Skip to main content
Topic: Another coolant recovery expansion container leak (Read 404 times) previous topic - next topic

Another coolant recovery expansion container leak

Yahoo Message Number: 10327
We were in Marco Island Florida for the past month. During our stay I found a pool of anti freeze under our RV generator. On inspection I found the coolant recovery expansion container leaking at the connection where the return hose leaves the recovery tank an goes to the radiator. I purchased a new recovery tank and three hose clamps from Onan and replaced the tank my self. I contacted Jeffery Lawler at the Corp office at Onan who was a great help getting me a refund check sent to me for the tank replacement.
Below is my email to Jeffery:

Dear Jeffery Lawler
I have a 2008 Jayco Seneca 36 MS built on a Chevy Kodiak 5500 Chassis I purchased new. I am a member of the Yahoo Kodiak web site for RV owners with motorhomes built on the Chevy Kodiak 5500 diesel Chassis. MANY of our groups members are reporting coolant leaks in the coolant recovery expansion container at the point the return hose comes out of the container. The new replacement updated coolant expansion tank has rubber grommet that surrounds the connection preventing leaking The original tank has the fitting only threaded into the plastic container This was a VERY POOR design and should have been recalled. It's a wonder owners haven't had their diesel generators destroyed from a lack of coolant because of this very poor design! I feel you should reimburse me for the replacement tank due to its very poor design.
I paid $78.96 for a new tank and three hose clamps. I did all the labor and supplied the top up anti freeze.

Larry Myers
Fort Wayne, Indiana

Onan Quiet 8000 Diesel 3 years old October 31,2012 105 hrs use

Re: Another coolant recovery expansion container leak

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 10331
Do you have a 6000 or 8000 KW Onan? I believe they are different than the 5500 or 7500 KW Onan's. Sounds like it was easier to repair than the oil fill hose on my 5500.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 10332
Hi Ron,
I have the 8000 KW. It must be a lot different than the 6000 KW because I could have changed the oil fill tube in an two additional minutes work and one additional hose clamp.
Larry

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 10362
Everybody in our group that has had a coolant recovery expansion container leak should contact Onan and request a refund for there expenses as I did.
Larry