Skip to main content
Topic: Close Call with Power/Genset safety transfer switch (Read 425 times) previous topic - next topic

Close Call with Power/Genset safety transfer switch

Yahoo Message Number: 8690
In our Seneca, out in a middle of nowhere park and tied into a 30 amp post at a state park I had a wire in the Genset/shore power safety switch overheat and melt/fuse to a ground wire in the box. Fortunately, the breaker in the pedestal was in good shape and tripped. However enough heat and smoke was generated to scare my wife half to death and melt the cabinet and terminal block Causing more shorts before tripping the breaker. We were running both A/Cs at the time which we've done dozens of times before. No other appliance was used to overload the circuit (if designed properly). Noticed that wiring into the switch was 6 AWG and Out to the panel was 6 AWG, but the jumpers between them and the solenoids was 10 AWG. Though not an electrician, I have done enough wiring (under inspection) to know one shouldn't pinch down wiring in the circuit. It was a Progressive Dynamics 50 Amp switch. Anyone else experience this?

Re: Close Call with Power/Genset safety transfer switch

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 8693

So 30 amps was able to carry 2 A/C units?

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 8694
I wondered about that as well. Would have to be very marginal and draw a lot of power that I could see causing the melt down - especially is the voltage was on the weak side.

Don

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 8695
Don Leslie wrote:

I wondered about that as well. Would have to be very marginal and draw a
lot of power that I could see causing the melt down - especially is the
voltage was on the weak side.

Bingo, if the voltage isn't there then it's going to suck some amperage
to achieve the watts it needs. Motors, relays, etc are a lot more
forgiving of extra voltage compared to extra current.

Take care,
Greg

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 8699
X4 and another good reason to have a good surge protector, they also shut
down on low voltage to prevent just that kind of damage.

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 8700
Forgot to add the #10 wire is only control voltage (runs the relays etc) and is not carrying the load.

From: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of David Sparke
Sent: Monday, March 19, 2012 4:08 PM
To: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
Subject: RE: [KodiakChassisClassC] Close Call with Power/Genset safety transfer switch

X4 and another good reason to have a good surge protector, they also shut
down on low voltage to prevent just that kind of damage.

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 8702
You may have had low voltage to your RV with both AC's running. Thats why I run a Surge Guard on my line. Will shut down down power if low or high voltage is detected.
A bad connection happens in or near the ATS (Automatic Transfer Switch) a high or low voltage will be at the ATS. A Surge Guard will not detect this problem.
There have been many reports of loose wires in ATS boxes and circuit breaker boxes. Good idea to check all these wires at least one time to verify that you do not have loose connections.
Best
Ron Hall