Skip to main content
Topic: News Item - Workhorse re-entering Class A chassis market (Read 703 times) previous topic - next topic

News Item - Workhorse re-entering Class A chassis market

Yahoo Message Number: 14511
Just received this notice. I wonder whose engine WH will be using. 8.8L doesn't sound familiar to me. Maybe a Dodge V10 bored out a bit?

Any guesses? Hard to visualize them matching a diesel of the same displacement.

Don

Re: News Item - Workhorse re-entering Class A chassis market [1 Atta

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 14512
It might be PSI as they have both a 6.0 and 8.8. Given they say PSI/GM I think the 6.0 is a GM engine. I wonder if the 8.8 is the 8.1 Vortec modified to 8.8L?

http://www.rainiertruckandchassis.com/why-rainier-trucks.php

I've seen a "rumor" that GM may be getting back into the medium duty truck lines and perhaps they too will use this 8.8L engine. Could mean more Super C's on the market.

Don

Re: News Item - Workhorse re-entering Class A chassis market

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 14513
Hmmm. I must have been hibernating in a cave in the mountains for a few years. The 8.8L engine is 8.1 Vortec based but apparently had to be redesigned to meet enviromental rules.

It appeared in 2011 from what I can find on the web and Spartan announced a chassis with the engine in 2012. Makes me wonder why it hasn't been picked up for a SuperC.

With WH using it I would hope it will light a fire under Ford to make improvements in the F53 Class A chassis and old V10 it produces.

http://www.spartanchassis.com/info/press/11272012b.asp

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 14514
competition would be great indeed.

but too late now, already bought my last MH.

interesting times.
mo

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 14515
Super C's need a chassis. With international and Freightliner making chassiss that work for Super C's. Not much of a market.
As a side note Gas is selling here for $2.72 and Diesel is $2.75. I will take the diesel.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 14516
Rumor is JAYCO is bumping the tow capacity on the E-450 Greyhawks to 7,500. I'll keep you posted if it happens.

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 14517
In theory that is what it is now for that chassis. Mine is a 2011 and GCWR is 22,000 and GVWR is 14,500 (the 22,000 was an "improvement" for 2011). The hitch is rated at 5,000. In theory all they have to do is put on the same receiver they used for the Kodiak. But, I wonder how that works because Ford sets the specs and when Jayco gets the cutaway from Ford it then usually increase the wheelbase and extends the frame rails for all but the smallest units. If Ford's ratings are pre-extensions, I wonder if that rating holds at 7,500 given the work they have MorRyde do on the frame rails. Jayco would have to meet the upfitters specs as to the welds and bolts and any driveshaft extensions. My Greyhawk on Kodiak has three drive shaft sections but the chassis was delivered with two and then the third was necessary when they extended the wheelbase. The frame rails were also extended.

Don

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 14519

I cannot imagine.

~

Victor Burns
KI6IM
Embark TB390 Bunkhouse

Date:Wed, May 20, 2015 at 1:53 PM
Subject:Re: [SuperCrvgroup] News Item - Workhorse re-entering Class A chassis market

Rumor is JAYCO is bumping the tow capacity on the E-450 Greyhawks to 7,500. I'll keep you posted if it happens.