Skip to main content
Topic: Towing behind seneca (Read 1010 times) previous topic - next topic

Towing behind seneca

Yahoo Message Number: 14405
So how many people tow trailers behind their seneca? Not just flat towing but I am interested in how big of trailers and what people are towing and if they have concerns/ issues with tongue weight on the long overhang? I have a small 14' car hauler to load a car on and also have a large 24' enclosed and have a hitch toad to carry to tongue weight but was wondering if anyone tows that large of trailer without tongue weight issues?

Re: Towing behind seneca

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 14406
I tow a 22' trailer and it pulls like a dream
I have a zx and I had two bikes in the back as well

Re: Towing behind seneca [2 Attachments]

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 14407
we don't have a Seneca but ours is a Gulfstream Independence 6319 with the 8.1 gas engine. we tow a 1994 Mustang converible on an 18ft open trailer twice a month from April to Nov and have towed a 28 ft enclosed with race car and golf cart occasionly. the enclosed puts more of a load on the motorhome but it handles either trailer easily and you barely notice them when cruising on the highway. we use equalizer hitches on both trailers. i would think with a toad taking most of tongue weight you will have no problems towing your 24 ft enclosed. whats most noticable to me is the Kodiak and the enclosed trailer take up a lot of road space and you have to be careful in traffic and right turns at intersections

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 14409
Jason,

I have a 2006 Seneca and frequently tow my 4,000 pound Jeep on a Carson trailer; when fully loaded I am at the coach's max GVW recommendations. I am very confident in my driving skills and the coach does very well at the top end of her recommended limits. To answer your question, when I am driving at the coach's limits I am concerned enough to take the extra precautions by driving a little slower and stopping a little more frequently to check things out.

I did have an incident on a recent trip when one of the four bolts that holds the receiver hitch to the coach broke. Luckily I noticed it in time and fixed the problem without issue.

Russ

Re: Towing behind seneca [1 Attachment]

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 14411
Can not see your picture attached and love to see pics of these rigs towing? Anyway, so I assume you are using a 16-18' open trailer and you have not experienced any issues with tongue weight on the back of the coach?

Sent from somewhere

Re: Towing behind seneca [2 Attachments]

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 14484

I have a new to me 2006 34ss and am towing a 24 foot enclosed at about 7500lbs with no issues. I do have weight distribution hitch and electic brakes, but this is normal for this size trailer. Happy so far with it for this use.
Good luck!

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 14485
You're 7500 pounds trailer should have at least a thousand pounds of tongue weight and even though it's on a weight distribution hitch that's puts your way over gross on the motorhome itself GVWR. And 7500 pounds plus what your coach weighs especially your coach it's already nearly at gross anyway empty, you only have about 3500# pounds of tow capacity. You are likely 4,000# over GCWR. 
My biggest problem with all of that is that your personal liability if something bad were to happen is probably going to fall in you and your insurance company will not cover you for exceeding the GVWR and GCWR.  I WOULD NEVER DO WHAT YOU ARE DOING: ITS IRRESPONSIBLEI purchased the Dutchman version as it has more excess capacity as the GVWR is 19 5 with the same GCWR.when my trailer got over 5500#s I upgraded to the embark where I can legitimately toe 20,000 pounds and I'm still 10,000 pounds under gross.~Victor BurnsKI6IMEmbark TB390 Bunkhouse   

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 14486
I've been pulling trailers down the road for over 35 years, if your rig will pull it and stop it and you feel comfortable with it then go for it dude.     

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 14487
Sound advice to have your tires, axles, chassis etc. overloaded and putting the other driving public at risk. The reality is insurance companies are denying coverage for stupid.    

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 14488
Isn't his towing capacity 8500 pounds? My 2008 Seneca 36FS says 8500 pounds. Jay

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 14489
Your towing capacity is your GCWR minus your actual vehicle weight. If your chassis is rated for 26000 combined and your coach weighs 19500, then your actual tow capacity would be 6500 lbs. It's a moving target as you load the coach. Take care, Greg

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 14490
sure you can sit around all year talking about it on the internet and worry what might happen or you can go out and have a good time 

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 14518
Good luck with that. And please do us the favor to stay away from my highways.I see so many overloaded accident scenarios from axle failures, tire failures, chassis failures and cases where the trailer/tow combo causes an accident shaking everything like an insignificant fleck of sand from a beach towel all caused by mis/overloaded situations. The hours wasted