Skip to main content
Topic: 5500 quiet deisel doesnt crank (Read 836 times) previous topic - next topic

5500 quiet deisel doesnt crank

Yahoo Message Number: 14759
Have a Onan with Kabota power that wont crank over whem you push the top of button. I push bottom of button and it will prime it self. Good power to genset itself. Tried another working control module in it and still nothing. My module started other gen. Any thoughts?

Re: 5500 quiet deisel doesnt crank

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 14760
Have you verified the electrical connections are clean and good conductivity? It may pass sufficient current for the elec fuel pump, but not to crank the starter. The switch could also be acting up, you might be able to get tot he switch connections and manually short them to verify if that enables it to crank the starter.

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 14761
There is a copy of the QD5500 manual in the Files section of this forum.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 14763
It has two starter switches. Neither works. Unplug inside switch and tried one on unit . Nothing. 12 volt supply cables are easy to get to. Put battery charger on them and nothing. When I get home I will clean the connectors and give that a try. Thanks

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 14765
Try using jumper cables off of another car to the genset. I had this problem and found the cables had corroded internally. Had new cables made at the auto parts and all has been good.

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 14766
Went home at lunch F1 fuse at starter good. Cleaned both inside and outside battery cables ends. still nothing. Will try the jump start method tonite. Very good idea. See this a lot on Ford cars and trucks

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 14767
Jumped from running truck. Still nothing grrrrrrrrrr

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 14768
On the gen set next to the start/prime switch are two levered circuit breakers. Turn them off and then back on. The gen will not start if one or both are tripped.
I posted that before but must have been lost in space.

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 14769
Found it!!!!!!!!!!!! wire to switch on unit was broke internally. wiggling wires while trying to crank. Thanks everybody. Time for a bath!

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 14770
Mine will start and run with the breaker off, hard that problem after a "professional" oil change

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 14771
I had that experience with an Onan 8000 in our second DP. It would run BUT no power to the coach. Reason - the guys at a Cummins shop (they own Onan) had switched the breakers off when they were servicing it. We were leaving for Florida for the winter and I was very upset. Jumped on the web and signed on to the Monaco Coach Yahoo group and someone replied promptly telling me to turn on the breakers. Problem solved.

Don