Skip to main content
Topic: Do I have to disconnect the battery everytime I park ? (Read 672 times) previous topic - next topic

Do I have to disconnect the battery everytime I park ?

Yahoo Message Number: 8386
I'm used to a 5th wheel so maybe I'm missing something with the class C's. I have a 06 G/S Conquest. Bought a new house battery and now it seems if I park for a week that battery is almost dead ?
No lights on that I see, only the LP detector. The 5th Wheel had one of those also and I could park it for months and still have battery power. Any ideas ?
thanks

Re: Do I have to disconnect the battery everytime I park ?

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 8388
Buy new batteries... If over a couple of years its going to be time. Have 2008 and jsut bought two new ones.
Sent on the Sprint® Now Network from my BlackBerry®

Sender: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2012 15:51:02 -0000
To:
ReplyTo: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [KodiakChassisClassC] Do I have to disconnect the battery everytime I park ?

I'm used to a 5th wheel so maybe I'm missing something with the class C's. I have a 06 G/S Conquest. Bought a new house battery and now it seems if I park for a week that battery is almost dead ?
 No lights on that I see, only the LP detector. The 5th Wheel had one of those also and I could park it for months and still have battery power. Any ideas ?
 thanks

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 8389
You only have one house battery? Is it a 6 volt or 12 volt. I ask because I have a '05 Conquest and it has two 12 volt batteries. Not sure what your draw down can be from, seems to me you sould be able to go a lot longer then a week with a new battery.

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 8390
Yes This is what I thought also. Yea there was only one battery in there when I got it. I see that the tray has enough room for 2. The new one is a gel cell so I don't have to top the water off every other day ( here in phx ). But I still thought even one new battery would last longer than that... must be something on that I'm not seeing.
Thanks

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 8391
If I did not have any power to my RV while stored. I would disconnect chassis and coach batteries.
Disconnect Chassis battery/ies by removing top wire from block under hood on passenger side.
Disconnect Coach battery/ies by removing negative grounding wire from post. This is only one way to make sure there is no drain on batteries.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 8392
If I did not have any power to my RV while stored. I would disconnect chassis and coach batteries.
Disconnect Chassis battery/ies by removing top wire from block under hood on passenger side.
Disconnect Coach battery/ies by removing negative grounding wire from post. This is only one way to make sure there is no drain on batteries.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 8393
Obviously I have a battery disconnect for the coach and I installed a battery disconnect for the cab too that's installed right under the passenger seat arra in the compartment so no one can see it when the lid is closed.

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 8394
You wouldn't just use the battery disconnect near the stairs ?
Just curious.
Thanks

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 8398
On a my Endura the converter and other items are wired to the battery side of switch. If it is malfunctioning it will discharge the batteries.
The Inverter is also wired on battery side of switch with it's own disconnect.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 8399
The batteries in my 05 GS Endura will discharge unless I do 2 things: turn off the master disconnect switch and trip the breaker to the converter. It is the one on the right (bank of 4) in the battery compartment on my vehicle. Much easier than disconnecting cables. Apparently, the converter has parasitic losses even when not in use.

Charles

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 8400
If he only has one house battery it has to be 12 volt. To my knowledge there are no six volt house systems. Of course, if there are two, they can be six's to make 12V.

Don

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 8402
Great news Don,
Are you talking about the breakers under the stove, near the floor ?
Is the converter a specific amp breaker ? just wondering how I will
know which switch....
Thanks again though you have given me a place to start.

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 8403
The converter draws power all the time if it wired directly so that makes sense.

I always hit my master switch master 12V switch when I park it for extended periods.

Put am amp first / milliamp second if needed to see the resting power draw.

Simple enough to see what it pulling how much power.

To: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Thursday, January 26, 2012 6:07 PM
Subject: Re: [KodiakChassisClassC] Do I have to disconnect the battery everytime I park ?

The batteries in my 05 GS Endura will discharge unless I do 2 things: turn off the master disconnect switch and trip the breaker to the converter. It is the one on the right (bank of 4) in the battery compartment on my vehicle. Much easier than disconnecting cables. Apparently, the converter has parasitic losses even when not in use.

Charles