Skip to main content
Topic: Glow plugs (Read 480 times) previous topic - next topic

Glow plugs

Yahoo Message Number: 6948
Reference a 5.5 diesel gen, what are the symptoms of inop glow plugs? Mine starts but slowly comes up to speed and makes allot of smoke for a couple of minutes. Comments?
Denny

Re: Glow plugs

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 6949
My glow plugs were not working when I pulled the genny. Hard start really was the only symptom. Wouldn't start at all under 32 degrees F. Smoking could be a symptom of loose valve lash based on my research before I pulled my genny but I'm not a diesel guy so I don't know if that's accurate or not. I assume you have a the same E482 Kubota I do and if so, the cross reference for the glow plugs is in the file section. I paid $20 each for mine at O'Rielly. Mine were just a bit swollen (they come out tight) which can occur when the genny is jump started so I replaced them while the genny was out. On mine, the problem was the glow plug relay. Found one on Ebay for $4. The genny manual with the test for the relay is also in the file section.
Greg
MN

From: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Dennis Bradford
Sent: Tuesday, May 03, 2011 6:23 PM
To: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [KodiakChassisClassC] Glow plugs

Reference a 5.5 diesel gen, what are the symptoms of inop glow plugs? Mine starts but slowly comes up to speed and makes allot of smoke for a couple of minutes. Comments?
Denny

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 6952
Maybe. There is a top access panel and with the front off, you may be able to pull the glow plugs. You should be able to see them with the front access panel off. The sending wire (looks like a ground strap) that links the two plugs needs to be removed (8mm nuts as I remember on the top of the glow plug and then they come straight up and out just like a spark plug would. The relay on mine is mounted on the airbox on the left hand side of the genny and is accessible through the side access panel - if you can get to that.
Greg
MN

From: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Dennis Bradford
Sent: Tuesday, May 03, 2011 7:55 PM
Subject: Re: [KodiakChassisClassC] Glow plugs

Greg:

Is it possible to replace the plugs and relay without pulling the genny?

Denny

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 6953

On Mercedes we used a ream with a little grease on it to cut the carbon out and give the glow plugs clearance. The grease would collect the carbon. You might talk with the dealer and see if they sell a ream for that application. The glow plugs would work better and last longer.

Dan

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 6954
The slow increase in RPM may be a sign of a bad glow plug. But smoke at start is a common complaint for a QD 5500. Seems to be normal. Have you changed fuel and air filter?
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 6971
Just replaced the fuel and oil filter. The air filter was changed not more than 25 hours ago. I'm going to replace it again tomorrow. Also found that the water pump belt was cracking so will change that out tomorrrow as well. I will use the Onan belt as recommended. I do see some slight cracking in the oil filler tube so will ask about that when I pick up the belt. I see that I can reach the glow plugs so will test for voltage when I get it back together and able to run the unit. If no voltage I will replace the relay. Should be good for another 150 hrs.
Denny

2006 Seneca 35GS Dmax. Ford Ranger toad.

Sent: Wednesday, May 4, 2011 3:20 AM
Subject: [KodiakChassisClassC] Re: Glow plugs

The slow increase in RPM may be a sign of a bad glow plug. But smoke at start is a common complaint for a QD 5500. Seems to be normal. Have you changed fuel and air filter?
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 6983
Tested the glow plug relay and found it to be good. I had good voltage to the plugs. We'll see how she starts up after the new belt is installed.
Denny

To: "KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com"
Sent: Thursday, May 5, 2011 7:47 PM
Subject: Re: [KodiakChassisClassC] Re: Glow plugs

Just replaced the fuel and oil filter. The air filter was changed not more than 25 hours ago. I'm going to replace it again tomorrow. Also found that the water pump belt was cracking so will change that out tomorrrow as well. I will use the Onan belt as recommended. I do see some slight cracking in the oil filler tube so will ask about that when I pick up the belt. I see that I can reach the glow plugs so will test for voltage when I get it back together and able to run the unit. If no voltage I will replace the relay. Should be good for another 150 hrs.
Denny

Sent: Wednesday, May 4, 2011 3:20 AM
Subject: [KodiakChassisClassC] Re: Glow plugs

Best
Ron Hall

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 7000
All back together. Starts and runs fine. Still smokes on start but clears up in about a minute and a half. Belt was easy.
Denny