Skip to main content
Topic: 32SS at home now - Ring and Pinion replaced as well as pinion bearin (Read 452 times) previous topic - next topic

32SS at home now - Ring and Pinion replaced as well as pinion bearin

Yahoo Message Number: 2528
We traveled to Nappanee on Thursday and picked up the Kodiak.

Also had an oil change and lube - $78. May go through Nappanee every year on the way back from Florida and have the service work done.

McCormick replaced the pinion bearings first as I mentioned last week to see if that would solve the problem. They agreed the whine was still very loud - it amplified through the drive shaft so we could hear it well up front. So a decision was made to replace the ring and pinion gears. They were ordered and arrived Tuesday. They were installed on Wednesday and the drive shaft was aligned.

We left Nappanee and soon were delighted with NO noise from the rear.

Unfortunately after 144 miles the NO NOISE status ended as we could again hear a whine from the back. DW feels it is much much less however and not of the type that could give her a headache after 5 or 6 hours of listening to it.

I guess we will just live with it and see if it gets louder.

Now the quiz question for this week.

HOW MUCH WAS THE BILL FOR THESE REPAIRS - WHICH WERE COVERED COMPLETELY UNDER WARRANTY?  (and I had no problems at customs on re-entering Canada and declaring what was done - no taxes applied).

The prize for the member who comes closest gets is that he or she gets to pick the discussion topic for the next week.

The prize for the second place finisher is the right to select the topic for the subequent two weeks.

Third place - for the subsequent three weeks.

So, there is a huge incentive to win this one. :)

Don

ps. Last 1.5 hours coming home were in darkness. Damn those headlights are atrocious. I had to use the high beams all thew way from I-80/90 near Toledo to home - and not ever ONE person flashed at me. If I did that with our Tahoe I'd be flashed to death. That really illustrates just how bad the lights are. When I turned off the high beams a couple of times to check visibility, in one instance we were in a section of I-75 south of Detroit where it was narrowed to one lane due to construction. I almost missed a bend in the road it was so dark. GM should really do a recall. I'm going to try and adjust both upwards considerably. ScanGauge on the way home said 7.3 MPG for the 225 miles. Not very good IMO.

Re: 32SS at home now - Ring and Pinion replaced as well as pinion be

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 2532
Don I would like to guess $6,375.00. On another note I installed a pair of Bosch halogen headlights on the lowbeam side they were the SBQ 46 model. 0 301 709 800 730 I believe is the part number. These were old stock items that Action Auto Parts had sitting on there shelf made a huge improvement. I was looking for a pair of bosch cee-bee z-beams as I had a set on a car in the seventies that did a good job of lighting things up without blinding oncoming traffic but could not find them and settled on these.I am not sure if bosch even makes headlights anymore but if you can find a set I think they are worth the money. They are very similar to the Hella lights and you can always get bigger wattage bulbs.