Skip to main content
Topic: TV fell out of bedroom cabibet (Read 574 times) previous topic - next topic

TV fell out of bedroom cabibet

Yahoo Message Number: 1638

Audrey and I just had an un-nerving experience while I was driving thru central Wyoming this morning on I-80. The rear TV became loose and fell out of it's cabinet and unto our bed. It is only by the grace of God that one of us didn't get injured or killed!

A short time before it fell out, I was driving and was getting a little sleepy. Audrey was riding up front with me, working on a "Sudoku" puzzle. I asked her if she could drive so I could lay down for a short nap. Usually I will lay on the bed with my head on a pillow at the foot of the bed so I can look out the windshield until I doze off. Since the road was smooth and there were no turnoffs and she was enjoying her puzzle, I continued to drive. Later, when we pulled off for fuel, Audrey discovered the TV had fallen and landed where my head would have been!

I had wrongfully "assumed" that Four Winds had designed the mount so the TV could NOT fall out. What appeared to be a sturdy L-channel securing the TV to the top frame of the cabinet was simply a "piano hinge" that had been screwed into the TV with 2 screws. Another 2 screws secured the hinge to the top frame of the cabinet, and the base was "secured" be a piece of lauan held in place with 2 very small screws attached to the cabinet base. When the 2 screws holding the hinge to the cabinet worked loose, the hinge collapsed and the TV fell forward. The weight of the TV pulled loose the base screws, and the set came crashing down unto the bed.

After checking the front TV, it appears it is attached in the same manner. Obviously, if the front TV fell out of the cabinet, it would be disastrous for both front seat occupants!

I urge all Four Winds owners to check their TV sets and if there is any vibration or movement of the TV while driving, take measures to prevent it from falling out. I also plan to report this problem to NHTSA.

Denny

Re: TV fell out of bedroom cabibet

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 1640
Denny,

Fortunately for us, I had already removed the rear TV, we don't need
it, it saved some weight, and gave us some extra storage. I had also
removed the front TV and replaced it with an LCD TV. I installed it
using a bracket screwed through the wood cabinet and aluminum bracing.

The wood is certainly the biggest quality problem that I see on our
motorhome. It is obviously very cheap quality and does not hold screws
very well. And of course, the workers who put these together, strip a
lot of the screws anyhow.

Actually, the piece of paneling that is on the rear wall where the rear
TV was, just fell out one day.
And a metal piece that goes along the top where the slide out meets the
wall when extended also fell off. It was held on with double sided
sticky tape.

David

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 1641
Denny, can you take a photo of it so we can see what's going on and what to look for.
Thanks for the information and glad you passed on the nap !!!!

dsteinman2001 wrote:

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 1642

Thanks.... me too! I have posted an album with three photos in Yahoo....

Denny