Skip to main content
Topic: Handling tire failures (Read 686 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Handling tire failures

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 986
That video always makes me think, and then I get mad as hall.

I've also copied the video and anyone who would like to have the movie on their hard drive (it is 60 mb in size) can download it at

http://download.yousendit.com/9968046B58837533

for the next week.

What annoys me is that they explain how important it is to weigh each corner. OK, how many here have EVER had a MH delivered with the corner weights reported? How many here have EVER seen a dealer who has a scale to weigh all four corners or even each axle?

If the manufacturers and dealers were REALLY interested in RV safety the corner weights would be reported on the weight sticker and dealers of reasonable size would have scales that could weight the corners. I'd pay a reasonable amount to be able to get those weights conveniently so it might even be a decent revenue source. Try to get corner weights now - you can drive on to truckers' scales and get axles but how many can easily get all 4 corners?

Don

On 1-May-08, at 11:32 PM,

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 987

Don,

When I spoke to Fleetwood last week, that discussion came up. Fleetwood does weigh the four corners on some of their coaches, they just don't publish the weights because NHTSA does not require them to do so. Coachmen Industries is the only company that I know of that publishes those weights.

I am going to be working a storm that hit Kansas City last night during the next few weeks, and after I finish, I plan to draft a letter to NHTSA in this matter. I will publish the letter so anyone can download it, and also send it to NHTSA. If ENOUGH of us do that, they will listen. I have already done so once, the letter was "posted" in their system, then ignored.

Canada has their own "requirements." We need to put pressure there as well, if that is possible.

Denny

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 988

I also spoke with a company that certifies truck scales.. Their response was that it would cost twice as much to build a scale that weighs the four corners than it costs now, and the trucking industry does not need the four corners weighed because their trucks are required to be built with a proper weight distribution to start.

Denny

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 989
If the unloaded (just fuel and a full tank of water) corner weights had been posted in your MH would you have purchased it?

Don

On 2-May-08, at 11:48 AM,

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 991
BTW, I've not had mine weighted. I don't feel bad about axle weights in this case as Rick had his weighed before I bought mine (and I used his results in making my purchase decision) and the axle weights were pretty good. His configuration is identical to mine except we have the extra paint job and a tv in the bedroom. Given they are the same units (and I adjusted for the tv and 10 lbs of paint) I felt very safe in that decision.

I posted his results (he erred on the front axle weight which is 7,000 lbs) here last year: http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/KodiakChassisClassC/message/127

I thought the cushions were really nice with lots of room at both ends. I'm not going to bother weighing until I can get all 4 corners.

Don

On 2-May-08, at 11:48 AM,