Skip to main content
Topic: Front end alignment from Diesel Place (Read 510 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Front end alignment from Diesel Place

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 7490
Thanks for posting this Ron. I have been giving a lot of thought to how to get the last little bit of ill handling out of my 2007 Seneca ZX. Since purchasing one year ago I have added front track bar, front sway bar, koni shocks, and Firestone air bags. Each of the mods made positive differences to the ride and handling. But after just returning from a 3,500 mile trip out west, I knew that I need to make it a little better yet. My MH is still a bit touchy on uneven pavement. It really does not feel like it needs a rear track bar, I personally do not feel that a steering stabilizer is going to fix the issue....but I could be wrong. I thought about tires, and have payed with air pressure from 85-105psi(other than harshness at higher pressure I could not feel much difference in handling). Have had my doubts that the front end was alinged exactly right, and was thinking about taking it to a Medium Duty Chevy Truck dealer in Detroit. But now you have given me something simple to try at no cost. Thanks.

It will be about a month before my next road trip, but I will make a point to post a follow up message to the group.

Frank Bock

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 7491
If the toe doesn't do it, try increasing the caster. Thats what finally solved my 05 GS's unstable steering problem. Caster was in spec, but I increased it 2 deg to see what would happen. Steering control improved 90%.

Charles

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 7492
If the alignment does not do the trick... I upgraded from the G rated tires on my Seneca to load level H (XZE Regionals) tires, and it made a huge difference. Enough so that I have not felt compelled to do any of the things I was once considering. I run about 105 up front and 110 in the back duals.

Not sure you may be there already.

K

Kevin (Real) McCoy [KF5FUZ / WQJE447]
("Roscoe Ventura" Jayco Seneca HD SS 34 Diesel 2006; "Toad" Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2007)

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 7493
Kevin

I'm curious, I have a 2008 36MS and my ride is very good my only challenge is on rough roads like the CA Highways. It sometime feels like a rough truck suspension. My goal is to smooth it out. I have Koni's and like you I have not had to do any other upgrades because the shocks did so much.

Have you upgraded your shocks and if so to what?

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 7494

My shop that has a Kodiak guru said castor wedges were the solution..i.e. Mor caster than the suspension can adjust to stock.

~
Victor Burns | KI6IM
2008 Kodiak Dutchmen Diesel 34H

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 7495
No - Honestly. I had the whole list, and stopped when the Tires made such an improvement. But my unit is pretty light compared to an MS and I even have the old springs before the upgrade to 19,000. The only thing that has stayed on the list, with a "someday" is air springs.

I doubt the tire suggestion would smooth things out, as it just toughens stuff up, as does running high on tire pressure. But it is great navigating on the slow / campgrounds, and the back roads that Sandy likes. It also has helped enormously on highway like when the lanes are narrow, or there is a road edge, that grabs the duals.

Kevin

("Roscoe Ventura" Jayco Seneca HD SS 34 Diesel 2006; "Toad" Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2007)

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 7496
Our 2008 came with the XZE "H" tires and has always handled well with the exception of the tail push with the Canyon in tow, so we fixed that with the Henderson trac bar. We did add the KONIS to help with the bumps but also started using the Michelin recommended pressures and that really helped. Think following the recommended pressures made the biggest difference.

With that said we are getting about a 1/4-3/8 inch of edge wear on the inside of the fronts and all the alignment guys say that is rotation. After talking to the tire guys (truck shop) they say its not worth the $200 to rotate (since it requires removing and remounting), just wait and buy two new fronts when the time comes. The cost of 1 tire is around $200 so I see their logic.

I have been extremely pleased including when we have side winds.

Dave Sparke

To: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
Cc: Tim Garver ; freegame450
Sent: Saturday, August 20, 2011 8:50 AM
Subject: Re: [KodiakChassisClassC] Re: Front end alignment from Diesel Place

No - Honestly. I had the whole list, and stopped when the Tires made such an improvement. But my unit is pretty light compared to an MS and I even have the old springs before the upgrade to 19,000. The only thing that has stayed on the list, with a "someday" is air springs.

I doubt the tire suggestion would smooth things out, as it just toughens stuff up, as does running high on tire pressure. But it is great navigating on the slow / campgrounds, and the back roads that Sandy likes. It also has helped enormously on highway like when the lanes are narrow, or there is a road edge, that grabs the duals.

Kevin