Skip to main content
Topic: 2015 Thor Super C - Cheateau, F550 with 6.7L Diesel. UPDATE - fuel  (Read 429 times) previous topic - next topic

2015 Thor Super C - Cheateau, F550 with 6.7L Diesel. UPDATE - fuel

Yahoo Message Number: 15164
2015 Thor Super C - Cheateau, F550 with 6.7L Diesel. UPDATE - fuel economy... Ok, it has been a while since I posted info about fuel economy. I have about 14K miles on the F550 - Thor Super C - Diesel coach and I get between 7 and 10 mpg depending on several factors. I left Texas, August 2015, for Black Rock City, 3 hours N of Reno, Nevada. I was towing an 8K lb trailer and still got 7-7.5 MPG, with all the strength to tow most anything one would want to tow. I was able to cross most mountain passes with ease and really like the integrated brake controller, since on a few down hill runs, I needed to slow down. Most trips here in Texas I don't have a trailer but sometimes tow my Jeep. I can't even feel the Jeep when towing it.
OTHER... I have had a few issues, but nothing serious. I discovered that the heat vent, in the bath room was NEVER connected, and since the coach was then est 2 years old, Thor refused to cover it. Also, I have been forced to tighten the roof ladder, several times.
HATCH - Do NOT overload the outside hatches, since they are plastic and not mounted very well, many of the hatches also leak, so keep your stuff elevated and not directly on the bottom of the hatch floor.
MUD FLAPS... I have had to re-mount, and make field changes to the mud flaps and the mounts since they often rub the tires and have been replaced twice. I used a stainless straps on the latest batch and this seems to be the best fix.
FRONT FUEL TANK... would NOT take fuel. It was in the shop twice and STILL not fixed, so, I fixed it myself by strapping the hose to the body, and replacing a metal hose with flexible fuel tank hose. So-far... no more problems. CK ENGINE LIGHT... I have had the F550 in the shop 2 times due to the check engine light being on. It seems to be to OX sensors, and they have been replaced but the light just came on again. It does not hurt anything but is just annoying.
SOLAR - I have added solar panels to aid the batteries during day-light hours and will replace the fridge with a higher efficiency one, later this month or year.
ALSO - OF MAJOR IMPORTANCE... I added an "after-market" alarm system with remote-start. It is important to remember that the coach is on a F550 chassis and Fords and Chevys - are stolen OFTEN. (Yes, I read the police reports for the Houston area) I like the fact that I can leave the engine running for up to one hour, and the key still be in my pocket and the front doors locked. Nice for days that it is damp outside and I want just a bit of air conditioning from the cab with the fan on high speed. Since I often have the engine running - I by-passed the awning lock-out feature to allow the awning to be extended while the engine is running.
HOME STYLE FRIDGE.... The Fridge came with a crappy pin to hold the door shut... it was difficult to use and sometimes did not work. I now use Velcro. I placed some directly on the fridge and freezer doors, about 18 inches long and then some on the side wall. I have a little short piece off to the far left so when I am not using the Velcro, I can store the tape outta the way and this makes it easy to find when ready. It is a snap to get into the fridge when stopped and easy to re-latch again too.
TV - I modified the TV sound to come through the dash radio. It sure makes movies more enjoyable since I can "really" hear them.
INVERTER - Yes, another mod. I located the plug for the rear TV and added a small accessible power strip. I then plugged the TV into the strip. This gives me a location to charge small items directly from the inverter, using 120V, and also allows me to disconnect the TV completely.
As with anything, you will have a few issues and I don't consider them major issues. I really like the torque with the F550 and 6.7L Diesel. I like the 2 tanks with 65 Gal of fuel. I would purchase this coach again, should I ever need or desire to replace it.

I have owned the coach for about 2.5 years now and do not consider the issues un-usual. ANYTIME you get something with this many things, engine, generator, TV, Fridge, inverter, you will have small issues... just keep the tools handy and repair as you can... I do! Jerry in Texas. MY COACH IS ALMOST ALWAYS READY TO GO ON A MOMENTS NOTICE.

Re: 2015 Thor Super C - Cheateau, F550 with 6.7L Diesel. UPDATE - f

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 15165
I have a Thor Super C - Fourwinds, F550 with 6.7L Diesel 33SW, and concur with all your updates as I have done the same. You mention "I like the fact that I can leave the engine running for up to one hour, and the key still be in my pocket and the front doors locked. Nice for days that it is damp outside and I want just a bit of air conditioning from the cab with the fan on high speed. Since I often have the engine running - I by-passed the awning lock-out feature to allow the awning to be extended while the engine is running." Was this because of the alarm system, that you are able to leave the engine running, and if so what kind was it? Don't know if you have the pantry that slides out (I think you do), but mine would open on the left turns, so I did as you did with the refrigerator and added a velcro strip to that - problem solved, never has come open again unexpectedly. Having problems with my sound on the TV as well, good idea, could you elaborate on that process a bit more? I do notice I get better mileage than you do, Even towing my Jeep (4200lbs) I get 8.5 mpg, never seen it under that yet. Had the same problem with the front fuel tank, I just twisted the hose a bit and took almost 1" out of the length, and been working sense. I also added the full length valve extenders to both tires in the rear, to make it easier to fill. I thought they should have been there already, but I pick my battles to fight with the dealer, and that was not one of them :) I just did it. I also added solar (600w) best thing I did, works fine with the existing refer.
And like you, I don't consider the issues un-usual. And...yes I would purchase this coach again if it came up.