Skip to main content
Topic: Suburban as toad? (Read 907 times) previous topic - next topic

Suburban as toad?

Yahoo Message Number: 4515
Hi All,
Thanks for the last input regarding mirror fixes.
I am considering towing a Chevy Suburban.
Appears doable, based on weight.
Coach Max 19,500
GCWR 26000
Suburban CW, empty, 5500
Assuming proper tow bar/brackets, braking & lighting is added to suburban, Any other thoughts?
Granted, I'm not particularly excited about being this close to GCWR,
but we have a large family.
Largest of minivans are still inadequate for seat count.
Thanks in advance,
Todd

Re: Suburban as toad?

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 4516

I tow a '09 Suburban as well, family of 6.......I just dont load it with gear and keep the fuel tank low for weight savings. My tow hitch is a class 5(10000#) and I have the Blackhawk 2(10000#) towbar. I use the US Gear unified towbrake system mounted on the front pax floorboard, tucked up as high under hte dash as I could get it.
I also tow a Honda CRV, and you can tell the Suburban is back there compared to the CRV, but I have towed the Suburban over 4000 miles now and have not noticed any handling problems or issues. The rig is easy to set up for towing compared to the CRV, just put the transfer case in neutral, and tow away. As for now I use aux lights, but am contemplating a diode setup.

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 4519
Forgot to cover:
Gas or Diesel?
Mine is gas.

This msg may post twice, 1st attempt did not go through about an hour ago.

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 4521
Todd, I two a 2007 Tahoe LTZ that weighs over 5600 lbs. No problem at all. I have a Jayco Greyhawk gasser on 19,500 lb chassis as well. Lots of room to spare even if you fill the MH to the 19,500 (which is hard to do).

Don

ps. For rear lights we used a Blue Ox light bar that I like a lot but which BO told me most people hate.

pps. BO said no cutting required to install baseplates. Ha, that was BS, they blew it.

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 4523
Yes, we know the Tahoe is behind us as well. We didn't when we towed it with a 41 ft DP with 960 ft lbs of torque. We find that when going over something like railway tracks we can feel the tug of the Tahoe.

Don

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 4525
Thanks Don, sounds like that's a level of toad tugging we could live with by a wide margin.
And thanks for the BO tips. Sounds like a "plus" for the light bar, a big "minus" for the BO "no-cutting BS" advice."
So, how much cutting for the baseplates?
No rush on this, but if I could trouble you for a picture of the install, I'd be in your debt.
Again, I'm at earliest 3 weeks out getting this set up--no rush for photo.

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 4526
The cutting may depend on your model and whether or not BO learned and made necessary changes. When we contacted them they said" just pull the fascia out over the plate." My son was amazed to hear that comment. He is an engineer and has front end parts on the Tahoe and knew that pulling it over would put extreme stress on the panel and it wouldn't take much to shatter it. We had to cut an inch or so out at the top of the opening for the tow hooks. One has to look close to see the cuts but it screwed up our installation process. The baseplates went on fine otherwise and appear to be very strong (and heavy security cable are provide to add a second level of protection if the bolts holding the baseplates to the frame rails ever come out - but they have Loctite on them). Very solid. I get under periodically to have a look and make sure everything appears fine.

Don

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 4528

Have you decided on a baseplate manufacturer for the Suburban? Mine is roadmaster. I do not recall any cutting, but some drilling. I did make an incision on the bumper skin for the break away mount to slip through for proper bolting, but this is a brake issue and has nothing to do with the baseplate.

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 4529
What year is your Suburban?

D

On 2010-05-20, at 6:25 PM,

Have you decided on a baseplate manufacturer for the Suburban? Mine is roadmaster. I do not recall any cutting, but some drilling. I did make an incision on the bumper skin for the break away mount to slip through for proper bolting, but this is a brake issue and has nothing to do with the baseplate.

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 4530
No decisions yet on any of the toad hardware.
Really like the unified towing system idea, though.
Open to all suggestions for hardware.
My situation: I am looking to get an 07-09 chevy suburban, trading in an 05 GMC yukon XL denali---the GMC has full time AWD, can't disconnect transmission or transfer case---can't fix with lube pump, based on what I seen.

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 4535
Forgot to cover:
Gas or Diesel?
Mine is gas.

From: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of rsri1@...
Sent: Thursday, May 20, 2010 8:31 AM
To: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [KodiakChassisClassC] Suburban as toad?

I tow a '09 Suburban as well, family of 6.......I just dont load it with gear and keep the fuel tank low for weight savings. My tow hitch is a class 5(10000#) and I have the Blackhawk 2(10000#) towbar. I use the US Gear unified towbrake system mounted on the front pax floorboard, tucked up as high under hte dash as I could get it.
I also tow a Honda CRV, and you can tell the Suburban is back there compared to the CRV, but I have towed the Suburban over 4000 miles now and have not noticed any handling problems or issues. The rig is easy to set up for towing compared to the CRV, just put the transfer case in neutral, and tow away. As for now I use aux lights, but am contemplating a diode setup.

In a message dated 5/20/2010 10:11:09 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, toddb@tjbconsulting .com writes:

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 4536
Thanks for the input and rig tips.

From: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of rsri1@...
Sent: Thursday, May 20, 2010 8:31 AM
Subject: Re: [KodiakChassisClassC] Suburban as toad?

In a message dated 5/20/2010 10:11:09 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, toddb@tjbconsulting .com writes:

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 4538
My guess is that by 2009 BO would have corrected the problem. They got caught out by doing theirs for the 2007 a bit early and did not pick up a front end change until we told them.

Don

ps. The last three messages were ALL in the darn spam bin and I had to go and approve and release them. Don't know what they did to their logic when they changed their system but it sure isn't working smoothly.

Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 4548
I would not be excited at all
to be at GCWR, but a modern Suburban should shake you
Off the road.

Sent: May 20, 2010 7:10 AM
Subject: [KodiakChassisClassC] Suburban as toad?

Hi All,
Thanks for the last input regarding mirror fixes.
I am considering towing a Chevy Suburban.
Appears doable, based on weight.
Coach Max 19,500
GCWR 26000
Suburban CW, empty, 5500
Assuming proper tow bar/brackets, braking & lighting is added to suburban, Any other thoughts?
Granted, I'm not particularly excited about being this close to GCWR,
but we have a large family.
Largest of minivans are still inadequate for seat count.
Thanks in advance,
Todd

|  | Reply via web post | http://groups.yahoo.com/group/KodiakChassisClassC/post;_ylc=X3oDMTJmdmdqdDIxBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzIwMzY3NDYyBGd

[The entire original message is not included]