Skip to main content
Topic: Myhre/Four Winds (Read 609 times) previous topic - next topic

Myhre/Four Winds

Yahoo Message Number: 1159

Just a brief update on status with Four Winds concerning my Dutchmen model 33K... they picked up the RV a few weeks ago and drove it to Indiana for warranty repairs. A couple days ago I received a call that the warranty work was completed and they wanted Audrey and I to fly to Elkhart, Indiana to inspect the coach.

Since I am not as concerned with the poor workmanship as I am with what I consider to be safety issues, I indicated that I would be trading it on a new class A, and it would be a waste of their dollars to fly us up and back... of course, I would continue with my advocacy issues with Four winds as well as other builders as well.

Anyway, I have had limited communication with Thor on these issues, but I have been requested to furnish my documentation of their non-compliance with the GM Upfitters Guide. Interestingly, I discovered another issue that many builders are in non-compliance... mounting seating positions and seat belts to the floor. They are not to attach any seat position or seat belt thru carpeting since the bolts are torqued and the carpet provides a cushion and the bolts can loosen. Are the bolts attached thru carpeting on your coaches? It appears to me this could prompt a recall if I can find the federal ruling on this.

Denny

Get trade secrets for amazing burgers. Watch "Cooking with Tyler Florence" on AOL Food.

Re: Myhre/Four Winds

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 1160
Denny, does this apply to the pilot and copilot seats or even the belts for the sofa seats and booth dinette seats? Our carpets can be pulled out in a minute as they are not anchored down at all.

What make and model Class A are you getting?

Don

On 7-Jun-08, at 9:26 PM,

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 1161

No carpet under the seats on my Four Winds, but there is a floor liner made of a sound blocker type of material.....I believe it is the stock floor liner.

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 1163

Don,

I am still researching, and it appears the FMVSS 201 ruling applies only to vehicles under 10,000 GVWR. Other rulings appear to apply only to "forward" facing seat positions... gets kinda complicated for my 64 y/o brain...

We found a 2008 Newmar Canyon Star 34 ft on a workhorse chassis, 22.5 wheels with Allison transmission...has 2 inch thick walls, a four season coach, and ironically for about the same $$$ as my four winds... side to side weight distribution is within 1% difference, but the right front and left rear corners are heavier than their counterparts by 500 lbs... not sure how that works, but it has 4000 lb CCC and lots of storage so I can load the opposing corners to balance the load.

Denny

Get trade secrets for amazing burgers. Watch "Cooking with Tyler Florence" on AOL Food.

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 1164
Interesting. One of the fellows on the A forum got a new Dutch Star a few years ago and the front right corner was overweight with no copilot and nothing in the freezer that was in the first compartment in the basement. Newmar ended up having to replace the 12000 GAWR front end with a 14,000. Only way the problem could be fixed.

I think the Newmar coaches are "of the best" of a bad lot.

Don

On 7-Jun-08, at 9:59 PM,

Myhre/Four Winds

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 1167
Sorry to hear about the challenges with Four Winds, and Thor. In my
search for a Class A, I first discounted Four Winds because of all
the issues about quality. I have also eliminated Jayco for similar
inconsistent customer service, safety and quality issues. The Kodiak
chassis has many issues also, and perhaps thats why GM, with all its
trubles, have sold the medium truck operation. That will present
even more challenges to warranty issues.

You say you are going to a Class A. I had one (Winnebago Vectra) but
the first time I saw the results of a head on collison with a CLass A
(Monaco top of the line) I wholesaled that sucker right away. Speak
about unsafe!

Now the only way I'll RV is in a Dynamax. A real truck with a "home
box"! Safe. Just as expensive, comfortable, and economical as a
high dollar Class A.