Skip to main content
Topic: GS Conquest Super C 6316DK - Living room slide locks? (Read 659 times) previous topic - next topic

GS Conquest Super C 6316DK - Living room slide locks?

Yahoo Message Number: 7206
Does anyone know if there are locks on this model?

There is a sticker saying to lock the slide before moving, but I don't see anywhere where they would be on the slide (at least in the interior like my previous Winnie Journey had).

Re: GS Conquest Super C 6316DK - Living room slide locks?

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 7207
I have 2 sets of slide lock setting a shelf in the barn. Use them 1 or 2 times. Then decided they were not worth the hassle. The lock have to be manually installed and tightened. They are not built like some other manufactures.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 7209
Attachments :

I have a 6340 with the same sticker. They are stored under the bench seat. I haven't used them to date.
    Greg
    MN

From: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Ken
    Sent: Thursday, June 23, 2011 6:44 PM
    To: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
    Subject: [KodiakChassisClassC] GS Conquest Super C 6316DK - Living room slide locks?

There is a sticker saying to lock the slide before moving, but I don't see anywhere where they would be on the slide (at least in the interior like my previous Winnie Journey had).

Reply #3
    Yahoo Message Number: 7210
    The locks on my GS Endura 6316 are adjustable spacer bars that sit on top of the slide when it is retracted. Very awkward to install and remove. If accidentally left in place when deploying the slide, it could be very costly. I used them a couple of times because of the instruction that you stated. When I understood how the slide operated, I determined that they are unnecessary.

The slide is operated by a double acting hydraulic cylinder. At any given position, assuming the controls are not being operated, the cylinder locks the slide from moving due to the inability of the hydraulic fluid to flow. The fluid is deadheaded between the valves and the cylinder. It would take a catastrophic failure somewhere in the system, such as a line rupturing or a connecting pin breaking to release the "lock". Even then, the slide would not move unless there were external force trying to open it.

Thousands of miles later, when the slide is retracted, it stays there.

Charles

Reply #4
    Yahoo Message Number: 7211
    Mine have gathered dust in the garage since day 1.

From: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Greg
    Sent: Thursday, June 23, 2011 5:39 PM
    Subject: RE: [KodiakChassisClassC] GS Conquest Super C 6316DK - Living room slide locks?

I have a 6340 with the same sticker. They are stored under the bench seat. I haven't used them to date.
    Greg
    MN

From: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Ken
    Sent: Thursday, June 23, 2011 6:44 PM
    Subject: [KodiakChassisClassC] GS Conquest Super C 6316DK - Living room slide locks?

Reply #5
    Yahoo Message Number: 7212
    Have any of you had any trouble with your slide hydraulics? When I retract my slide on my 6316, I some times have to bump the retract switch several times to get the slide to retract. Once it starts moving, it's fine, but it's a little nerve wracking until it starts to close. I'm always worried that it will get stuck open. I cleaned all the electrical connections on the valves, actuators, whatever you want to call them, and it seemed to work better at first, but now it's back to the same old thing. Also, I've noticed that when deploying the jacks, the slide will 'creep' open just a bit. Maybe 1/2-3/4". Any suggestions? I have an aftermarket warranty, and I'm thinking of bringing it in to the dealer, but I figured I'd see if anyone else has had a similar issue first. Thanks!!

Tony Savini

Sent: Thu, June 23, 2011 7:44:10 PM

Reply #6
    Yahoo Message Number: 7213
    If you do not hear the pump running when switch is first pressed. Then check/replace the switch.
    Best
    Ron Hall

Reply #7
    Yahoo Message Number: 7214
    Ron, I thought the same thing. But when the switch is pressed, and you put your hand on the relay under the coach, you can feel the relay click. I thought maybe the relay, but the slide will go out every time, only has trouble on the way in, so I'm thinking hydraulic valve problem.

Reply #8
    Yahoo Message Number: 7215
    I have had the same issue with my '05 6316. My standard practice is to push on the bottom of the slide where the cylinder connects while someone else is operating the switch, to get it going. From what I can tell, it is adjusted correctly and I keep the slide mechanism lubricated.

Two things -
    1. If battery voltage is down, the slide struggles. I rewired the hydraulics so the motor draws from the chassis batteries instead of the coach batteries. They are usually higher at the end of a stay, and starting the engine is good for another volt or two.
    2. Lubricating the seals helps. Getting to the one across the top is difficult. I just replaced my slide topper fabric so I was able to easily clean and dress the top seal. I used Armor-all. Don't know if that's the best stuff. Made a big improvement in slide retraction.

Another note: My jacks stopped operating recently. Turned out to be a bad connection inside one of the connectors at the motor/valve assembly. These connectors aren't weather tight making them vulnerable to corrosion, so cleaning them like you did will reduce any self induced impedance to current flow. The connections of the power supply and ground cables are most important.

As to the creep - don't know.

Charles

Reply #9
    Yahoo Message Number: 7216
    Thanks guys, sounds like they're a pia. I had the same thoughts that if it's hydraulic, it would take something major for the slide to come out unintentionally. I'll have to check under the couch to see if they're there :-)

Another note - as reported before, the bottom of the slide tends to creep out an inch or two over time. While traveling in Tucson, I had to take in over to Lance's RV center.....great place btw...got me in the morning I called, and fixed my 4 issues by the end of the day, along with an oil change.

Anyway - the tech, Denny was telling me that it usually occurs with some air in the oil lines. He said the system was self bleeding, and I should keep the button pressed in for about 10 seconds either extracting or retracting the slide to let the system do it's thing.

Reply #10
    Yahoo Message Number: 7217
    My slide can be slow to start moving in. It is struggling to move while bring slide up to floor level. One of the things that causes this, is piston rod is in middle of piston. This takes away pressure to return slide. Another thing I have found is to keep slide mechanism lubed with slide lube.
    Another option is to put synthetic oil in pump. This helps a lot when using MH in cold weather.

Reply #11
    Yahoo Message Number: 7218
    Great suggestion on the oil. Do you think Dexron VI would be a good choice?

Charles

Reply #12
    Yahoo Message Number: 7223
    Not sure about Dexron VI. Whatever get make sure it is synthetic.
    Best
    Ron Hall