Skip to main content
Topic: Leaking radiator (2008 Jayco Seneca 36FS) (Read 543 times) previous topic - next topic

Leaking radiator (2008 Jayco Seneca 36FS)

Yahoo Message Number: 16041
Just finished dealing with my second radiator leak. First one was replaced (with OEM crap) at a GM dealership. This time the relatively new radiator developed a leak at the left tank on the lower front side. After removing it myself and bringing it to a radiator shop it was found that the aluminum tabs holding the tank to the core were not crimped down all the way. They checked all the other tabs and pressure tested it and called it good to go. This was either a poor factory assembly or too much force on the tank where the top hold down bracket holds the radiator in place. Upon reassembly I had to use washers as spacers under the hold down bracket as it seemed like the left tank was getting "crushed" as the bolts were being tightened. The reason for this post is that this seems like a common C5500/Duramax issue and this doesn't have to be an expensive repair. I made sure to recover as much coolant as I could in a clean container and only needed to replace the surge tank hose clamp with a 1" worm type to replace the crimped one that I had to cut off. I only had to add a little over one gallon of dexcool and about 2 litres of ATF as you lose the contents of the transmission cooler inside the rriradiator's right tank. We are taking about a total cost of about $40 CAD. This in contrast to a $600 replacement radiator (which could have probably been repaired) and $1100 CAD for shop labour and supplies when I had the first leak fixed. Hope this reaches somebody and helps.

Dave,
Fort McMurray, AB

Re: Leaking radiator (2008 Jayco Seneca 36FS)

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 16042

Had same issue with our 08 35GS. It was a production crimping issue according to the shop I dealt with. He repaired them on the 6500's as well.