Skip to main content
Topic: Chassis lube done on Greyhawk today (Read 677 times) previous topic - next topic

Chassis lube done on Greyhawk today

Yahoo Message Number: 910
Well, I did the chassis lube today. As I expected - a really mess.
I had on coveralls and when I was finished rolling around under the MH
for almost 2 hours I was downright filthy. The grease gun flex hose
sure stuck on the zerks and a couple took ages to work off. It was
murder getting it off of the zerks on the 4 u-joints in particular. I
used high quality grease on all of them.

It was difficult to determine how much grease was in most of the
locations but I had the feeling that they were far from dry.

Anyway, we will have our annual maintenance (oil, filter and whatever
else is necessary) done near the end of May and the dealer will be
able to do the chassis lube again. If they don't get it up on a
hoist I won't envy them - what a messy job.

Don

Re: Chassis lube done on Greyhawk today

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 911

Don,

I use an air lube gun... works great! A better option is to convince the DW to do it for you. Not that I have convinced mine as yet, but I cherish the day!

Denny

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 912
Denny, didn't mind the hand operated unit - it was getting that darn hose off each time. Interesting that I have 4 u-joints - one more than in the Kodiak manual lube diagram. I guess that is a result of the WB extension.

Confession time. My dealer has a used (7000 miles) SuperNova on the lot. I asked what it came in on - 2009 Navigator. I started looking and thinking but I think I've convinced myself not to be stupid again. Something about a MH approaching one year old - kind of like the old bit about getting a new car when the ashtrays are full. Think I got over it now (I hope). You can see it at www.sicardrv.com - under C Class - second page.

D

On 10-Apr-08, at 9:37 PM,

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 913

Don,

I checked out the coach... looks nice, but some possible issues. The window over the bed would get old very quickly. We had a 2003 Fleetwood Discovery with the window and in the summer the heat would roll off the window, and when it was colder outside, the condensation from the metal frame would soak the head of the bed. We finally covered the window with insulation board and closed the shade.

Also, the full length slideout may have some issues on that type of chassis. The weight distribution would be very heavy on the driver's side, and it looks like the hallway would disappear when the slide was in. Anyway, just looking for a few excuses to help make you feel better about not buying it. Lots of bucks for a Class C, any size, and I would be very suspicious of that new of unit being traded in... there had to be problems of some kind, IMHO.

Denny

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 914
Kind of like that big window in the bedroom - had them in our last MHs and they allowed much more air circulation.

Here is a road test of the same model:

http://www.fmca.com/fmc2008/marmag/coachfeature.asp

There is no problem using the toilet when the slide is in.

Anyway, I did decide "I don't like it" as I can't imagine a diesel like that without an exhaust brake or a compression brake. :)

Don

On 10-Apr-08, at 10:53 PM,

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 915

I've done it once and I thought it was a breeze. I have enough ground clearance to use a creeper, the driveshaft zerks were all lined up pointing to the ground so I didn't have to roll the rig to get them aligned, steering zerks were pretty easy to get to. If you used heavy duty truck grease you should be good to go. It's always a little messy. I bring a bunch of paper towels under there with me to wipe off the zerks and any seepage, and no matter what you do, grease gets where you don't want it.