Skip to main content
Topic: Purchase Advice (Read 582 times) previous topic - next topic

Purchase Advice

Yahoo Message Number: 8873
I am looking at purchasing a 2007 Jayco Greyhawk 33DS.

Looking for any advice on things to look for in regards to the Kodiak Chassis and Chevy 8.1L engine.

Are there any common issues to look for?

Thanks in advance.

Kevin

Re: Purchase Advice

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 8874
I'm not a fan of gas engines and would find a diesel Jayco model. But the greyhawks gas motorhomes are nice :)

bill

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 8875
I have a 07' 33ds 8.1 l and love it . I installed airbag in the rear and just use the hell out of it.... Scott

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 8876
Kevin wrote:

I am looking at purchasing a 2007 Jayco Greyhawk 33DS.

Looking for any advice on things to look for in regards to the Kodiak
Chassis and Chevy 8.1L engine.

Are there any common issues to look for?

I've got a 2007 Greyhawk 32SS gasser and have been very happy. Would I
have liked a diesel? Yup, but at the time it was also $14K more and we
spend what we can don't we, and at that point it made enough of a
difference for me personally. My wife also liked this floorplan better
than the others so that also came into play.

I've put 35,000 miles on my 8.1L without issue so far. Mine was sold as
a 5-spd Allison xmsn, but a build sheet check showed it was built late
enough in the year that it actually had a 6-spd and that makes a heckuva
difference when driving.

Other than the usual checks for roof leaks, etc there isn't much as long
as you do the standard mechanical checks. If you can have a mechanic
check it out, that's even better, but it's not always possible depending
on the dealer. Check all the roof material and see that it's good. It
probably has the TPO material like mine and if so, you want to be sure
nobody has used silicon caulking anywhere on it as it will deteriorate
the material. Yes....I'm anal about my roof.

Check the date codes on the tires being aware that at the seven year
point, you'll want to consider changing them. That's about $3K or so.

Roll around under it and check exhaust hangars, etc. They're known to
break and at one point there was a recall that put an extra hangar on
the main exhaust. Mine was included so I suspect yours would be too.

Check the exhaust hangar on the genny too. Mine lasted about two years
before it broke, but it's a do it yourself fix from the auto parts store
for about $10.

Check the big round air filter. If it's clogged up from dirty roads and
such, have them replace it for you. They're not cheap.

Check serpentine belt for cracks and have them replace it.

Enjoy the new rig.

Take care,
Greg

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 8878
tsk tsk tsk Greg.

Remember the screws in the rear cap? :)

Kevin, many 2007 models (I also had a 2007 32SS) had screws in the rear cap that were not long enough and the cap started to separate. It was an easy job for Jayco to put in the longer screws and that fixed the problem. Just have a look at the rear cap and make sure it is not parting ways with the main box.

I'd also roll underneath as Greg suggested and while there have a look at openings for water lines, drains and power lines. Many didn't have any sealant in those opening and anything and everything could get in. You may find you need a can of expandable foam to fill them.

I also agree with recommendation for airbags for the rear. Wish I'd done that on day one. I have them on the back of my current MH and they sure make a difference.

As to the diesel - much better MPG than the 8.1 more than offsetting higher diesel fuel cost. You also then get the advantage of much better torque and an exhaust brake. Of course, they come with a higher price tag. We averaged 7.6 mpg towing a Tahoe.

Good luck.

Don

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 8882
Wow you guys have been very helpful, this is exactly what I needed to know. Thank you!

Update: I went and test drove it last night. It rode very nice, suspension still seemed pretty tight. I wont be able to afford air bags or any other suspension upgrades for a while. Need to recover from the sales price first!

It had D,3,2,1 and the overdrive switch. So 5 speed.

I took it out on the freeway and it did great, pretty good get up and go. Test will be when I put my 5,000lb wakeboard boat behind it!

I did take it up about a 2 mile 12% grade hill and it seemed like it only dropped to 3rd gear, I was creeping up on a small car so I had to back off. I felt like it had one more gear in it if I had needed it.

The only thing I noticed when I drove it was a very loud squeaking from the window over the couch. I currently tolerate many noises in my 1999 26ft C Class, but only cause its old. If Im going to step up this kind of monetary volume I want it to be as perfect as it can be for a used RV. They said they would look into it for me.

Its going to take some getting use to going from a 26ft to a 33ft, plus my boat is 22.5', but is actually 26" tongue to swim step. So gas stations and boat launches will be more interesting.

At this point I have had my RV up on Craigslist and if I dont sell it before Sunday I plan to take it down and see what they'll do on trade in with the good old numbers game. I have 5 people lined up to look at my RV, 2 appts tonight alone. 3 more wanting me to call them if it doesnt sell tonight. I didnt drop my pants on it, but I have it fairly priced.

So we'll see how the rest of the week goes, either way I'm headed down Sunday to see just how cheap I can squeak it out of them for! Its a consignment and appears the owner wants out of it soon.

Thanks for your help. If you think of anything else before Sunday let me know and Ill look for it.

Thanks
Kevin

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 8883
The shifter and OD switch are the same with a 6 speed. The only way to tell is by the build codes under the driver's side visor. I'm sure someone will remember what the tranny code is for the 6 speed.

From: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of kevin.lewis527
Sent: Thursday, April 19, 2012 5:13 PM
To: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [KodiakChassisClassC] Re: Purchase Advice

Wow you guys have been very helpful, this is exactly what I needed to know. Thank you!

Update: I went and test drove it last night. It rode very nice, suspension still seemed pretty tight. I wont be able to afford air bags or any other suspension upgrades for a while. Need to recover from the sales price first!

It had D,3,2,1 and the overdrive switch. So 5 speed.

I took it out on the freeway and it did great, pretty good get up and go. Test will be when I put my 5,000lb wakeboard boat behind it!

I did take it up about a 2 mile 12% grade hill and it seemed like it only dropped to 3rd gear, I was creeping up on a small car so I had to back off. I felt like it had one more gear in it if I had needed it.

The only thing I noticed when I drove it was a very loud squeaking from the window over the couch. I currently tolerate many noises in my 1999 26ft C Class, but only cause its old. If Im going to step up this kind of monetary volume I want it to be as perfect as it can be for a used RV. They said they would look into it for me.

Its going to take some getting use to going from a 26ft to a 33ft, plus my boat is 22.5', but is actually 26" tongue to swim step. So gas stations and boat launches will be more interesting.

At this point I have had my RV up on Craigslist and if I dont sell it before Sunday I plan to take it down and see what they'll do on trade in with the good old numbers game. I have 5 people lined up to look at my RV, 2 appts tonight alone. 3 more wanting me to call them if it doesnt sell tonight. I didnt drop my pants on it, but I have it fairly priced.

So we'll see how the rest of the week goes, either way I'm headed down Sunday to see just how cheap I can squeak it out of them for! Its a consignment and appears the owner wants out of it soon.

Thanks for your help. If you think of anything else before Sunday let me know and Ill look for it.

Thanks
Kevin

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 8884
Kevin, just to confirm the transmission, have a look on the driver side sun visor (guys, that is the right place isn't it) and you will see a couple of columns of codes. If you see MTR then it means

MTR - ALLISON 1000 MH 6-
SPEED TRANSMISSION

Hopefully you will see MTR and have the six speed. Only safe way to know for sure.

Don

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 8886
I pull my Corvette on a heavy steel trailer behind my 8.1 Gulfstream 6316 all the time. Almost 20K miles of towing (yeah, we race alot) and she pulls great. Not a diesel for sure, but no slouch either. She does like the fuel though... but then again, don't they all. Good luck with the purchase, and welcome to the fold!

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 8887
Thanks for the welcome and the extra info. Especially the trans code, I'll be sure to check for that.

The first person to come look at my RV tonight ended up buying it for my full asking price. So I guess I'm a little more committed to this process now! It's either that or we'll be tent camping this summer!

The plan is to stop by the dealership and make a go of it on the one we want tomorrow after we finalize the sale of ours. It'll be a chance to check the rest of these latest suggestions.

I hope to be back with good news!

Thanks!
Kevin

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 8888
I looked back through the online ad for the RV and found this in the description "Allison 3000 MH with PTO Trans".

What does that mean?

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 8890
Kevin wrote:

I looked back through the online ad for the RV and found this in the
description "Allison 3000 MH with PTO Trans".

I'm working from memory here so don't count on accuracy, but I don't
think they put a 3000 transmission in any of these. Those are usually in
big diesel pushers and we don't have power take offs in ours either.

The really only accurate way to know is to see the build codes. See if
the dealer can send you a digital photo of the codes on the visor.

The book for the transmission that comes with the motorhome shows all
three types and isn't accurate when describing he shift indicators on
the dash. Mine matches what it shows for the 5-spd in spite of mine
having the MTR designator and it definitely has the 6-spd xmsn.

Take care,
Greg

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 8891
Kevin wrote:

The first person to come look at my RV tonight ended up buying it for my
full asking price. So I guess I'm a little more committed to this
process now! It's either that or we'll be tent camping this summer!

Wow, I sure do envy your situation :-) We toyed with buying a 40' diesel
pusher last year, but it came down to me being able to sell mine because
the trade numbers weren't good compared to what I could do if I sold
mine and did a cash deal. In the end, I decided it would be too
difficult to get mine sold and in the meantime we might end up without
one if the other got sold before I could do mine. I know that's not a
biggie, but it all seemed like a lot of effort at the time :-)

In the end I also decided while I might be able to buy the 40X, I wasn't
sure I'd be happy with the cost of ownership over the long-run in terms
of upkeep and maintenance. I think we'll be happy with the 32SS for a
while longer.

The plan is to stop by the dealership and make a go of it on the one we
want tomorrow after we finalize the sale of ours.

Good luck with it and congrats. You'll find this list very helpful on
many things even if this one doesn't work out. My feel is there is
always another one out there to be bought.

BTW, I think you said you'd be hauling a boat. I drag a 4000lb car
behind like it's not even there and I know others hauled much bigger
loads. Just keep in mind your overall combined weight.

Take care,
Greg

Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 8892
What can anyone say about the oil pressure on the 8.1 at idle? I noticed it drops pretty low but comes back up to normal. I have a 6.0 suburban that does the same. It has 133k miles so I attributed it to age. This RV is only 25k miles and it drops lower in pressure at idle than my suburban does. Should I be concerned?