Skip to main content
Topic: Hello to all from a new member (Read 655 times) previous topic - next topic

Hello to all from a new member

Yahoo Message Number: 10881
Hello everyone. I'm new to the forum. Betty and I have recently traded in our Class A Itasca Sunflyer in for a '08 Seneca ZX. The new rig should meet our needs much better in that we'll have room to travel with our dogs (two mastiffs and a bulldog) and bring the motorcycle as well.

I was pretty impressed with the handling and power of the C5500 with the Duramax on our return drive from California to Oregon. It's much more stable on the road than our old motorhome. I not too impressed with visability at night though. Low beam headlights seem pretty dim.

I've seen some great information posted here, and hope to learn much more about the platform. Our rig was a repo that came with very little documentation. I've been able to dig some stuff up on the net, but even the owners manual from Jayco seems pretty lacking.

There a few things I've found that need some attention, so I'm hoping to learn from you all's experience. Hopefully I'll be able share some insight as well.

- Bob

Re: Hello to all from a new member

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 10882
Welcome Bob. There is a wealth of information here on all super Cs and in particular the Jaycos. Get a signature into your post so we can see what you have in the way of mods and such. Hope we can be of help.
Denny

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 10883
I've been for a long time and just noticed that we have no SIG capability. Sorry.
Denny

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 10884
Thanks for the welcome Denny. I was just going to ask how to set up a sig too.

I'm not too familiar with what the stock set up should be, so Im not sure what mods it has, but it doesn't look like there was too much spent on upgrades, or maintenace by the previous owner. It does have stabilizers front and rear, but they look stock.

I did rewire the rear camera. It was set to only come on when the vehicle is in reverse. I disconnected the trigger inputs. Now it toggles with the power button.

My next project is to replace the skylight above the shower, as it has a couple good sized cracks.

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 10885
Welcome to this "crazy" group. :)

Three things to do with the headlights, heavier guage ground wire, Silverstar bulbs and align them.

Makes a world of difference.

Sent from Samsung tablet

vofar  wrote:

Hello everyone. I'm new to the forum. Betty and I have recently traded in our Class A Itasca Sunflyer in for a '08 Seneca ZX. The new rig should meet our needs much better in that we'll have room to travel with our dogs (two mastiffs and a bulldog) and bring the motorcycle as well.

I was pretty impressed with the handling and power of the C5500 with the Duramax on our return drive from California to Oregon. It's much more stable on the road than our old motorhome. I not too impressed with visability at night though. Low beam headlights seem pretty dim.

I've seen some great information posted here, and hope to learn much more about the platform. Our rig was a repo that came with very little documentation. I've been able to dig some stuff up on the net, but even the owners manual from Jayco seems pretty lacking.

There a few things I've found that need some attention, so I'm hoping to learn from you all's experience. Hopefully I'll be able share some insight as well.

- Bob

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 10886
Thanks! :) That will be high on my to do list.

Anyone have any experience with tying in to the shower drain/vent line? I'm wanting to set up a drain for a washer/dryer combo in the front wall of the garage. I'm thinking with the shower on the other side, I should be able to tie in to the grey water drain somewhere.

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 10887
My experience with a Seneca gray tank is not good. On one of our members 35' Seneca we added digital sensors. The gray tank is located over the rear axle. Access to tank is threw rear axle fender well. It's not as bad as I make it out but harder to access than my Endura.
You should not need to get to tank. Just tap into shower drain line. Unless it's a long run just use a in line cheater Vent.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Oatey-1-1-2-in-ABS-PTC-In-Line-Cheater-Vent-39012/100204205
You may already have one on kitchen sink and bathroom vanity.
Do a search on this forum for "headlights". You will find a full write up I did on my headlights. Use a different location for grounds and it will work great. Doing what Dave suggested will work also. Some have added HID headlight with great success. But still needs wiring upgrades.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 10891
Hello Bob,

Welcome to the group. There is a tremendous amount of great information to be found here, and many very helpful members.

We purchased a 2007 Seneca ZX back in 2010. Joyce and I drove it from Oregon back to our home in SE Michigan. We love the versatility of our Seneca's garage area for hauling motorcycles and additional sleeping spots on the fold down bed/couches. MH also has plenty of power for flat towing our 2011 Chevy Equinox when we choose to.

I check the newsgroup several times per week, and may be able to help you with some particulars of the ZX model.

Look to see what shocks are on your Seneca. Our MH rode like a truck with the factory shocks. So I installed Koni shocks based on information learned on this group, and we now have a very nice, almost SUV like ride. I also had Firestone air bags put on the rear. They add a little plushness and adjustability for varying payload weight.

Wishing you the best of luck with your new rig.

Frank Bock

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 10895
Frank
I live in SE MI also. Always willing to help.
Best
Ron Hall