Skip to main content
Topic: Webasto or Aquahot hydronic heater connection for engine preheat (Read 453 times) previous topic - next topic

Webasto or Aquahot hydronic heater connection for engine preheat

Yahoo Message Number: 15354
Does anyone have experience with installing a an engine preheat loop on a 6.6 DuraMax LLY (mines a 2006) using one of the hydronic heaters? I'm replacing the LP hot water and forced air heaters with a diesel hydronic heater to provide coach heat via in floor PEX tubes and hot water thru a double wall heat exchanger.
Additionally, the unit has a provision for providing engine pre-heat thru an additional single wall heat exchanger. I have everything plumbed, but need a way to identify the chassis heater input and return lines.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

NMSkiers
Monte and Peg Bourn
Albuquerque, NM and Anchorage, AK
2006 Jayco Seneca 34SS

Re: Webasto or Aquahot hydronic heater connection for engine preheat

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 15355
Interesting upgrade. Chassis heater and hoses are located on passenger side of engine. Heater is not easy to get at. Jeff Cox lost his while visiting me a couple years ago. Hoses should be easy to get at. But if you need to get at heater core it is not easy. Tight area where hoses attach.
Jeff was about 20 miles from my place when heater core went out. We got some heater for Auto Zone and by passed heater. Until he got a new heater.
Best
Ron Hall

Re: Webasto or Aquahot hydronic heater connection for engine preheat

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 15358

Thanks Ron, I think I got it figured out. I need to splice into the heater inlet line with the outlet side of the heat exchanger, I'll put an anti- siphon valve between my in put and return that's behind the pump I'm installing in the engine loop for a couple reasons. First it will ensure that the engine side remains closed a loop when the system's not in use and second so I can make parasitic use of engine heat while traveling. Since we're both skiers and love the many advantages of ski area boon docking; one of the additional projects during this effort is to run loops of the PEX from the the return loops around the fresh, gray and black tanks and then use spray foam to insulate them. Hopefully adding running water back into our ski lives.
I'm sure learning a lot about Jayco construction during this effort.

Safe travels,

NMSkiers
Monte and Peg Bourn
Albuquerque, NM and Anchorage, AK
2006 Jayco Seneca 34SS