the coach, that side failed and took out the other side with it.

They will cut off all the brackets, build new ones, take apart and check the pistons etc to make sure they are not damaged, correctly weld in new brackets with a level of competency never seen at Jayco before, and put it all back together.

I have a call into Jayco: I will be sending Jayco the bill for this repair, out of warranty but they are totally culpable for this shit. Its to terribly frustrating and inexcusable.

Just about the time I think I have my issues resolved, more stuff happens to this thing.

Missing my Dutchmen.....Dreaming about the Dynamax..

Be well,

~
Victor | KI6IM |

Dutchmen Diesel 34H Bunkhouse - For Sale

On Monday, October 27, 2014 10:38 AM, "Victor Burns vburns1@... [SuperCrvgroup]"  wrote:

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 13689
Victor,
My husband has thrown the roll under the motorhome cart thing in the car and is headed to the storage yard to check out the welds. He has heard suspicious noises and is wondering if perhaps it's weld related. Every time we hear another stupid Jayco story I kick myself because I picked out the Embark after we rejected a brand spanking new DX3.
Ellie

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 13690
Well I was happy to save the 100% price difference vs. the new DX3 which I almost purchased but I did not want to wait for one to be built the way I wanted it.

Its a good idea to look around at everything carefully.

I am pretty good with the Freightliner mechanical part, I love the overkill when fully loaded and still WAY under gross by many thousands of pounds etc. The safety margin is fantastic!

Look me up anytime. victor@... or drop me a note and we can exchange numbers etc.

Be well,

~
Victor | KI6IM |

On Tuesday, October 28, 2014 4:08 PM, "Ellen Fasso efasso@... [SuperCrvgroup]"  wrote: