Skip to main content
Topic: Duramax fan (Read 505 times) previous topic - next topic

Duramax fan

Yahoo Message Number: 10133
I am considering replacing the fan on our 2005 Gulfstream 6316 (2004 chassis) just on spec as it has 45,000 miles on it. Does anyone know what the part number is for the fan used on the Duramax or what the US dealers charge for them?
Thanks
Jim Mantle
Black Creek, BC

Re: Duramax fan

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 10137

one is electric amd the other mechanical i think?

Victor - KI6IM
Kodiak Diesel Dutchmen 34H

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 10138
08 to present have a viscous clutch that is valved and ECM controlled. The attached fans are
different as well. I'm talking about the diesels. As for the gasses I don't know. The fans on the
earlier models are blade shrouded and the later fans are not. I have been interested in finding
out if the later fan would bolt up to the earlier clutch that way I can stop worrying about the fan
grenading and causing the engine compartment a lot of grief.
Denny

On Nov 25, 2012, at 20:21, Victor Burns vburns1@...> wrote:

one is electric amd the other mechanical i think?

Victor - KI6IM
Kodiak Diesel Dutchmen 34H

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 10139
Roger! That is it - it is viscous center but several electrical connections for the ECM control. I had to replace mine that failed. It just would not work at all thus I was subject to high temperatures when climbing steep grades. I ordered the part when I realized what had happened at the Paso Robles Truck Center, continued on my journey carefully and on my way home had it changed out. Its big, heavy and not replaced too often as it was hard to get the part and it had to come from New Jersey (I think)

Be well,

~
Victor - KI6IM
Kodiak Diesel Dutchmen 34H Bunkhouse

To: "KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com"
Cc: Kodiak Kodiak ; "ronjhall@..."
Sent: Sunday, November 25, 2012 9:54 PM
Subject: Re: [KodiakChassisClassC] Re: Duramax fan

08 to present have a viscous clutch that is valved and ECM controlled. The attached fans are
different as well. I'm talking about the diesels. As for the gasses I don't know. The fans on the
earlier models are blade shrouded and the later fans are not. I have been interested in finding
out if the later fan would bolt up to the earlier clutch that way I can stop worrying about the fan
Denny

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 11404

Well, we just experienced our second cooling fan explosion on our C5500 Kodiak Medium Duty Super C Motorhome chassis with LLY Diesel. The current pattern is every 3 years and 15,000 miles use. Like the last time, the fan destroyed the fan shroud, put multiple holes in the radiator and made a mess of shrapnel and coolant in the engine compartment. This time, it did not break the trans cooling lines. And luckily, we never had a blade go through the hood. Same problem, the outer ring is missing and several blades are broken off. Its amazing these major failures keep occurring. Its too bad the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration did not act with a recall. The fan breaking with the hood open could cause some serious body injury or death. So much for heavy duty.

Has anyone actually installed the 08 and newer clutch and fan on the older setup? I'm not sure it would work without ECM control to regulate it. Maybe just the newer fan?, but may not matter much if it's the clutch that spins the fan too fast.

Mike
2006 Dutchman 35B, 6.6 LLY
Gilbert, AZ

Sent: Sunday, November 25, 2012 10:54 PM

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 11405
I have asked this question in the past if a later model fan blade would bolt up to the older clutch with no replies. I know that the 2008 clutch won't work as it is ECM controlled. I would like to know also if the later fan would bolt up.
Denny

"Mike E."  wrote:

Well, we just experienced our second cooling fan explosion on our C5500 Kodiak Medium Duty Super C Motorhome chassis with LLY Diesel. The current pattern is every 3 years and 15,000 miles use. Like the last time, the fan destroyed the fan shroud, put multiple holes in the radiator and made a mess of shrapnel and coolant in the engine compartment. This time, it did not break the trans cooling lines. And luckily, we never had a blade go through the hood. Same problem, the outer ring is missing and several blades are broken off. Its amazing these major failures keep occurring. Its too bad the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration did not act with a recall. The fan breaking with the hood open could cause some serious body injury or death. So much for heavy duty.

Has anyone actually installed the 08 and newer clutch and fan on the older setup? I'm not sure it would work without ECM control to regulate it. Maybe just the newer fan?, but may not matter much if it's the clutch that spins the fan too fast.

Mike
Gilbert, AZ

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 11407
Just curious, did you replace the fan drive as well the first time it exploded?

Jim Mantle, 05 GS with LLY

From: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Dennis Bradford
Sent: July-05-13 4:53 PM
To: Mike E.
Cc: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com; ronjhall@...

I have asked this question in the past if a later model fan blade would bolt up to the older clutch with no replies. I know that the 2008 clutch won't work as it is ECM controlled. I would like to know also if the later fan would bolt up.
Denny

"Mike E." mikes5115@...> wrote:

Mike

Gilbert, AZ

To: "KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com" KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com>
Cc: Kodiak Kodiak KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com>; "" ronjhall@...>

Denny

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 11408
Good question. The clutch is supposed to be self governing so it won't over speed and possibly destroy itself.
Denny

Jim Mantle  wrote:

Just curious, did you replace the fan drive as well the first time it exploded?

Jim Mantle, 05 GS with LLY

From: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Dennis Bradford
Sent: July-05-13 4:53 PM

Denny

"Mike E." mikes5115@...> wrote:

Mike

Gilbert, AZ

To: "KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com" KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com>
Cc: Kodiak Kodiak KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com>; "" ronjhall@...>

Denny

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 11415

Hi Jim, I will have to find the repair order to check, I was wondering the same since it failed again so soon. The first repair was done by a Rush Truck repair in California, we live is AZ so I could not keep close tabs on what they were doing.

To: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Friday, July 5, 2013 6:38 PM
Subject: RE: [KodiakChassisClassC] Re: Duramax fan

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 11416
I did a little looking and see that the 08 and newer fan is completely different. But also the fan shroud and how it mounts to the engine. As mentioned the clutch is also different with a wiring connector attached for ECM control. This still may mean that the newer fan may bolt up to the older hub and fit in the older shroud.

Seeing how the later model shroud was attached to the engine made me think maybe there was contact from my fan to the shroud which is mounted with the radiator and coolers to a semi floating subframe that the hood also attaches to. It seems that this sub assembly may have it's own motion and can be seen moving just by opening closing the hood. The gaps on the bottom of the shroud to the fan are less (about 1" vs. that on top, 2+").

Mike
Gilbert, AZ

Sent: Friday, July 5, 2013 4:53 PM

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 11417

A little more research found that Hayden Cooling products makes a replacement fan clutch for the 07 and older 6.6 Kodiak Medium Duty series. Has anyone tried this after market clutch?

Mike
Gilbert, AZ

Cc: "ronjhall@..."
Sent: Sunday, July 7, 2013 9:33 AM