Skip to main content
Topic: Towing a MINI (Read 988 times) previous topic - next topic

Towing a MINI

Yahoo Message Number: 14841
I love flat-towing our 2011 MINI. Light weight and with run-flat tires, a flat is not nearly as worrisome an event.

My problem is no power in the car for the brake actuator unless the ignition is on. And with the wireless entry and wireless key, that gets somewhat difficult. The whole car would be powered on.

Has anyone else run into this and come up with a workable solution?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Re: Towing a MINI

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 14842
Look at the ready brake no power required. Blue Ox also makes a system similar to the ready brake.
My car requires that key be put in assesory position then remove a fuse to keep battery from going dead. I installed a switch to by pass fuse.
Check your owners manual. There should be a section telling how to recreation tow.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 14843
Not sure I will have a manual , it's a 1989 jeep...
guess that might be the first item to order :)

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 14844
If the jeep has a standard 231 transfer case towing it is as simple as put transfer case in neutral, transmission in park, key in ignition turned one click forward to unlock the steering wheel and the vehicle is now ready to tow

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 14847
Not really. He has a 5 speed and there is NO park. I PM'd Bubba with links for discussion on this on a Jeep forum dedicated to those oldies. IMO it is an question of whether or not the tranny goes in N or 5th. I have no way determining which one is correct. Both are advocated on that forum by users saying they have done it for years with no problems.

D

ps. One has to remember that if they get one of those rare full time AWD jeeps they are not towable flat - just like the GM (Tahoe, Yukon, Escalade etc with full time AWD).

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 14848
That is why I mentioned the 231 transfer case, it is a part time 4x4 system and the most commonly used transfer case jeep uses(even today). Crawl under the jeep and look on back of the transfer case there will be a round tag that say New Process and a part number and serial number. I have always been told with the manual it needs to be in 5th gear, if it is in neutral the transmission can spin although not likely

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 14849
You can't apply that automatically to the new products. Our Cherokee has Active Drive II and it can be towed. Without it you have 4 x 4 but no neutral setting. There has been the occasional report about sales people at dealerships not fully understanding this.

231 reached end of its glorious lifetime in 2006. Interesting history and details here: http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/transfer-cases/np231/

D

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 14850
Skip, I have a battery disconnect switch installed, so the installer used the 7-pin to 6-pin cable to run a dedicated power connector to the driver side where I hook up the Patriot brake box. It also charges the toad battery and has extra bulbs in the tail light assembly for turn and brakes.

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 14852
Just info. Should work on any toad, I would think. It just bypasses the toad electrical system altogether.

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 14855
Did you restrict your towing to Texas which has a 4500 lb limit before requiring brakes? The Reciprocity agreements that have been entered into by 47 states (GA is one of the three that has not signed on - I can't remember the other 2) and 10 provinces cover driver licenses only and not issues such as vehicle length, weight, towing, brakes, etc. All states bordering Texas are 3000 lbs.

This site has a nice interactive map that provides details by state and province. http://towingworld.com/towinglaws.cfm

Don