Skip to main content
Topic: Missing Leg 2 AC from shore power (Read 505 times) previous topic - next topic

Missing Leg 2 AC from shore power

Yahoo Message Number: 7714
I have encountered a problem where I am totally missing leg 2 from my circuit breaker box. Running on Generator, everything is good. I have checked and double checked incoming power and it is good which leads me to the transfer switch. I have opened the TS and cannot see anything that looks like a problem. I am in Missouri, about 60 miles NW of Springfield. Checked with one repair place this morning and he didn't even look. Wanted to order a new TS and I would have to leave the motorhome with him until Monday which was unacceptable. Called Camping
World in Springfield and they can't get me in on an appointment until monday and recommended another place which said they were booked into October.

Do any of you have any further suggestions for me. Very inconvenient but I can live with it this way for a few days. I am heading from here to Caruthersville, MO and then back to Arizona.

Thanks,
Bob Barbee

Re: Missing Leg 2 AC from shore power

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 7715
I know someone else said check the fuses in the back of the box? Had that issue on another unit and that's what it was. Would not charge batteries even when plugged in. Both are 30amp.

Keith
Sent on the Sprint® Now Network from my BlackBerry®

Sender: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2011 00:08:13 -0000
To:
ReplyTo: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [KodiakChassisClassC] Missing Leg 2 AC from shore power

I have encountered a problem where I am totally missing leg 2 from my circuit breaker box. Running on Generator, everything is good. I have checked and double checked incoming power and it is good which leads me to the transfer switch. I have opened the TS and cannot see anything that looks like a problem. I am in Missouri, about 60 miles NW of Springfield. Checked with one repair place this morning and he didn't even look. Wanted to order a new TS and I would have to leave the motorhome with him until Monday which was unacceptable. Called Camping
 World in Springfield and they can't get me in on an appointment until monday and recommended another place which said they were booked into October.

Do any of you have any further suggestions for me. Very inconvenient but I can live with it this way for a few days. I am heading from here to Caruthersville, MO and then back to Arizona.

Thanks,
 Bob Barbee

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 7716
, kllasvegas@... wrote:
I know someone else said check the fuses in the back of the box? Had that issue on another unit and that's what it was. Would not charge batteries even when plugged in. Both are 30amp.

Keith, there are no fuses on the TS but there are on the converter and the converter is on leg 1 and working fine. I did check the fuses on the converter just for grins though.

Thanks,
Bob

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 7717
To Dave Sparke,

Dave, I have the Seneca 34SS and we have checked the connections coming in from the shore power.
Now you are saying from entering the coach to the transfer switch, is there something different from
the inside of the coach into the TS? Everything I did look at looked good. I talked to my dealer in
Phoenix and to Jayco Techs and we have all come to the conclusion that something is wrong with
the TS. I am still open to suggestions though.

Thanks,
Bob

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 7718
, "aakbob2003"  wrote:
To Dave Sparke,

Dave, replied here because my email service (Cox, Phoenix) through a
Verizon unit will not allow me to send regular email. I could have gone to webmail, but didn't.

Bob

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 7719
As I said I may be asking the obvious, but I am talking about the wire that runs from the female receptacle on the coach to the TS. Some people have talked about loose screws that have caused power losses. Since that is solid copper and not stranded a loose connection would be more of a problem.

Dave Sparke

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 7720
I would suspect power cord. Open ATS and check all leads coming into ATS with a volt meter. The twist-lock connectors have been known to have loose wires at either end of cable and connector that it plugs into.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 7721
, "ronjhallsr"  wrote:
I would suspect power cord. Open ATS and check all leads coming into ATS with a volt meter. The twist-lock connectors have been known to have loose wires at either end of cable and connector that it plugs into.
Best
Ron Hall

Kudo's to Ron Hall ! I checked everything Dave Sparke recommended which were really good suggestions then after Ron's suggestion, I made about 120 mile round trip to Camping World in Springfield and paid $319.00 (Presidents Club) for a new 25 ft power cord. Problem solved.
I sure would like to know what is defective in the old one though.

Thanks again,
Bob

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 7722
That is good news, those 50 Amp cords are high. This board is full of "sharp" people and Ron is a Wizard. "When Ron talks.....People Listen" !!!