Skip to main content
Topic: Spin-On Control Main Filter (Read 1250 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Spin-On Control Main Filter

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 3659
NO NO it is on the transmission underneath

omKat wrote:

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 3660
Tom I'll back up this time I was thinking of the transmission filter that has to be changed at 5,000 miles what are you speaking of ???

TomKat wrote:

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 3661
The spin on control mail filter is the one on the bottom of the Allison transmission.

I think the Allison 1000 only has one filter. My Winnie and Ambassador DPs has the 3000MH that had two filters.

Don

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 3663
Tom,

It is the transmission oil filter underneath the engine, like an oil filter, it is suppose to be easy, although you may have to top off transmission fluid.
I had mine done at the same time I had the recall done.
thanks
Mo

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 3666
Make sure you get a Allison filter. Some of the aftermarket filters have a flat area where the magnet goes. This will off flow to the filter. Do not forget to move magnet to new filter if you are changing filter yourself.

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 3667
Tom,

I got a letter from Chevy, the recall was for to reprogram the emissions control. My chassis is 2008, I have a friend who has a 2007 and he did not get that, so it may be for 2008 and 2009 only.
After reprogram the idle only works for 15 min otherwise it shuts the engine down. I am not crazy about it, but it is ok.
It has to do with some California and federal regulations about emissions.
thanks
Mo

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 3677
Ok, I ordered the Allison transmission filter and it should be here shortly. My next question coming from a non-mechanical type of person....can I twist off the filter (with proper tools) and replace the old one (reusing the magnet), without having to drain the transmission oil? If so, how much will it drip? Just a little?

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 3678
Trans does not need to be drained to change filter. Should not be any oil drip. You may want to a piece of cardboard under filter to collect any drips. I use puppy training pads to collect any drips.
I worry more about tipping the filter and spilling some of the fluid. You may need to add a pint of oil to trans. All Kodiak's come with Transynd. Expensive but works very well. Need to get this fluid from a Allison dealer.

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 3679

Ok, I ordered the Allison transmission filter and it should be here shortly. My next question coming from a non-mechanical type of person....can I twist off the filter (with proper tools) and replace the old one (reusing the magnet), without having to drain the transmission oil? If so, how much will it drip? Just a little?

Mine just dripped a little, not enough to make a difference in the reservoir. It came off using a small filter wrench I had and the process is just like any other oil filter. Don't forget the magnet though.

Take care,
Greg

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 3680
Not all Kodiak's use Transynd. I have a '06 Seneca and it uses Dextron 6. You MUST NOT mix the two. Verify transmission fluid type before you add. Only the later model Kodiak's use transynd.

To: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Mon, February 15, 2010 1:30:12 PM
Subject: [KodiakChassisClassC] Re: Spin-On Control Main Filter

Trans does not need to be drained to change filter. Should not be any oil drip. You may want to a piece of cardboard under filter to collect any drips. I use puppy training pads to collect any drips.
I worry more about tipping the filter and spilling some of the fluid. You may need to add a pint of oil to trans. All Kodiak's come with Transynd. Expensive but works very well. Need to get this fluid from a Allison dealer.

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 3681
It's my understanding that all Kodiak's got Transynd starting in 2005. All the 2004 D/A Kodiak's from GS were ordered with Transynd. Pickups got Dextron 6 in 2006, but not Kodiak's. If you are in doubt about what is in yours look at the RPO code sheet above driver side visor. Build code for Transynd is MBT.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 3682
WOW. Given how hard Allison was pushing TranSynd by 2006 I'm really surprised GM (which, of course, owned Allison at that time) didn't use it.

From what I read here (http://lubricants.petro-canada.ca/en/products/618.aspx) it was not intended for Allison transmissions. BUT, it seems to have been used for Allison transmissions in vehicles delivered by GM.

http://www.sandyblogs.com/techlink/2009/05/dexron-vi.html

Would be worth getting clarification that you have Dexron 6 (no T in it).

This would seem to say you have - a lot of info here from Diesel Place. http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=318081

http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=318081You have (thankfully) opened a hornets nest here as the discussion on this topic on the net is very extensive.

I'm not feeling very uncomfortable. I'm going to have to go through my warranty material. Allison Transmissions with TranSynd are warrantied for more than 2 years. If I didn't get an Allison warranty (oy, to think of what I went through with my two DPs on this issue) then my warranty is long gone.

I gather there is no problem mixing TranSynd and Dexron III or VI, it is just that Allison requires TranSynd for the extended warranty. If we don't have the warranty, it doesn't matter much I guess.

Don

Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 3683
My 2007 has MBT. Went out and disturbed DW's sister and her husband who are visiting us, then remembered I got the Build Sheet from the fellow on Diesel Place and all I had to do was look at it.

Don

Reply #17
Yahoo Message Number: 3685
I fill the new filter before I spin it back on. Very little loss that way. My 06 Kodiak came with Transynd.
Denny

Sent: Mon, February 15, 2010 2:31:14 PM
Subject: RE: [KodiakChassisClassC] Re: Spin-On Control Main Filter

Reply #19
Yahoo Message Number: 3688
A big Thank You to Ron Hall for correcting me on Transynd in my Allison. My Allison manual was not clear on the type of transmission fluid in my tranny and upon pulling the dipstick, it had the following etched on the dipstick.
Dexron III-Fluid Only ----- Do Not Overfill
After reading this I thought the tranny had Dexron, since it was on the dipstick. Dexron III is no longer available and has been updated by Dexron 6. I thus changed using Dexron 6. I have now mixed the two fluids although the service was done 18 months ago and I have 10K miles on the RV since then. My Kodiak does have a MBT code.
Today I went to the Greater Los Angeles Allison Service Center and talked to the Allison Trans. Service manager. Although I have mixed the two fluids he stated that I was still all right. He suggested at 50K miles to change, using Transynd and again at 80K miles. The vehicle runs and shifts perfectly. I apologize for any bad information. Thanks again ...Ron Hall.

Sent: Mon, February 15, 2010 2:41:42 PM
Subject: [KodiakChassisClassC] Re: Spin-On Control Main Filter

It's my understanding that all Kodiak's got Transynd starting in 2005. All the 2004 D/A Kodiak's from GS were ordered with Transynd. Pickups got Dextron 6 in 2006, but not Kodiak's. If you are in doubt about what is in yours look at the RPO code sheet above driver side visor. Build code for Transynd is MBT.
Best
Ron Hall
Not all Kodiak's use Transynd. I have a '06 Seneca and it uses Dextron 6. You MUST NOT mix the two. Verify transmission fluid type before you add. Only the later model Kodiak's use transynd.

_____ __ __ __
To:
Sent: Mon, February 15, 2010 1:30:12 PM
Subject: [KodiakChassisClass C] Re:
Spin-On Control Main Filter