Skip to main content
Topic: Onan diesel generator oil and filter change (Read 511 times) previous topic - next topic

Onan diesel generator oil and filter change

Yahoo Message Number: 2463
After reading about the grief others were having I was not sure I wanted to tackle this job. After a call to the local RV shop I decided maybe I`d give it a try. Turns out it took longer to get the oil in than it did to do everything else.I did however get a Donaldson filter from NAPA for six bucks as opposed to the $29.00 the local rv shop wanted for the cummins/onan one. For those who are thinking about attempting this task I posted an albumn called Diesel Onan Oil Change so you have an idea what you need to do. By the way the tools needed photo is missing a very important piece. If you use a flexible funnel you will need a foot and a half piece of hose on the end to get the oil into the oil fill tube which is rediculously awkward

Re: Onan diesel generator oil and filter change

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 2464
Have not done it, but after changing mine last week I am going to remove the hose at the engine and install removable clamp and pour oil in there which should take seconds vs trying with flexible hose at the top.

Keith
Sent from my BlackBerry® smartphone with SprintSpeed

Date: Thu, 09 Apr 2009 00:06:07 -0000
To:
Subject: [KodiakChassisClassC] Onan diesel generator oil and filter change

After reading about the grief others were having I was not sure I wanted to tackle this job. After a call to the local RV shop I decided maybe I`d give it a try. Turns out it took longer to get the oil in than it did to do everything else.I did however get a Donaldson filter from NAPA for six bucks as opposed to the $29.00 the local rv shop wanted for the cummins/onan one. For those who are thinking about attempting this task I posted an albumn called Diesel Onan Oil Change so you have an idea what you need to do. By the way the tools needed photo is missing a very important piece. If you use a flexible funnel you will need a foot and a half piece of hose on the end to get the oil into the oil fill tube which is rediculously awkward

Re: Onan diesel generator oil and filter change

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 2465
Funny you should mention that because thats what I ended up doing after spilling oil all over and looking at the fill hose that was exposed with the cover off. Much cleaner and faster.