Skip to main content
Topic: OK Found it - (Read 783 times) previous topic - next topic

OK Found it -

Yahoo Message Number: 15542
Between the Muffler Converter and the engine along the Exhaust path. Directly behind the Cab Battery under stair compartment.
Kevin KF5FUZ

Re: OK Found it -

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 15543
Lube is a must to keep the exhaust brake working. Super Lube is the same product and may be available at NAPA. Is the air compressor working on your MH. It is located behind drivers side cab step.
Oh, if you are on the side of the road. It may have stuck in the closed position. A pair of Channel Locks should be able to get it open again.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 15544
Thanks for asking Ron. We are OK and not stuck "open" thank goodness. We are camped on Highway 1 on the California / Oregon Coast. The exhaust break stopped activating yesterday. I am down shifting, going slow, and using the break a bit more, and it is a bit harder driving - but all doable.

You never know what you got till its gone, and I just got a big reminder about how much I love (and how easy the drive is) with a working Exhaust break. Of course Highway 1 is a stress test in any case.
The armature moves, so not seized up as far as I can see. Will check the compressor.

Best
Kevin KF5FUZ

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 15547
PacBrake recommends putting a few drops of lube in the exhaust brake cylinder. I needed to install a new compressor and pressure switch. I bought a 450C compressor kit and Viair 90111 pressure switch. Got them off Amazon. Hope you do not need them. I also replaced the Exhaust Brake with a Pac Brake model. But that another story.
Enjoy your trip. Russ is in the same area. But may be home now.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 15548
Wait a minute. You do have the Exhaust Brake turned on? It is a switch in panel to right of radio. Brake pedal switch can also cause a problem. Does your cruise control work? Mine needed a reset recently. Disconnected batteries for 10 minutes. Next time I took MH on road. All was OK.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 15549
Good thoughts.
I do have the switch turned on. The Exhaust Break indicator light even comes on when the Exhaust Break should be active, but there is none of the actions one would expect from Exhaust diversion (noise, breaking)

I can's recall on the cruise control. There were 5 construction zones between Willits and Crescent City. And all the hills, so not really cruise control country - if you know what I mean. I think it was working.

I have experienced what you are talking about (Cruise control temporary outage). Mostly after rest stops the cruise control will not operate. I have found that a spell of Breaking at speed with the exhaust break on, and then resuming travel, then cruise control will be back on. Extra cool down time seems to prevent this from happening.
Compressor seems to come on and then stop after a while, so I think it is working, but will check the lines today. Napa opens at 11am today. I did not see any zerts on the original Exhaust break I am sporting. Looks just like Kendrick's Pin Up.
Best
Kevin (Real) McCoy [@KF5FUZ]
("Roscoe Ventura" Jayco Seneca HD SS 34 Diesel 2006; [Chassis 2005]
"Toad" Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2007)

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 15550
Sounds like you are all over it! On my 07 its variable vain controlled at the turbo, but I always wanted to know if guys who were driving in hilly areas just left it on. I used mine so much I moved the switch over to the bank behind the gear shifter so I didn't have to reach so far.

Kendrick

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 15551
I leave mine on most of the time. When driving I have the LOD (load) displayed on my ScanGauge II. Keeping the load above 0 will not allow exhaust brake to come on. But will not make truck accelerate.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 15552
If all the lights are working. Sounds like everything is working up to valve.
Maybe the valve is not working. It is mounted above exhaust brake cylinder. Follow air line from exhaust brake cylinder to find it. Remove the electrical connector from valve. Then 12 volt power supply to test it and the cylinder. Batteries are close by. Use some small alligator clip test cables to activate it.
Before doing above lube everything. Use channel locks to move exhaust brake arm and cylinder while lubing.
Best
Ron Hall