Skip to main content
Topic: Toad advice needed please (Read 383 times) previous topic - next topic

Toad advice needed please

Yahoo Message Number: 8580
We hooked up the toad for the first time on the tow dolly and gave it a whirl. Didn't tie the steering wheel down and put some custom body work on our 2010 Nissan Altima to the tune of about $200.00 in my estimate. Anyway, we got it all apart again, and I'm looking at the physics of it. The dolly has a bit pivot pin in the middle so I'm assuming it's supposed to swing back and forth a bit. It looks like it still might hit even if we keep the car itself from moving side to side. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Also, crossing a mountain pass this Wednesday and might have to chain up. Wish me luck. Thanks

Re: Toad advice needed please

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 8581
You must lock and secure the front wheels from turning, my method is; lock the steering wheel then slide the seat all the way forward, pull out the safety belt all the way and wrap it around the bottom of the wheel (twice if you can) and click the belt into its buckle then draw the seat back as tight as you can get it as an additional safety measure. The pivot and the turning off the hitch is all you need, I have pulled small cars to full size vehicles as well the limits if I remember is 50" from outside to outside of tires (check your model for specific dimensions) note in Calif. max speed is 55 some dollies recommend 45 I pull mine @ max speed posted.

Bob

To: "kodiakchassisclassc@yahoogroups.com"
Sent: Sunday, February 26, 2012 7:43 PM
Subject: [KodiakChassisClassC] Toad advice needed please

We hooked up the toad for the first time on the tow dolly and gave it a whirl. Didn't tie the steering wheel down and put some custom body work on our 2010 Nissan Altima to the tune of about $200.00 in my estimate. Anyway, we got it all apart again, and I'm looking at the physics of it. The dolly has a bit pivot pin in the middle so I'm assuming it's supposed to swing back and forth a bit. It looks like it still might hit even if we keep the car itself from moving side to side. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Also, crossing a mountain pass this Wednesday and might have to chain up. Wish me luck. Thanks