Skip to main content
Topic: Passenger door handle linkage (Read 440 times) previous topic - next topic

Passenger door handle linkage

Yahoo Message Number: 8927
Have a 2006 Kodiak (07 Jayco 33DS) subject linkage has fallen apart three times in two years. Difficult to get at, and very time consuming. Anyone else encountered this? If so, how'd you get it to stay together or did you?

Re: Passenger door handle linkage

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 8928
Ric,

I have the same 06 chassis. No problem so far with 26k on it. I haven't heard of that problem. It might be assembled wrong. I would compare it to the other door.

Dan

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 8929
Hello,
I had that problem of the passanger door not opening also. I have tried to 'fix' it twice, then finally got it to stay fixed.
The screw on the linkage had not completely come off, so that was a good thing. I notice the last time I was fixing it and screwed the screw in, just using the handle to open the door made the screw turn counterclockwise. So every opening loosened the screw just a bit.
All I did was to spray the screw with WD 40. That prevented the screw from turning and stayed tight.

Joe

To: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Monday, April 23, 2012 3:39 PM
Subject: [KodiakChassisClassC] Passenger door handle linkage

Have a 2006 Kodiak (07 Jayco 33DS) subject linkage has fallen apart three times in two years. Difficult to get at, and very time consuming. Anyone else encountered this? If so, how'd you get it to stay together or did you?

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 8931
Hello Ric,

It sounds like the screw has fallen out. That makes it more difficult. First I would find the screw. It should still be in the door. There is a plastic rectangle that can be removed to access the bottom of the door and that is where I put a light to shine up to the linkage

I almost drilled a 1/4" hole at the screw/linkage inside panel height to aide in the screw tightening, but did not have to.
That might have to be done(hole) to get the screw back into the linkage.
A plastic cap can then be put on the door to cover the hole if it looks bad.
I would take a look at the driver door, so you can see what the linkage is supposed to look like.

Ric, hope this helps
, Joe

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 8932
After rewiewing my notes, I realized that I did not mention the door panel has to come off to get to all the work I was talking about. Once all the screws are removed, the door panel lifts up to remove it.
I found it nessary to lift and tilt the vertical plastic molding on the left side of the window. The window has to be up.
There are two electrical leads, and the speaker wire that also have to be removed to actually pull the door panel away from the door.

Joe

To: kodiakchassisclassc@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Monday, April 23, 2012 6:03 PM
Subject: Re: [KodiakChassisClassC] Passenger door handle linkage

Hello Ric,

It sounds like the screw has fallen out. That makes it more difficult. First I would find the screw. It should still be in the door. There is a plastic rectangle that can be removed to access the bottom of the door and that is where I put a light to shine up to the linkage

I almost drilled a 1/4" hole at the screw/linkage inside panel height to aide in the screw tightening, but did not have to.
That might have to be done(hole) to get the screw back into the linkage.
A plastic cap can then be put on the door to cover the hole if it looks bad.
I would take a look at the driver door, so you can see what the linkage is supposed to look like.

Ric, hope this helps
, Joe

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 8935
I had the problem twice, had to modify the spring, to grab the plastic part better...Who puts a piece of plastic as the main part on the door of a big truck?
Morrigan

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 8938
On 4/23/2012 6:29 PM, Joseph Marinello wrote:

After rewiewing my notes, I realized that I did not mention the door
panel has to come off to get to all the work I was talking about.

I'm into the door and will pick up the new door handle assembly
tomorrow. Man are they proud of that thing - $52 at the Chevy dealer.

My brother-in-law is a locksmith and is coming over to lend a hand with
the finer points since the lock assembly has to come out of the handle
and installed into the new one. He's seen a million doors inside so I
figure it will make the job quicker and then I can put the panels back
on. From what I can see there is a metal piece at the top of the
assembly that has broken off in mine.

Take care,
Greg

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 8944
Greg - Please take some photos before you button up. This may be in my future.

Kevin

Kevin (Real) McCoy [KF5FUZ]
("Roscoe Ventura" Jayco Seneca HD SS 34 Diesel 2006; "Toad" Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2007)

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 8955
Kevin (Real) McCoy wrote:

Greg - Please take some photos before you button up. This may be in my
future.

I'll give it a try, but I don't know how much you'll be able to see.
They obviously built the inside of the door before spot welding the
inside panel in place. It's like doing arthroscopic surgery with your
eye in one hole, tools in another and trying to shine a light in from
someplace.

Take care,
Greg