Skip to main content
Topic: Stinky Smell (Read 783 times) previous topic - next topic

Stinky Smell

Yahoo Message Number: 12465
Is there a toilet seal that is replaceable? I had grey water air trap (Stouder Valve) go bad under the kitchen sink - EX to fix and a $2.79 part a the plumer supply house.

My toilet must be my culprit now - I know the seal does not hold water which means "poo gas" can likely get back out of the normally close system? Is there some other breather line? Is that seal easy to replace? Is there maybe a seal at the base of the toilet that might have worn out and is leaking the sewer gas from the black tank?

Four 90 degree days in the desert and it was pretty smelly on the way home - but never a hint of bad odor while we were out all all weekend.

Be well,

~
Victor - KI6IM
Kodiak Diesel Dutchmen 34H Bunkhouse

Re: Stinky Smell

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 12467
You can replace the toilet seal if need be. First try putting vasoline jelly on seal, sounds weird but worked for me, no problems since.

Gary

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 12471
Another remedy that sometimes works is to use a scrubby and Limeaway or vinegar to scrub the ball seal and ring. Be sure to put toilet in flush mode (without water on) so you can remove lime buildup beyond the area you can when see in the closed position.

George

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 12475
that seal is fairly simple to replace, you just have to seperate the bowl from the base. it took about an hour and was only about a 1 on my cuss-o-meter based on the confined space. make sure you clean all around the toilet before starting as you will be working very closely with it.

mark

2006 seneca 34ss
--

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 12479

Good tip. Gonna clean the valve, order a replacement just in case.
Victor Burns
KI6IM
Kodiak Diesel Dutchmen

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 12514
Well here is the solution. Just purchase a new toilet in my case a Thetford tall nice porcelain one - its actually cheaper than sorting out the problem. Here is why?

1. The ball seal is only about $10 plus the base seal replacement.
2. Labor is about $180 or you can DIY if you want to spend a couple hours up close and personal with the toilet.
3. There are other parts that might be the problem too like the Vacuum breaker on the back of the toilet which also should be replaced as odor can come out that way too.
4. A brand new toilet is only $180 plus $39 install at CW
5. If you put in a new toilet you get new seals all around, new ball which may be worn out too, new vacuum breaker, new flush valve, new toilet seat etc. etc. etc.

The reality is if you are really going to try and fix it you should replace the seals, vacuum breaker and maybe the flush valve ($15+15+39+45) anyway and spend a lot of time (probably two hours goofing around with it. I would do that just for kicks IF I had the time and I just didn't have surgery on both arms.

I just threw in the towel and had CW install a new toilet - DONE! While I hate the just toss the carcass of an otherwise perfectly good toilet I just cannot justify messing with it.

Be well,

~
Victor - KI6IM

On Wednesday, February 19, 2014 11:07 AM, "vburns1@..."  wrote:

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 12515
When winterizing in the fall of 2012 we forgot to hold the toilet flush down when blowing out the lines and the water left in that small segment froze and we have to change the parts or put in a new toilet. Just try to get the right parts - yuk. I decided that I'm going to spend less than 200 bucks and put in a new Thetford (same model) and not waste any more time. Easy to install as I removed it (well, had my son remove it) so I could take it to a couple of RV dealers as I searched for parts.

We used it "broken" last summer by capping the incoming water line and to put water in when using just reached for the shower hose. Worked well. But I'm going to buy a replacement in May.

Don

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 12516
The new valve is $15 2 screws and a hose clamp

Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE DROID

Don Leslie  wrote:

When winterizing in the fall of 2012 we forgot to hold the toilet flush down when blowing out the lines and the water left in that small segment froze and we have to change the parts or put in a new toilet. Just try to get the right parts - yuk. I decided that I'm going to spend less than 200 bucks and put in a new Thetford (same model) and not waste any more time. Easy to install as I removed it (well, had my son remove it) so I could take it to a couple of RV dealers as I searched for parts.

We used it "broken" last summer by capping the incoming water line and to put water in when using just reached for the shower hose. Worked well. But I'm going to buy a replacement in May.

Don

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 12517
The problem we found was getting one and it wasn't clear just how much was damaged. The replacement will not have the separate hose since we don't need it with the shower hose right beside it.

Don

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 12539
New toilet is installed for less than repair and update of the one that came in my 2008 coach. New everything awaiting use now.

Crazy and wasteful to have to do this - but that is the way life is today.

Be well,

~
Victor - KI6IM

On Friday, February 21, 2014 3:39 PM, Don Leslie  wrote: