Skip to main content
Topic: Gas light (Read 595 times) previous topic - next topic

Gas light

Yahoo Message Number: 7511
Hi all,

Coming back from a trip, about 100 miles into it, the gas light (the icon that looks like a gas pump yellow) came on.
I checked the gas cap and it is fine, I also shut off and started again and the light still on.

And yes there is diesel in the tank, I filled up before the trip, 35 gallons, and still had half a tank when the light came on.
I have not checked the owners manual yet.
Any thoughts what that might be, and how/what to do to resolve?
as always, thank you for your help.
Mo

Re: Gas light

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 7512
One in center sounds like fuel filter. Don't have book with me. Can go into limp mode I have heard. There is how to reset in book. Have had it happen with going into limp forget which light assume you have diesel. Can pickup up at Auto Zone or most parts houses. Pretty easy change.
Sent on the Sprint® Now Network from my BlackBerry®

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 7513
Thanks for the quick answer, but wonder if the light is on the mileage and not on the actual change, I had the filter changed in Feb with about 10500 miles, and now I have about 13000, but there was no light on then so no need to re-set back in February.
wonder if it is the filter again or just because the miles the light comes on.

The MH is running fine, we drove no problems even pulling the Jeep.

Should I just re-set or change fuel filter again just in case.
thank you

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 7514
Good question that is about when mine came on and did not go into limp mode. Maybe someone else knows. I assumed it was water in the fuel. Believe I read change at 15000. Again don't have book with me.

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 7515
Ours came on and less than 100 miles later we were at a dead stop as we started up a hill in Colorado. Tow bill $1000! Next time it came on, we pulled over in a safe spot and changed it out right then! We carry 3 spares now just in case!

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 7516
Mo if its the fuel pump light with three drops beside it that is the water in fuel light and the filter should be changed right away, but to get by, you should be able to drain the water out of the bottom of the filer . If its the pump with 8 dots between two bars under the pump then it is the change filter light. If you just changed it but did not reset it you should reset it now. That happened to me about 700 miles after a service, I did not realize you had to do the fuel filter reset separately either.
Turn ignition key to run (with engine off)
push the brake and accelerator pedals to the floor and hold for 10 seconds
fuel light should flash for 5 seconds
when the light stops flashing turn ignition off
that should do it if the light comes back on when you start it you may need to repeat the proceedure
good luck
hope this helps

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 7517
I had this problem with my unit 36MS 2008 and this was a reminder to replace fuel filter. Once reset it has not come on again.

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 7519
It is actually the other one with 8 dots on the bottom which it seems to be the reminding to change.
Since I changed little earlier and that was no light to reset I guess it is coming up now.
I tried the procedure to reset but when I press on the break pedal a buzz go off, not sure that was normal and then I stop.
If normal I will try again later, if not I have no ideas then.
Thank you
Month

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 7520
That buzz noise is common it is the brake boost pump. No problem to hear it when resetting the filter.

Dave Sparke

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 7522

All,

I re-set the light, with buzz and everything.
Thank you all for all good help.

The question now is: is this indeed just a warning light? I think so, but in any case I will keep an extra fuel filter in the truck just in case.
thank you again

Mo