Skip to main content
Topic: New "toad" and question (Read 512 times) previous topic - next topic

New "toad" and question

Yahoo Message Number: 6404
All,

We got a new (used) toad finally, it is a Jeep Liberty 2004, the guy was selling everything, Jeep, bar, wires, set up, all I had to do is hook up and go, could not pass that one.
Great little car and so far so good.

Set up is not that bad, I need to pay attention to few things of course but not not complicated, I am sure with time I will have that down.

One silly question though:

I put the key on unlock (one before the accessory) which unlocks the steering wheel, now, that is to make sure the steering wheel is loose and the front wheels can turn, there is my question, we all know what happens when the engine is not running, the steering wheel does not work, it is practically impossible to turn the wheel, now if that is what happens what is the point of doing that other than making sure the lock is not going to break.
Do the wheels really turn?
The Jeep tracks beautifully behind the MH.

as always thank you all for helping
Mo

Re: New "toad" and question

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 6405
Actually, the wheels turn just fine. You will need to put your transfer case in neutral too.

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 6406
Thanks George,

Yes transfer case in neutral and transmission in park.

Wow, did not realize wheels would turn, well good to know.
thanks again
Mo

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 6407
Mo, when we were towing a Tahoe (until Sept 2010) it was the same process - transfer case in neutral, transmission in Park, ignition off and key OUT. You might want to check the manual and determine if you can do the same thing. Something nice about not leaving the key in the ignition (as we have to do now with our 2011 Escape).

Don

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 6414
Don,

Unfortunately I also have to leave the key in, I was told that 02 and 03 you could take the key out but apparently that is not possible on the 04 and on.
However, fortunately, the key is a simple one, meaning, no electronics or dealer programming or anything so for couple of bucks I got a third key made at the hardware store and will leave that one in the MH just in case.

thanks
Mo