Skip to main content
Topic: Pyrometer install (Read 674 times) previous topic - next topic

Pyrometer install

Yahoo Message Number: 5350
Does anyone have pictures of where to and how to drill the hole for the probe. I have looked and didnot see anyway to get a drill to the back of the exhaust . Thanks for any help

Re: Pyrometer install

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 5351
When my was done it was drilled with the engine on at the manifold. I apologize I have do have any pics now but within 1-2 hours I will have my rv and take a pic.

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 5354
I'll let Tim show you where to drill and as to the "how to" it is fairly easy. First...go slow, use oil on the bit and collect the metal shavings as you go (a chip of metal in your turbo can ruin your whole daday!!) The same with tapping. Go slow and back the tap out several times for cleaning. Easy does it and all will be well :-)

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 5355
I have to apologize for the delay, we loaded and took off early to our trip. I'm looking under the hood and what I thought was a yellow wire he ran to the manifold does not look like the area my technician explained to me when he installed it. I'll have more time this evening to get under there and look and take the pic.

Pyrometer

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 5453
OK, for you guys with Pyrometers, I need an education. I installed a Pyrometer pre-Turbo and I don't know what to expect as far as readings. I have a PPE Economy tuner and at stock setting, I get readings between 1000 and 1100 with cruise control set at 58 mpg and on level ground. When climbing, it goes to 1250-1300 pretty quickly. I did see over 1400 a couple of times. Then when I program to nLevel 1 (40HP, 90 torque) and then readings are almost identical to stock. On Level 2 (90HP, 160 torque) it gets to 1400 pretty quickly, but on level ground, it seems to run cooler - 900 to 1000. What should I expect?

Bob Barbee
2008 Seneca 34SS (LMM engine)
towing 2006 Colorado 4X4 Crew

Re: Pyrometer

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 5454
Bob,

Very common with this tuner that is why tune 2 is the probably the best bang for the tune. Keep in mind on my vehicle I was at 975 on flat land in cruise about 60. When climbing quickly kick it out if overdrive and make sure you have a higher RPM like 2500-3000. Then if you need to go down then knock it down to 3rd.

In regards to egt's, anywhere up to 1375 is okay and once you get to 1400 you need to feather the pedal and get it down a little. I've hit a lot of hills but the tougher ones when I'm towing I have had to drop down gears and normally never below 3rd gear.

I hope this helps.

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 5459
Bob,

I forgot to mention that when climbing that by kicking it out of overdrive and downshifting when needed will lower egt's. If you keep it in overdrive the egt's will climb very fast when going up the hill.

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 5461
Quote from: Tim Garver

Thanks, Tim. That info should be very helpful. I am in Yreka heading south so I will get a chance to check it today. I am setting on Level 2.

Bob Barbee
2008 Seneca 34SS
2006 Colorado 4X4 Crewcab

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 5483
Thats what I see on my EGT (autometer gauge), climbing hills and long grades up to 1450. When researching I did read, a chevy tech article 1100 was the max that was in 2004 no further information was ever found.
Installed mine in 2007 had same worries around the same numbers. BUT many miles latter climbing mountains around USA, 1400 is common. Always on decent let it cool generally to 1100. I have No adverse reactions to report.

Mike Swann
2006 GS Endura/Duramax LLY
2008 Jeep Unlimited

To: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Wed, September 15, 2010 5:43:00 PM
Subject: [KodiakChassisClassC] Pyrometer

OK, for you guys with Pyrometers, I need an education. I installed a Pyrometer pre-Turbo and I don't know what to expect as far as readings. I have a PPE Economy tuner and at stock setting, I get readings between 1000 and 1100 with cruise control set at 58 mpg and on level ground. When climbing, it goes to 1250-1300 pretty quickly. I did see over 1400 a couple of times. Then when I program to nLevel 1 (40HP, 90 torque) and then readings are almost identical to stock. On Level 2 (90HP, 160 torque) it gets to 1400 pretty quickly, but on level ground, it seems to run cooler - 900 to 1000. What should I expect?

Bob Barbee
2008 Seneca 34SS (LMM engine)
towing 2006 Colorado 4X4 Crew

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 5484
, Michael Swann  wrote:
Thats what I see on my EGT (autometer gauge),

My gauge is also a autometer (probe and digital gauge). I installed the probe pre-turbo and I have read that installing pre-turbo or post-turbo will make a big difference in the temps. Think I have read it can be around 200 degrees.

I am a little confused though. If I have an exhaust temp on 1400 for just a few seconds, how long does it take to heat up the metal(manifold) to that temp. By the time it could heat up, its cooling off significantly. I have seen temps range for 1430 to 650 in a matter of seconds. What does that do?

I sure would like to see some official documents from GM on what is acceptable and what is not.

Bob