Skip to main content
Topic: Cooling fan acting funny in hard rain. (Read 399 times) previous topic - next topic

Cooling fan acting funny in hard rain.

Yahoo Message Number: 9627
I have an 05 (04 chassis) 8.1 Gulfstream 6316, and have been experiencing some strange things during heavy rain driving. My cooling fan will engage and disengage repeatedly if I get caught in a very hard rain. It continues to do it until the rain slows most times. But has eventually engaged completely a couple of times as well. I mean wipers on high can't go over 35 mph kind of rain, so it's not something that happens often, but I was wondering if others have had the same experience. I know if the fan fails it can cause some pretty catastrophic damage, so I'd like to prevent seeing that first hand if possible. At the same time, I'll bet it's a pretty pricey item, so I don't want to go throwing parts at a problem that isn't really an issue 99.5% of the time if it's not needed. This group has been a great source of Kodiak knowledge, so any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Re: Cooling fan acting funny in hard rain.

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 9681
Hmmm, so I guess I'm the only one to experience this one so far. I'm thinking maybe a bad relay, or the fan clutch itself. Anyone have any info on the delay location for the engine cooling fan? Thanks!

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 9682
I have never had this kind of problem. Ran through some heavy rain last December. No problems. Same type of rain had to slow down to 30 mph in order to see where I was going. Not sure the 8.1 cooling stack and fan is the same as a diesel.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 9683

I have not experienced this and did take notice when driving in some heavy T-storms last week. I have the Duramax diesel though.

Roger